Ken Pom POY rankings

Fingers

McRae and Stokes both made his top 10.

2014 kPOY final standings
1. Russ Smith, Louisville, Sr. (kPOY rating = 1.882)
2. Shabazz Napier, Connecticut, Sr. (1.820)
3. Doug McDermott, Creighton, Sr. (1.778)
4. Nick Johnson, Arizona, Jr. (1.656)
5. Jabari Parker, Duke, Fr. (1.647)
6. Sean Kilpatrick, Cincinnati, Sr. (1.506)
7. Xavier Thames, San Diego St., Sr. (1.491)
8. Cleanthony Early, Wichita St., Sr. (1.468)
9. Jordan McRae, Tennessee, Sr. (1.465)
10. Jarnell Stokes, Tennessee, Jr. (1.450)

the kenpom.com blog

Reactions: 2 people
Also disgusts me having those two great players, and some of the awful losses we had.

Ken Pom also has UT rated 7th in the country, I think, even with those "awful losses." They must not have been as awful as we think, then, right? In fact, we lost all but one of them by a point here or there. Those losses while losses don't mean much to Ken Pom.

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't say we were awful, I said some of our losses were. The potential was there all along, we just played down to our competition quite a few times, I don't know why.

I didn't say we were awful, I said some of our losses were. The potential was there all along, we just played down to our competition quite a few times, I don't know why.

Who cares. We had a great finish. We ended where we all thought we would. Top 25, sweet 16.

Reactions: 3 people
I'll tell you why we play down to our competition...because CM is not a good motivator of young men. The team did not play well until the SEC tournament and on into the NCAA tournament. That is a motivation problem.

I'll tell you why we play down to our competition...because CM is not a good motivator of young men. The team did not play well until the SEC tournament and on into the NCAA tournament. That is a motivation problem.

Stop it, stop it, just pleaseeeeeeee stop it!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Didn't see a single UK player on that list & they're all going to the NBA next year...

Before the naysayers get carried away, Stokes and McCrae's listing as the 9th and 10th best players is also heavily reliant on the fact that Tennessee is the 7th best team in the country - according to KenPom. His kPOY rating are tied to overall team performance (ie picking the best players from the best teams). It's why Doug McDermott isn't #1. His team faltered down the stretch

Ken Pom also has UT rated 7th in the country, I think, even with those "awful losses." They must not have been as awful as we think, then, right? In fact, we lost all but one of them by a point here or there. Those losses while losses don't mean much to Ken Pom.

I think those rankings are based a lot more on offensive and defensive efficiency statistics and strength of schedule than on wins and losses.

VN Store

Back