2014 Basketball Recruiting

themoodystwo

VOLS BY FIDDY
Hey vol fans, Im new to watching college basketball and I found myself just as nervouse and excited during these basketball games as watching our beloved football team. Does anyone have any news on how our recruiting class stacks up in this up and coming class. Not really interested in peoples lectures on how I should conduct my posts. I am interested in what you as vol fans think from your experience and knowledge about our recruiting class.I posted this same question a couple of days ago but there was a busy body vol fan who felt that it was his responsibility to give me a big lecture on looking up the info for myself instead of asking people on this site. I thought this web site was intended for post's like these. Some people enjoy answering questions on other peoples posts while others only enjoy reading them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
We are after a transfer named Rhett who could be a great pickup. He nearly averaged a double double and he could make an immediate impact. He is also being recruited by some big name schools.

Austin and Cornish are players that weren't super highly recruited, but some have optimism that they could be gems. Specifically Austin.

Reactions: 1 person
We are after a transfer named Rhett who could be a great pickup. He nearly averaged a double double and he could make an immediate impact. He is also being recruited by some big name schools.

Austin and Cornish are players that weren't super highly recruited, but some have optimism that they could be gems. Specifically Austin.

Just looking at VQ and Austin's offer list, he was pretty highly sought after at some point.

Austin:

Memphis
Illinois
Iowa
K. State
Missouri
Ok. St.
SMU

Cornish had offers from:

Oklahoma
Purdue
Vandy
VCU

I'm not saying they will be great players, but several pretty good coaches thought they were good enough to play in their programs.

Solid Post and Answer to the question.:hi:

Reactions: 2 people
Just looking at VQ and Austin's offer list, he was pretty highly sought after at some point.

Austin:

Memphis
Illinois
Iowa
K. State
Missouri
Ok. St.
SMU

Cornish had offers from:

Oklahoma
Purdue
Vandy
VCU

I'm not saying they will be great players, but several pretty good coaches thought they were good enough to play in their programs.

I said they weren't super highly recruited and I definitely stand by it looking at those offers.

Reactions: 3 people
I said they weren't super highly recruited and I definitely stand by it looking at those offers.

Fair enough, esp with Cornish. I think Austin was considered a pretty good second tier recruit. Not a program changer, but several schools with pretty good recruiting reps and good coaches took a swing. Granted, not the blue blood programs, but the level right underneath. Getting him away from Illinois is impressive (granted I have no idea what went into recruiting him) as Groce has a reputation as a great recruiter.

Hey vol fans, Im new to watching college basketball and I found myself just as nervouse and excited during these basketball games as watching our beloved football team. Does anyone have any news on how our recruiting class stacks up in this up and coming class. Not really interested in peoples lectures on how I should conduct my posts. I am interested in what you as vol fans think from your experience and knowledge about our recruiting class.I posted this same question a couple of days ago but there was a busy body vol fan who felt that it was his responsibility to give me a big lecture on looking up the info for myself instead of asking people on this site. I thought this web site was intended for post's like these. Some people enjoy answering questions on other peoples posts while others only enjoy reading them.

Phil Cofer and Larry Austin seem to be the prizes of the class. Both are ranked right around #100 in America in this class. I think one or two services has these guys as 4* recruits. The others have them as high 3*.

I've heard Cofer described as a freak athlete who dunks everything. Also has been said to have a high motor. He will be a fan favorite in my opinion. Cofer was ranked in the ESPN top 50 at one point but was dropped because they said he needed to work on his game away from the basket IIRC.

Jordan Cornish was described by Rob Lewis as a more skilled Armani Moore. He was the first commit in this class. He has ties to former Vol JJ McClesky if I'm not mistaken.

CJ Turman - I don't know that much about him. He was our last commit and I haven't read or watched much of him. He's a load though. 6-9 250lb.

Phil Cofer and Larry Austin seem to be the prizes of the class. Both are ranked right around #100 in America in this class. I think one or two services has these guys as 4* recruits. The others have them as high 3*.

I've heard Cofer described as a freak athlete who dunks everything. Also has been said to have a high motor. He will be a fan favorite in my opinion. Cofer was ranked in the ESPN top 50 at one point but was dropped because they said he needed to work on his game away from the basket IIRC.

Jordan Cornish was described by Rob Lewis as a more skilled Armani Moore. He was the first commit in this class. He has ties to former Vol JJ McClesky if I'm not mistaken.

CJ Turman - I don't know that much about him. He was our last commit and I haven't read or watched much of him. He's a load though. 6-9 250lb.

This is a good synopsis of what is on it's way, except I think people are slipping on what CJ Thurman may bring to the table. Turman can be described as a bigger Jeronne Maymon with good legs. He seems to have good hands and decent footwork as this video will show. Give Nicodemus some time to condition him and then let's see what we get.

Forward CJ Turman becomes TennesseeÂ’s fourth 2014 commitment | CollegeBasketballTalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE9Nz-aOZ1A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VaDo7eoD4U
and Jordan Cornish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVLliEjRmVI
Larry Austin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCPJ0bd4g98
Phil Cofer (fluffing 'fro)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPOAK-RuCPE

Last edited:
Are any of these kids good outside shooters? We know they are being recruited for their defensive skills. The Vols should be competitive next season vs Florida because they lose all of those seniors, but can they get us competitive with FL and KY over the next few years? Are we recruiting well enough to keep us off the bubble in the future?

Are any of these kids good outside shooters? We know they are being recruited for their defensive skills. The Vols should be competitive next season vs Florida because they lose all of those seniors, but can they get us competitive with FL and KY over the next few years? Are we recruiting well enough to keep us off the bubble in the future?

None of them come in as Chris Lofton, no. Larry Austin and Jordan Cornish both have a 3 point shot, but I would be surprised to see either come in and shoot say 40% from 3. Perimeter shooting has been labeled as a weakness for both players, but it's an area both players have worked to improve on over the last year.

Development and progression will be key for each of these guys as they all have a high potential, but obviously aren't a finished product. If they take a path of Josh Richardson who they're similarly rated as, then we should be just fine. If they don't develop at all, then obviously that is a major issue.

Turman isn't a highly touted recruit, but he fits really well into what Zo wants. He is an athletic big man that focuses on rebounding and defense. Can also finish pretty well around the rim, albeit against high school competition for now. I wouldn't expect him to be an immediate impact guy, but he could definitely be a big contributor by his junior and senior seasons.

Like one poster in another thread said...."solid, hard defense will keep you in games where you are having a bad offensive day, but will allow you to blow out teams when you are on". Hopefully the de-comitt from KY will rethink his choice for the future now that Zo is a stay.

None of them can step on the court and have a major impact, but on the other hand you don't have to worry about them leaving early so if they play together, by the time they are seniors you might have a good team.

Last edited:
None of them can step on the court and have a major impact, but on the other hand you don't have to worry about them leaving early so if they play together, by the time they are seniors you might have a good team.

You mean the ones that are committed, right? Because I think Rhett could make a solid impact.

You mean the ones that are committed, right? Because I think Rhett could make a solid impact.

Yes the ones that are committed, Rhett would have huge impact on this team, plus I was not taking a shot at our talent, that's the way we got to do it, go out and get players that fits coaches system, and have a pretty good team each year and get hot and make a pretty good run in the dance, we are not getting the 5 stars I don't care who the coach is, play hard good coaching and I can live with that.:good!: We might get a 5 star ever now and then, but we are not going to get 2 or 3 ever year just get the right player for the system and then we might have something for that coaches team with 10 5 stars every year, don't even wont to say the name you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Austin will push Darius Thompson for some starting time, IMO. And this is not a knock at all on Thompson.

Austin will push Darius Thompson for some starting time, IMO. And this is not a knock at all on Thompson.

I agree

Thompson shows flashes every now and then (and especially late in the season/tournament) with his passing ability that really impresses me and makes me think "man, this kid could be really good". However, I think Austin is more physically and athletically prepared than Thompson was when he came in. Should be a fun battle and I would probably give the edge now to Thompson.

Turman isn't a highly touted recruit, but he fits really well into what Zo wants. He is an athletic big man that focuses on rebounding and defense. Can also finish pretty well around the rim, albeit against high school competition for now. I wouldn't expect him to be an immediate impact guy, but he could definitely be a big contributor by his junior and senior seasons.
If we can pull in Rhett and retain Jarnell Stokes, then Turman can have some time to develop. High upside player, especially on the defensive end, but that's not to say that he is skill-less on the offensive end.

As for Cofer, any player will have an adjustment period, but I think he will be ready to play right away and help us on both ends. Isn't a huge guy (width wise) but he's a good rebounder and has a solid offensive skill set. I could see him being a double-digit scorer here. When is tbd.

Where is the highly recruited to super highly recruited line at? For future reference of course!!! :)

I don't think they were highly recruited either to be honest. Highly recruited = 1 or 2 offers from perenial college powers like UCONN, Duke, Florida, UK, Michigan State, UCLA, UNC, Kansas, Syracuse, Louisville etc....

Being super highly recruited would likely dictate having lots of offers from schools like that. I mean, I know you were being sarcastic, but there you go anyway lol.

pg next year will have a lot to do with who they are dumping it on the block to. It's possible we want it to the big man on every play asap. It's also possible we won't want the ball to go inside at all if possible. Just have them pick for jrich, hubbs and the pg and get out of the way.

I don't think they were highly recruited either to be honest. Highly recruited = 1 or 2 offers from perenial college powers like UCONN, Duke, Florida, UK, Michigan State, UCLA, UNC, Kansas, Syracuse, Louisville etc....

Being super highly recruited would likely dictate having lots of offers from schools like that. I mean, I know you were being sarcastic, but there you go anyway lol.

Solid definition! I can get on board with that.

VN Store

Back