Still too many unknowns to give up on next year

jknox33

We are all planning on Stokes leaving in the next several hours with all the reports pointing that way. Many feel our post game is going to suffer, and likely will, with Stokes gone. I know we are looking at bringing in another big whether it be a grad transfer or a possible late JUCO addition. However, it's always interesting to see how guys step up their games when they know they absolutely have to.

Versatility may be our biggest weapon next year. The only bruisers we will have will be Pops and Turman. Then we have a list of versatility. We can put Davis, Reese, Cofer, Moore, and Cornish (he's physically mature) all at the 4 or even play small ball at times. That would mean we are seriously going to have a speed advantage offensively and have a rebounding and defensive disadvantage on the other end. Whoever we add moving forward, next years schemes will be interesting to watch. I still think we will have bench player "emerge" to truly play at or above their capabilities. Tends to happen when your backs against the wall.

Reactions: 1 person
Not worried at all...
I think this group can be better than this past year's group if we get a big

Reactions: 2 people
Not worried at all...
I think this group can be better than this past year's group if we get a big

Wow... you think we will finish top 3 in SEC, make the NCAA tourney, and go to the Elite 8 for only the second time in school history after replacing 2 ALL SEC starters and 2 other starting seniors?

I don't think we will be as horrible as most think. Our OCC schedule will probably be soft and the SEC bottom feeders will be just as bad, but I do not see how we improve over last year with Stokes gone.

I literally just posted this elsewhere but ill put it here too. I do remember Pearl's second year. We lost Major, Stanley and Patterson and were bringing in Duke and Wayne. We had Passley and Childress in he fold as well. I know the scheme was different and we utilized uptempo and speed, but who really thought that Dane would be our 4, let alone a serviceable 4? Now Turman and Cofer are no Duke and Wayne, but they stepped up their game and others stepped up too. We gotta hope...

I think that with this squad we could have a team that works as a unit from day 1 as apposed to a few weeks before the team. Obviously if Stokes stays I would not complain but I think our lineup could mesh really well next year with the addition of another big like Rhett, etc...

Here is all we need to know. With players like jordy and stokes it still took this team until Feb to get their heads out of their butts. If upper classmen can't take to a "system" by then, how can we expect these freshmen? This season will be ugly without Rhett, 14 wins tops. Martin is going to pay for not have a true big on the roster.

Agree OP. We have no idea how some of these guys will develop. I.E. Did anyone expect JRich to blow up this year? In 2009, UT was dealing with loss of JuJuan Smith and Lofton then had the suspensions. They beat Kansas and barely missed final 4. On the flip side, we have seen teams loaded with talent and experience that flop. You just never know, so instead of playing the "woe is me" fan card, predicting CCM's ouster, I will wait and see.

I'm not giving up on next yr but it certainly took a huge hit with the loss of stokes. A little bummed about that.

I'm not giving up on next yr but it certainly took a huge hit with the loss of stokes. A little bummed about that.

No doubt. I hope Cofer and Turman work hard this summer . I also look forward to seeing Armani play a bigger role. I think the biggest question for me is how Hubbs will do. I am optimistic about Thompson at pg.

No doubt. I hope Cofer and Turman work hard this summer . I also look forward to seeing Armani play a bigger role. I think the biggest question for me is how Hubbs will do. I am optimistic about Thompson at pg.

Same here, he was a pleasant surprise this season as a Freshman. If Hubbs picks up his game after surgery and J Rich keeps playing like did in the Tourny we will have a decent season.

You will see U.T. run a more traditional motion offense next season. I liked what U.T. did with the 3 out 2 in post offense with Stokes and Maymon, but that's not what Martin traditionally runs. Look for a rebounding 5 and a stretch 4. He's going to try and open up the lane and have guys like Richardson, Hubbs, Moore, and Thompson attack the rim with and without the ball.

I think next year will be the year of the Big Orange Ice Cold Double Dunkin Stunners and Gonzo Cuonzo takes a selfie while cutting the net!

You heard it here first.

I think next year will be the year of the Big Orange Ice Cold Double Dunkin Stunners and Gonzo Cuonzo takes a selfie while cutting the net!

You heard it here first.

Unless the WWE is in town, and martin gets a fish tangled getting it on the boat, Ill have to disagree.

Reactions: 5 people
There isn't much that separates our roster next year form any of the bottom feeders like Auburn, Miss State, and South Carolina. Denial.

Reactions: 3 people
There isn't much that separates our roster next year form any of the bottom feeders like Auburn, Miss State, and South Carolina. Denial.

What are you talking about? We have raw players that aren't scoring threats that are being coached by an individual that historically can't get his team to play well until Feb. You are so silly.

What are you talking about? We have raw players that aren't scoring threats that are being coached by an individual that historically can't get his team to play well until Feb. You are so silly.

What month was that Virginia game in?

And leading up to the NCAA appearance this year, so many people on here were saying "historically Martin has never taken a team to the NCAA, why would that change now?" What's your point?

Unless the WWE is in town, and martin gets a fish tangled getting it on the boat, Ill have to disagree.

It's Friday. I thought drinks started early today? Didn't have to rain on my parade and with WWE too, geez.

Good one with the landing net though. That made me chuckle. :p

Where's your other half? Thought he would've shown up by now...

dee_dum.jpg

I trust Martin's instincts on Bigs about as far as I can throw him. Long season ahead.

Really hard at this point to say how the season will go. We have some athletic players that might develop over the summer. I fully expect AJ and Armani to be far better players and I know Josh will work on his game. I am hoping Thompson can develop an offensive game he really just needs confidence he played really well in high school on offense. I'm not really counting on the freshmen to be great, but I expect we will get more help that most realize.
Both Cofer and Turman were first team All-State in their divisions. I think Austin will surprise. We have to see how everything works out. If Rhett comes and Hubbs turns into a five star we have potential to be close to this year's team. Have to see how it all unfolds way to early to determine how good or bad we'll be.

VN Store

Back