2014-2015 Line up?

It's Gr8 2 B a V

PG- Darius Thompson
As a freshman, thompson had his ups and downs, especially competing for playing time with Antonio Barton. However, there were promising flashes from the young Memphis native that shows he can mature into a consistent and reliable starting point guard.

SG- Robert Hubbs III
Hubbs was a consensus 5* recruit hampered by a shoulder injury his first year on Rocky Top. He struggled to keep up with the college pace and usually settled for jump shots and 3 point shots. His high school film shows that he is more than that. He can be a very aggressive attacker to the rim as shown by some of his dunks on his Hoops Mixtape highlight reel. With a good offseason of rehab and strength conditioning, Hubbs can breakout and beast next season and prove his 5* title.

G/F- Josh Richardson
One of the great surprises this season, Richardson has made the next step from a role player to a consistent and reliable starter. Although known for his lockdown defense, his offense, especially during the NCAA Tournament was clearly displayed. His shooting is better than most think. A little more confidence in his jump shot and he could become the type of scorer Jordy Mac was. Richardson will be a captain for next year's team.

G/F- Jarnell Stokes (if he comes back) or Armani Moore
There isn't much to be said about Jarnell other than that he's a beast and has really come a long way since his freshman year. His return is still in question, but I hope he does what he feels is best for him. Armani Moore has also continued to develop nicely under Coach Martin's tough nose style of play. He has become a very aggressive rebounder and shot blocker as well as an improved scoring ability around the rim. I think Moore is a little under-appreciated and underrated. He will prove his skills this coming season.

F- M.J. Rhett (if he transfers to UT) or CJ Turman
We don't know much about these two other than that they are both very aggressive and play above the rim. Rhett is obviously the veteran here and has many seasons of college basketball experience under his belt. Hopefully Rhett decides to transfer to UT as he would be desperately needed to replace Maymon's spot, especially if Stokes decides to leave for the NBA.

Key Reserves:
Derek Reese
AJ Davis

I feel like this team has the potential to have as much success as they did this past season. Martin's style of play is very clear and it seems to work very well in the tournament. The tough minded and physical style of play is somewhat rare these days, so many teams hate playing such a physical wrestling match style of game against the Vols. Hopefully Martin and staff can develop these players and find themselves playing in a Championship soon! GBO

Reactions: 4 people
Lots of "ifs" there but we have the potential to be a tournament team again if the cards fall right.

Reactions: 1 person
I think this is the best lineup with maybe Austin starting over Thompson if he comes in looking really good. I like the spark that we got when Armani and Thompson came into games off the bench.

I'd expect this to be the line up tho, with Josh, Jarnell, and Hubbs being the go-to scorers. I expect all to be right around or above the 15 ppg mark.

This will be merged shortly.

Why? It's the offseason man, not a lot to talk about right now. If you don't like seeing those threads then come back in October because that's what majority of these threads are going to be about. I enjoy reading different fans perspectives about the team.

Why? It's the offseason man, not a lot to talk about right now. If you don't like seeing those threads then come back in October because that's what majority of these threads are going to be about. I enjoy reading different fans perspectives about the team.
We were discussing recruiting and stuff earlier and it got merged. Thought it was a good conversation. Went back to check in in it and it was merged. Expected the same here. Sorry.

This. I'm glad to see Martin go after more athletic bigs that can jam the ball. I can tell he's going to be a fan favorite and most likely be an all sec forward by time he's a junior or senior.

If Stokes stay and Rhett comes we'll have the best bigs in the conference. Add Cofer and Thurman and we could sub a big for a big.

I think this team might actually be better than this past year. At least during the early parts of the season. I'm going to say something very bold here, but having Jordan McRae on the team wasn't always necessarily a blessing. He was a very very good player, don't get me wrong, but it was almost unhealthy how many points he felt like he needed to score a game, he ended up getting close most games, but when we played the kinda ball where he got 22+ pts, we didn't look very good as a team at all really. The games when he would scored 15-17 and Jarnell had 18-20 looked a lot better than the games where he had 20+ pts and Jarnell had 12 or around there. I actually think next year will have a lot more balance and I think most of the starting roster will mainly all be on the same level. I also think we were in a weird position last year for the first part because we pretty much knew Maymon had to play if we wanted to win, but he was missing a lot of easy layups and short shots early to mid season, but we couldn't really bench him with what we had on the bench. I think this team comes out stronger early, and maybe doesn't finish quite as strong but at least locks up a 5 or 6 seed in the tournament and is one of the more sleeper teams going in.

Stokes + Rhett = NCAA+
Stokes only = Bubble
Rhett only = NIT
No Stokes / Rhett = Pitchforks come out

Reactions: 2 people
Exactly my point. I think Larry's gonna be really good, and his defense is gonna make Zo fall in love with him. If Thompson can come in and beat him out that would be very impressive.

Lol I just don't think Austin will be ready to start come November. If he is, that's great, but I think Thompson's experience and probable improvement will prevail.

Reactions: 1 person
I think this team might actually be better than this past year. At least during the early parts of the season. I'm going to say something very bold here, but having Jordan McRae on the team wasn't always necessarily a blessing. He was a very very good player, don't get me wrong, but it was almost unhealthy how many points he felt like he needed to score a game, he ended up getting close most games, but when we played the kinda ball where he got 22+ pts, we didn't look very good as a team at all really. The games when he would scored 15-17 and Jarnell had 18-20 looked a lot better than the games where he had 20+ pts and Jarnell had 12 or around there. I actually think next year will have a lot more balance and I think most of the starting roster will mainly all be on the same level. I also think we were in a weird position last year for the first part because we pretty much knew Maymon had to play if we wanted to win, but he was missing a lot of easy layups and short shots early to mid season, but we couldn't really bench him with what we had on the bench. I think this team comes out stronger early, and maybe doesn't finish quite as strong but at least locks up a 5 or 6 seed in the tournament and is one of the more sleeper teams going in.

Hate to knock a guy like Jordy, but he probably lost as many games for us on defense as he won on offense. You never knew if he felt like defending.
I'd expect another slow start next season.
Hopefully the ending is as good or better.

Stokes is the key. If he comes back, we could be pretty good. If not, it's time to make a "Glory Road" recruiting trip or two!

Lol I just don't think Austin will be ready to start come November. If he is, that's great, but I think Thompson's experience and probable improvement will prevail.

The UVA PG reminds me a lot of Austin, was rated lower than Austin and is a very similar player. I like Thompson's potential, but we all know Zo's thoughts on defense and LA is talked about as the best defensive PG in the country in this class.

The UVA PG reminds me a lot of Austin, was rated lower than Austin and is a very similar player. I like Thompson's potential, but we all know Zo's thoughts on defense and LA is talked about as the best defensive PG in the country in this class.

Well I'll be a happy camper if Austin can match or exceed Thompson's offensive effectiveness and provide even better defense.

VN Store

Back