SEC Teams In NCAA Tournament

Tux

SEC gets 3 teams in, all make sweet 16

2 in the final 4, and 1 in the NC.

This conference is just too weak, wish it could be more like Big-10, or Big-12.

Reactions: 2 people
SEC gets 3 teams in, all make sweet 16

2 in the final 4, and 1 in the NC.

The conference is top heavy. 2 perineal contenders, U.T., and then everyone else. There are numerous team that don't even care about basketball in the SEC.

Reactions: 7 people
The conference is top heavy. 2 perineal contenders, U.T., and then everyone else. There are numerous team that don't even care about basketball in the SEC.

While true, every conference is "top heavy". The SEC had only one team in the AP Top 25 before the NCAA tournament started. The point is that the SEC was GROSSLY under-rated. We only got 3 teams in the tournament and had 3 teams make the Sweet 16, and Tennessee had to play an "extra" game to get there.

The mighty Kentucky lost to LSU, South Carolina, and got swept by Arkansas. I think the conference ended up quite a bit stronger than the "experts" thought. It is not a surprise that the RPI isn't such a perfect tool to determine seeding.

Reactions: 5 people

Florida is a perineal contender, but, they are of recent vintage and their history hardly compares to Kentucky. Tennessee, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri and Alabama have enjoyed success in hoops far further back in history than Florida has. Florida history of hoops success was nonexistent until Norm Sloan arrived in the mid 1980's.

As for the future, Missouri has the petigree with their history as does Arkansas. LSU and Tennessee can also be good if they are willing to commit to hoops.

Alabama seemingly has sold out all other sports for football. I am not sure how commited they are to getting back to being competitive in hoops.

It is up to the fans to be committed. If they show up for the games, they generate the buzz that a program needs to blossom.

LOL at that malaprop. :lol:

Taint sure if you meant to relate FL and UK to the perineum or not, but I often think of them as very close to the anus myself.

LOL at that malaprop. :lol:

Taint sure if you meant to relate FL and UK to the perineum or not, but I often think of them as very close to the anus myself.

I think perineal fits fairly well with both of those. I have an English degree...so maybe it was intentional.

Does it really matter when, like he said, teams that seemingly don't care still show up.

Florida is a perineal contender, but, they are of recent vintage and their history hardly compares to Kentucky. Tennessee, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri and Alabama have enjoyed success in hoops far further back in history than Florida has. Florida history of hoops success was nonexistent until Norm Sloan arrived in the mid 1980's.

As for the future, Missouri has the petigree with their history as does Arkansas. LSU and Tennessee can also be good if they are willing to commit to hoops.

Alabama seemingly has sold out all other sports for football. I am not sure how commited they are to getting back to being competitive in hoops.

What Tennessee basketball history?

The same Tennessee that has a winning record against Florida in hoops, all time. The same Tennessee that is tied with LSU for second in number of SEC regular-season championships, all time. The same Tennessee that has a winning record against all SEC schools in hoops, except for Kentucky and Alabama.

Need any other history?

Reactions: 4 people

Tennessee has more basketball history than FL...prior to Billy Donovan FLs best BB player was Neal Walk...Tennessee under Ray Mears produced pettenial winning teams with AAs like Widby, Robbins, Boerwinkle, Ernie, Bernie, Houston, Ellis etc. The SEC was KY,UT and Vandy. Florida was a nobody.

Last edited:
Before Florida got Billy D I think they had made the tourney like 5 times. Could be wrong but I thought I heard that.

Before Florida got Billy D I think they had made the tourney like 5 times. Could be wrong but I thought I heard that.

That sounds about right. Lon Kruger an Norm Sloan are the two coaches who took them to the tourney previously, for sure. There may have been one other who did it pre 1980's, but I doubt it.

Florida was a basketball black hole until Norm Sloan arrived in the 1980's. They had marginal success under him. Their real success did not begin until Lon Kruger and Donovan.

Last edited:
Yeah, well, whatever the outcome you are still an embarrassment to UT sports and to human kind in general. Dumber than a bag of hammers. Like I've said before, you live up to your name.

Pointing out the disparaging comments toward our conference from a feculent sports writer makes me dumb? I’ll have to admit I don’t see how you make that connection.

You forgot about Auburn, they have very little history, but with BP they will become a force. If Auburn gets good, the Bama folks won't be able to take it for long, so they will become more committed.

True, but really don't care. KY & UF regularly have legit FF contenders. I could care less if the SEC stinks as long as the Vols spank everyone and play for championships.

Reactions: 1 person
True, but really don't care. KY & UF regularly have legit FF contenders. I could care less if the SEC stinks as long as the Vols spank everyone and play for championships.

This

I hate SEC rah rah ish. At least we made a run in basketball, it was far more annoying when the ff was doing it.

I don't have the numbers, but I remember as far back as the 50s. Before Billy, Tennessee and other SEC teams could hardly wait for UF to come up on the schedule Often the score at halftime in the UF game would be something like Tennessee 41 to 20. Uf was one of the easiest teams to beat we had on our schedule. Coach D certainly changed the basketball atmosphere at UF.

I am not sure UF ever made the NCAAT before Coach D arrived.

VN Store

Back