Martin left due to money!

kidwell087

Hart wasn't willing to pay him more..that says a lot about how Hart felt about the future with Zo. Giving him only 2 more years with that contract says a lot as well!

Reactions: 3 people
You can't have a whole lot of confidence in a guy when you only offer him 2 more years? That was after a sweet 16 run!

He could have but I'm look mostly at how much confidence Hart had in Zo..which it doesn't seem like a whole bunch!

Yeah a big raise with not a whole lot
Of security! Zo earned that offer but the guy is a family man and looks towards the future!

Zo was given a $500,000.00 raise....Not peanuts by any standards

A nice raise - but he was on the bottom of the SEC in pay. 1.8 million puts him in the middle of the pack. After a Sweet 16 run you would think he would qualify for a salary in the 3 to 5 range of the SEC or around 2.1 or 2.2 Million. Anything less is an insult and not showing we want a competitive program by Hart.

And face it the fans even after a Sweet 16 were still grumbling an complaining - hard to argue about going somewhere for more money and more love.

Reactions: 3 people
A nice raise - but he was on the bottom of the SEC in pay. 1.8 million puts him in the middle of the pack. After a Sweet 16 run you would think he would qualify for a salary in the 3 to 5 range of the SEC or around 2.1 or 2.2 Million. Anything less is an insult and not showing we want a competitive program by Hart.

And face it the fans even after a Sweet 16 were still grumbling an complaining - hard to argue about going somewhere for more money and more love.

No...A final 4 run will net you that kind of payday...CM was nowhere near worth that kind of money...Hart said with his raise it put him in the top 30 in the country.

Reactions: 5 people
2.5 million will get you Greg Marshall, Ben Howland, Lawrence Frank, Chris Mack, Jay Wright, etc. Would you put Cuonzo in the same ballpark as these guys? Neither did Dave Hart.

Reactions: 26 people
500k raise and an extension that would have given him what, 4 years on his contract still?

Giving out huge raises and long extensions is what sunk the Hamilton AD era. That was a dang nice raise, I'll be shocked if Zo gets that money from Cal, especially with the California taxes and cost of living in the Berkeley area.

Be honest up until two weeks left in the regular season through the Tournament run what had CCM done to deserve a major raise and extension in the previous two plus years?

We still only managed to sneak into the tournament with a play in game!

Reactions: 4 people
2.5 million will get you Greg Marshall, Ben Howland, Lawrence Frank, Chris Mack, Jay Wright, etc. Would you put Cuonzo in the same ballpark as these guys? Neither did Dave Hart.

We will not be paying are next coach that much either.

He left because he could. I think it will work out for the best for both parties.

Reactions: 4 people
I have to think Cuonzo couldn't handle the heat of coaching in Knoxville (and the SEC in general). It's not easy and it seemed like the pressure was getting to him, in spite of statements to the contrary.

Cal's a lot easier on that front. Sure, he'll still lose his job if he loses, but he won't have to deal with the insane fan pressure he would in the SEC. He can walk around in Oakland, San Fran, and probably even Berkeley w/o many people recognizing him.

It was a 2 year extension and Hart didn't want to give him a extension last year! Do you think someone as smart as Zo didn't see the writing on the wall?

Be honest up until two weeks left in the regular season through the Tournament run what had CCM done to deserve a major raise and extension in the previous two plus years?

We still only managed to sneak into the tournament with a play in game!

A blowout loss to Iowa, and he may have been fired anyway.

The talent on that roster was top 25, a good coach has UT in the top 25 all season, and a #6 seed or better.

I just accidentally spell checked Cuonzo's name on my IPhone. It said there is no replacement for Cuonzo. This is the day my smart phone officially turned into a dumb phone.

Reactions: 1 person

Middle of the pack seems about right. He had one good season out of three. He showed promise, but it's hard to say he's in the SEC's top tier after one reasonably good NCAA run.

Which SEC coaches do you think he deserves to make more than?

John Calipari?
Billy Donovan?
Bruce Pearl?
Frank Martin?
Kevin Stallings?

I'd put him right in the "middle of the pack" below those guys, with Mike Anderson, Frank Haith, Andy Kennedy, and Anthony Grant.

Don't get me wrong --- I'm not happy that Cuonzo left. I wanted him to stay. But I also don't think we should've thrown mounds of money at him just to keep him around.

Reactions: 2 people
Happy he is gone. Barely made the tournament and got a very fortunate bracket to make the Sweet 16. Bring on a consistent winner

Middle of the pack seems about right. He had one good season out of three. He showed promise, but it's hard to say he's in the SEC's top tier after one reasonably good NCAA run.

Which SEC coaches do you think he deserves to make more than?

John Calipari?
Billy Donovan?
Bruce Pearl?
Frank Martin?
Kevin Stallings?

I'd put him right in the "middle of the pack" below those guys, with Mike Anderson, Frank Haith, Andy Kennedy, and Anthony Grant.

Don't get me wrong --- I'm not happy that Cuonzo left. I wanted him to stay. But I also don't think we should've thrown mounds of money at him just to keep him around.

Hart was never gonna give him something high value and long term till he proved himself. I wanted to keep him as well but to say that he ever proved himself is a long shot.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back