Larry Austin: 23.9ppg 8.5rpg 3.2apg 3.2spg

Phil Cofer: 21.6ppg 12.6rpg 3.3bpg

CJ Turman: 10.3ppg 11.7rpg 7.5bpg

Reactions: 11 people
Jordan Cornish: 23.5ppg 8.1rpg 4.8apg

Very impressive. This class will be a good one. If CCM can add pieces for 2015 and have them all mature and come together the future is bright.

Reactions: 1 person
Turman's numbers trouble me a little, but the others are where you want to see good high school prospects.

Turman's numbers trouble me a little, but the others are where you want to see good high school prospects.

His blocks numbers don't trouble me the least. He also played on a team with a D1 guard who took majority of the shots, Turman just kinda did the dirty work.

With that said, out of all the signees he's the most offensive challenged, but I'm thrilled to be adding a rim protector...the offense can be taught and developed, shot blocking not so much.

Very impressive. This class will be a good one. If CCM can add pieces for 2015 and have them all mature and come together the future is bright.

These are the types of classes that I think if given time you can build a program on. In other words, if we could get 4 years of classes similar to last years and this years, I think that just fine.

Will all these freshman be ready to play? Probably not, but if you have upperclassmen ahead of them, so that they're not having to play much or can even redshirt 1, then I think you can build a solid program.

Jmo

Reactions: 2 people
7.5 blocks a game is pretty impressive...

It is, but 6'9 245 pound high schoolers should dominate all phases. Turman doesn't always go all out in games though. Hopefully we won't have to rely on him next year and that problem gets taken care of by the coaches.

It is, but 6'9 245 pound high schoolers should dominate all phases. Turman doesn't always go all out in games though. Hopefully we won't have to rely on him next year and that problem gets taken care of by the coaches.

Cliff Alexander who is one of the best shot blocking bigs in this class, and is a projected lottery pick in 2015 averaged 6 blocks per game.

Jordan Cornish: 23.5ppg 8.1rpg 4.8apg

What about M.J. Rhett's stats? I know he hasn't committed but we have to think positively......

What about M.J. Rhett's stats? I know he hasn't committed but we have to think positively......

He hasn't committed and isn't a signee, so definitely wasn't including him.

As far as his stats in D1 basketball at TSU...

10.9ppg 9.1rpg 1.0bpg 54.1%fg 72.2%ft

Not that he played against the same competition, but everyone of those numbers is slightly better than Jeronne Maymon, and there's no way he's as much of a defensive liability IMO.

Last edited:
Cliff Alexander who is one of the best shot blocking bigs in this class, and is a projected lottery pick in 2015 averaged 6 blocks per game.

Which is why I agreed that his BPG was impressive. Alexander also averaged 24 points and 15 rebounds a game in Chicago vs some of the best high school teams in the nation vs a small school in somewhat rural Georgia.

Which is why I agreed that his BPG was impressive. Alexander also averaged 24 points and 15 rebounds a game in Chicago vs some of the best high school teams in the nation vs a small school in somewhat rural Georgia.

And that's why he's not a top 10 recruit like Alexander, there are holes in his game. I'm simply talking about his BPG, it sounded as if you were diminishing it by saying well he's 6'9" 240lbs, that's what he should do.

And that's why he's not a top 10 recruit like Alexander, there are holes in his game. I'm simply talking about his BPG, it sounded as if you were diminishing it by saying well he's 6'9" 240lbs, that's what he should do.

I'm saying he's 6'9 and 240, he should be averaging 20/15/5+ against the level of competition he played. But he doesn't go hard all the time. He's the one player I watched in person from the class a couple of times. He's got the body of Wayne Chism but not the work ethic. I'm hoping the coaches can correct that.

I'm saying he's 6'9 and 240, he should be averaging 20/15/5+ against the level of competition he played. But he doesn't go hard all the time. He's the one player I watched in person from the class a couple of times. He's got the body of Wayne Chism but not the work ethic. I'm hoping the coaches can correct that.

So you're saying he greatly exceeds your expectations for blocks, about meets expectations for rebounds, and doesn't meet expectations for scoring?

Like I said above, there's holes in his game and maybe effort is one of those, but Martin typically steers clear of guys with effort issues. As I also mentioned, he played on a team with a guard who shoots a lot and has the ball in his hands a lot, so maybe offensively he tunes out a bit watching Tookie dribble for 30 seconds.

To me effort and offense can likely be taught, I'm very excited about a guy who averages damn near 8bpg, that's not something you see everyday and something Tennessee hasn't had in a long time.

So you're saying he greatly exceeds your expectations for blocks, about meets expectations for rebounds, and doesn't meet expectations for scoring?

Like I said above, there's holes in his game and maybe effort is one of those, but Martin typically steers clear of guys with effort issues. As I also mentioned, he played on a team with a guard who shoots a lot and has the ball in his hands a lot, so maybe offensively he tunes out a bit watching Tookie dribble for 30 seconds.

To me effort and offense can likely be taught, I'm very excited about a guy who averages damn near 8bpg, that's not something you see everyday and something Tennessee hasn't had in a long time.

He's just all over the place effort wise from night to night. In the second round of the play-offs this year Kyvon Davenport just killed him. He had 21 points and 24 rebounds vs Turman and out worked and out played him overall. That wasn't uncommon this year for Turman. But neither was being motivated and having a big game.

I hope Turman can guard the rim well, but against stepped up competition his numbers will come to earth in that department. Even Alexander, who's a freak, top 5 player with a 7'3" wingspan only averaged 1.6 blocks per game in Eybl this year vs similarly talented players.

We'll see, to me averaging 7.5bpg isn't a fluke and likely will translate into him being at least a decent rim protector in college, something Tennessee has lacked.

Tennessee has a history of big men bust in my opinion. Would be nice for an under the radar over achiever. Here's hoping.

We'll see, to me averaging 7.5bpg isn't a fluke and likely will translate into him being at least a decent rim protector in college, something Tennessee has lacked.

Per his coach in a scout story after the season, Turman wound up at 4 bpg. Those stats you have are six game stats. He had three double digit block games in those first six and that ballooned his number. Still good numbers, though. Coach said he averaged 13.1 ppg and 11.4 rpg. Only thing I question on him is intensity.

Last edited:

What also stands out to me is all 4 average 8+ rebs per game and two of them 10+. While Maymon may not have had great mobility this year, his rebounding will be greatly missed and (heaven forbid) if Stokes leaves we will need good rebounders all around to take up that slack.

He probably could average somewhere in that neighborhood if he were the focal point of his team offensively. The two guards are the offensive machine there. Both are high D1 players, so Turman is relegated to putbacks and the rare offensive move on a post feed.

He does have a lit bit of a rep for being lackadaisical at times, but it isn't the major contributor to his relatively low scoring average.

He probably could average somewhere in that neighborhood if he were the focal point of his team offensively. The two guards are the offensive machine there. Both are high D1 players, so Turman is relegated to putbacks and the rare offensive move on a post feed.

He does have a lit bit of a rep for being lackadaisical at times, but it isn't the major contributor to his relatively low scoring average.
The one night - small sample size - I saw him, it wasn't lack of opportunity as much as lack of effort. He got the ball in the post enough, just wasn't looking to score. Not as raw as I was led I believe. He needs a coach to light a fire under him.

Austin was ranked number 68 puts up huge numbers and falls to 111. You really have to wonder about rankings when that happens. Cofer dunked in one game broke the goal. Turman has a lot of elevation for 245 pounds. Cornish looks to have good numbers much better than his ranking.

VN Store

Back