JoeVols, BPO, etc., Let's place a wager?

D.C. Vol

Since some of you think we'll be so bad next year, I would like to know exactly what you approximate our results will be and where we will be playing our basketball in March? Win/loss totals, and postseason predictions. After Stokes makes his announcement to return, and Rhett has packed his bags for the short trek over to Knoxville, I have a feeling your doom and gloom season isn't looking so likely at this point.

Reactions: 2 people
Since some of you think we'll be so bad next year, I would like to know exactly what you approximate our results will be and where we will be playing our basketball in March? Win/loss totals, and postseason predictions. After Stokes makes his announcement to return, and Rhett has packed his bags for the short trek over to Knoxville, I have a feeling your doom and gloom season isn't looking so likely at this point.

If Rhett arrives and Stokes stays we should expect 25 regular season wins, 2nd at worst in the SEC and a top 4 NCAA seed.

If stokes and Rhett are on the same team then I expect a NCAA tourney and 3rd in the sec.

With Florida's personnel losses, I think we should be 2nd at worst. If Kentucky's next 1st round draft class has issues, 1st isn't out of the question at all.

If Rhett arrives and Stokes stays we should expect 25 regular season wins, 2nd at worst in the SEC and a top 4 NCAA seed.

I think a lot of regular season success will depend on how fast Thompson and Hubbs develop into their new roles. Our frontcourt would be the strongest in the league, but our backcourt would be the biggest question facing the Vols going into next season. I expect us to improve over the course of the season and be another formidable matchup for anyone during the month of March. I also remain hopeful that our freshmen will be contributors as our depth could also be debated.

With Florida's personnel losses, I think we should be 2nd at worst. If Kentucky's next 1st round draft class has issues, 1st isn't out of the question at all.

Probably right but I'm never going count fl out of the mix. I respect their coaching and I'm sure recruit well. I expect 3 rd at worst.

Reactions: 1 person

And this is why we have fans unhappy with our coach. How anyone can make a season prediction without even looking at the schedule is beyond me smh...

Reactions: 10 people

Our results will certainly hinge on whether Stokes comes back or not. Wait until he makes a decision and then take a poll. Without him and Rhett we are going to struggle? Pops and Reese inside -exclusive of freshmen. Uggg - not pretty. Too much unknown at this time to opine imo.

Ummm...even with Stokes and Rhett we're not as talented as this year's roster that barely snuck into the tourney.

A rude awakening is coming for many of you.

Reactions: 11 people
And this is why we have fans unhappy with our coach. How anyone can make a season prediction without even looking at the schedule is beyond me smh...

Look at it this way. We know for sure who 18 games are going to be against.

We know for sure that we're going to play at least 7 tomato cans regardless of what names are on the jersey.

That only leaves 5-6 games we're not 100 percent sure of for next year. I would imagine they'll be beatable.

So to me, it's reasonable to guess at what our results should be next season.

Probably right but I'm never going count fl out of the mix. I respect their coaching and I'm sure recruit well. I expect 3 rd at worst.

Donovan has a history of being good but not great following losing a bunch of seniors and he loses 4 big minute seniors this year, including the SEC POY.

I expect to win at least 28 games and go to the final 4. And if they don't meet my expectations, I am going to pout. Heck I may even start a petition who knows.

Reactions: 7 people

Most just expect to be safely inside the tourney.....if he does that we will be happy.

Donovan has a history of being good but not great following losing a bunch of seniors and he loses 4 big minute seniors this year, including the SEC POY.

I understand that but I'm still not going to say I expect second place. To be honest as long as we make the tourney next yr I'll be happy. That being said we. Lost maymon jordy and Barton. 3 big min guys.

Ummm...even with Stokes and Rhett we're not as talented as this year's roster that barely snuck into the tourney.

They won't be as experienced as this yrs team, but I think they'll be more athletic.

Austin/Cornish>Barton
Cofer/Rhett>Maymon

Truth is they could have anywhere from 17-23 wins, in the regular season. But I don't see less than 17 with the expected roster. JMO

I understand that but I'm still not going to say I expect second place. To be honest as long as we make the tourney next yr I'll be happy. That being said we. Lost maymon jordy and Barton. 3 big min guys.

That's why Rhett is the key, bringing in a senior to replace Maymon will be a good way to absorb that shock. Hubbs will hopefully go a good ways towards replacing Jordy's scoring and I hope Austin can be a wash with Barton at worst. Barton didn't exactly light it up most of the year.

Lots of hoping and assuming there.

I'd also prefer that Martin recruit well enough to avoid having to bring in the barton/Rhett types who play for a year then leave. Leaves too big a hole unless you're Calipari and are singing 5-7 AAs each year, which we obviously won't be doing.

That's why Rhett is the key, bringing in a senior to replace Maymon will be a good way to absorb that shock. Hubbs will hopefully go a good ways towards replacing Jordy's scoring and I hope Austin can be a wash with Barton at worst. Barton didn't exactly light it up most of the year.

Reactions: 2 people
If Stokes returns we should make the tournament without worrying about the bubble. If he doesn't we should still win 18-20 games. The league will be worse next year. With the confidence shown in Coach Martin the NCAA should always be a given.

I'd also prefer that Martin recruit well enough to avoid having to bring in the barton/Rhett types who play for a year then leave. Leaves too big a hole unless you're Calipari and are singing 5-7 AAs each year, which we obviously won't be doing.

Getting people like Barton and Rhett help development of the incoming recruits. I would rather get him than put a fr on the floor from day one.

I agree, we need to knock it out of the park in recruiting in 2015. With a new contract/extension/raise and the sweet 16, the 2015 class should be excellent.

We'll have at least 3 openings, maybe even 4. That should be a good set up for a top 20 class.

Florida is bringing in the #6 class in the country to go along with Hill, Frazier, and Finney-Smith. I don't see how we would be above them next year.

6. Florida 2014 commits (National rank)
SF Devin Robinson (No. 20)
SG Brandone Francis (No. 26)
PG Chris Chiozza (No. 38)
Billy Donovan and the Gators keep bringing talent down to the swamp. Robinson is a tall wing with a smooth jumper while Francis is a tough as nails guard. Chiozza is a flashy playmaker.

Reactions: 3 people
Right, but it shouldn't be an either/or situation. If you recruit well enough, you shouldn't be faced with finding a one year stopgap or a true freshman (unless you're Cal).

We had to bring in barton this year b/c cuonzo's recruiting wasn't good enough to fill the void left by golden's departure. Likewise, it hasn't been good enough to fill the void left by maymon and possibly stokes' departure. This is the problem.

Getting people like Barton and Rhett help development of the incoming recruits. I would rather get him than put a fr on the floor from day one.

Stokes Returns with Rhett = 18 Wins 4th in SEC ( Won't ever be able to be 3rd with our usual 3 bad SEC losses)

No Stokes or Rhett = 10 Wins 10th in SEC (Cuanzo will be laughing his way to the bank just like Dooley is doing right now)

I know a lot of people do not want to believe it but this team without Stokes is not a very good team. You have to count 5 losses a year to teams you shouldn't ( ex. this years A&M X2, UTEP, Xavier and Vandy) either way and mix that with a coach is sub par and you have entered the "Danger Zone"

Let's all beg Stokes to come back or we will be looking at a VERY rough 2014-2015 season...

I speak the truth and I know a lot of Vol fans don't want to hear it...

Reactions: 5 people
Florida is bringing in the #6 class in the country to go along with Hill, Frazier, and Finney-Smith. I don't see how we would be above them next year.

6. Florida 2014 commits (National rank)
SF Devin Robinson (No. 20)
SG Brandone Francis (No. 26)
PG Chris Chiozza (No. 38)
Billy Donovan and the Gators keep bringing talent down to the swamp. Robinson is a tall wing with a smooth jumper while Francis is a tough as nails guard. Chiozza is a flashy playmaker.

They always recruit well, but last time they had to replace 3 key seniors, they finished 10-6 in the SEC. The loaded young roster they had then is the junior and senior laden roster that won the SEC the past two years.

Next year will be another year in the cycle.

Assuming Stokes stays and Rhett comes, we'll have Josh, Stokes, and Rhett as senior starters. An experienced PG returning in Thompson. And a 5 star that got some playing time last year returning from injury.

Florida only returns 12 points, 1 block, 1 assist, 0 steals and 4 rebounds from their win over us in the SEC T.

How? A full season of a 2nd year Hubbs...Stokes having another year under his belt...Rhett replacing Maymon more than adequately. I know that losing McRae will hurt - a lot - but I think that the other gains will make up for it.

VN Store

Back