Stokes and the draft

jknox33

The 2014 NBA draft has been considered "deep" this year. There are a plethora of athletes coming out. Stokes is considered a 2nd round pick by NBADraft.net and I don't think I've heard of one mock draft with him as a guaranteed contract, 1st Rounder.

Just looking at power forwards coming out that are considered 1st rounders (not including Euros), we have:
Julius Randle
Noah Vonleh
Aaron Gordon
Adriean Payne
Montrezl Harrell

The 2nd Round power forwards are:
Cory Jefferson
James Michael-McAdoo
Johnny O'Bryant
Juvonte Reddic

This is a pretty deep and athletic list of just power forwards. There is a deeper list of the top small forwards this year as well. I think it is really risky for Stokes to come out this year. Do I want Stokes in the NBA? Absolutely! He really has done everything you can ask of him this year and his stock probably isn't going to be higher. This just is not be the best class to come out on IMO. Choose wisely, Stokes!

Reactions: 2 people
It really just depends on if a team loves what he brings to the table, and believes they can improve a few small deficiencies. He has improved every year. IMO so I expect him to be toward the top of that second rd, if he decides to come out.

It really just depends on if a team loves what he brings to the table, and believes they can improve a few small deficiencies. He has improved every year. IMO so I expect him to be toward the top of that second rd, if he decides to come out.

I would agree. However, it would take a team that prioritizes "skill" over athleticism. Stokes doesn't just haphazardly knock people out of the way for rebounds. He has very good positioning and a knack for knowing where the ball will be. I think he is a great athlete, but I wouldn't out him in the category of a Adriean Payne, Cory Jefferson or James McAdoo. The NBA seems to love pure athleticism over skill at least in the draft.

If he was an inch taller, he'd be a good choice if Memphis wants to get rid of the Z-Bo contract.

I would agree. However, it would take a team that prioritizes "skill" over athleticism. Stokes doesn't just haphazardly knock people out of the way for rebounds. He has very good positioning and a knack for knowing where the ball will be. I think he is a great athlete, but I wouldn't out him in the category of a Adriean Payne, Cory Jefferson or James McAdoo. The NBA seems to love pure athleticism over skill at least in the draft.

This. There isn't one NBA team that realistically would take Stokes over Payne or McAdoo. Most teams would probably prioritize Jefferson higher too for the same reasons, though I don't think he is in the same category from a skills standpoint, and he is 3 years older than Stokes.

The emphasis on athleticism in the NBA works against Jarnell, as teams believe they can teach the skills. They can't teach the athleticism that Stokes doesn't possess like those other players.

Last edited:
This. There isn't one NBA team that realistically would take Stokes over Payne or McAdoo. Most teams would probably prioritize Jefferson higher too for the same reasons, though I don't think he is in the same category from a skills standpoint, and he is 3 years older than Stokes.

The emphasis on athleticism in the NBA works against Jarnell, as teams believe they can teach the skills. They can't teach the athleticism that Stokes doesn't possess like those other players.

Mcadoo is actually predicted below stokes on most mock drafts bc he is considered soft.

Mcadoo is actually predicted below stokes on most mock drafts bc he is considered soft.

I know where he is projected by mocks, but in reality, his ceiling is thought to be much higher because he is a plus athlete, and Stokes is not.

The second rd of the NBA draft is very difficult to predict, and honestly, it only takes one team falling in love with you. I've just seen far more athletes get the benefit of the doubt over skilled players lacking elite athleticism for me to really believe a player like Stokes is going to get the nod over an athlete like McAdoo. I'd love to be surprised, but NBA execs are willing to overlook softness and raw skill in the 2nd rd in anticipation of finding that lottery ticket athlete.

I know where he is projected by mocks, but in reality, his ceiling is thought to be much higher because he is a plus athlete, and Stokes is not.

The second rd of the NBA draft is very difficult to predict, and honestly, it only takes one team falling in love with you. I've just seen far more athletes get the benefit of the doubt over skilled players lacking elite athleticism for me to really believe a player like Stokes is going to get the nod over an athlete like McAdoo. I'd love to be surprised, but NBA execs are willing to overlook softness and raw skill in the 2nd rd in anticipation of finding that lottery ticket athlete.

Stokes will be projected a second rounder no matter when he goes.....it will be up to him to go to the draft camps and be dominant......mcadoo would have been drafted off athleticism the yr before but alot of scouts have completely soured....he will have to prove himself too.

Stokes will be projected a second rounder no matter when he goes.....it will be up to him to go to the draft camps and be dominant......mcadoo would have been drafted off athleticism the yr before but alot of scouts have completely soured....he will have to prove himself too.

I was just about to type this. The only thing that is going to move Stokes to the 1st round is a growth spurt and lengthening his arms. Even if he develops a 15 footer next year (which I think he can already shoot but doesn't need to in college...his stroke is very good from the line) it won't make a difference.

I was just about to type this. The only thing that is going to move Stokes to the 1st round is a growth spurt and lengthening his arms. Even if he develops a 15 footer next year (which I think he can already shoot but doesn't need to in college...his stroke is very good from the line) it won't make a difference.

Yeah but I do think he will be in the nba bc he is a dominant rebounder and someone can use that on their bench or if he can overcome his deficiencies a decent starter in the nba.

Absolutely. This is how I feel as well. I hope Stokes is a lottery pick, but it's hard when the NBA sees skill over athleticism as a weakness. It didn't use to be this way.

The days of the bruisers have been coming to an end. They are trying to make the game less physical and more fluid. This is why I love the college game. There are less changes and an appreciation for ball players, regardless of athleticism.

Even if he develops a 15 footer next year (which I think he can already shoot but doesn't need to in college...his stroke is very good from the line) it won't make a difference.

I respectfully disagree with this position. With a smooth 15'-18' jump shot, he would be a Karl Malone clone IMHO.

I think Stokes would have a very tough time guarding the elite athletes in the NBA

Just in the tournament Stokes was dominated on defense by the random Iowa kid, and then in the Michigan game he struggled a ton

I can't see Stokes being drafted very high, if at all

I think Stokes would have a very tough time guarding the elite athletes in the NBA

Just in the tournament Stokes was dominated on defense by the random Iowa kid, and then in the Michigan game he struggled a ton

I can't see Stokes being drafted very high, if at all

I agree he has some defensive issues he needs to improve. But to use "he'll have a tough time guarding elite NBA athletes" to support that argument doesn't make sense to me. All guys struggle guarding elite athletes in the NBA.....they're elite for a reason.

I agree he has some defensive issues he needs to improve. But to use "he'll have a tough time guarding elite NBA athletes" to support that argument doesn't make sense to me. All guys struggle guarding elite athletes in the NBA.....they're elite for a reason.

That's a good point. Imagine being expected to shut Labron down. LOL!

I guess I'm saying that in the NBA, you can't rely on help defense, and there is a lot of one on one defense, and I think that Stokes is unable to guard a 4-guard one on one from the perimeter

I guess I'm saying that in the NBA, you can't rely on help defense, and there is a lot of one on one defense, and I think that Stokes is unable to guard a 4-guard one on one from the perimeter

It be tough for him I guard stretch 4's in the NBA consistently without learning better angles. Most bigs get exposed anyways by guards on defensive switches. He could guard athletic bigs on the blocks with better positioning and leverage, but that needs to be learned at this point IMO.

IMHO, I believe its reasonable to think CCM instructed Stokes to be very careful defensively due to having no reliable back up on the bench to replace him in case of foul trouble. Stokes demonstrated quick reflexes on his offensive moves and while grabbing rebounds. Physically, I don't see any reason he couldn't be an average NBA defender able to stay in front of other NBA power forwards. Asking if he can defend James is unfair IMHO as he's an athletic freak and the NBA's best player. From my limited NBA viewing, there's a lot of current NBA guys that don't defend much at all.

his stock probably isn't going to be higher.

I disagree. He has improved drastically every year he's been here. If he can develop his jumper, his draft stock will go up cobsiderably. Not to mention the continued improvement in his post moves.

VN Store

Back