Cuonzo is Perfectly Fine for Vols

daniel3417

Keep your chin up, SMILE!
I very rarely start threads, and it's even rarer that I post in the basketball forums, but there's a first time for everything.

I'm a proud "told ya so"er for Cuonzo. Backed the guy the entire season (check my twitter, as that's the proof for everything). When the Vols were 10-4, and people were calling for Cuonzo's job, I knew there was very little our coach could do right in the final season of Bruce's show-cause.

Forget, if you can, the insanity of Bruce Pearl. It was fun. It was crazy. We were awesome. It was destined to be short-lived. But just try to set it aside for a moment.

As a realistic Vol fan (I know that's tough for some), how can you fire/want someone gone who has won 20 games in each of his three years at Tennessee? (Yeah his first year it was just 19 but whatevski.)

In the words of Milton Friedman, "it's important to have a sense of proportion." We're not freaking Duke, Kentucky, or UCLA. You can sit there and say that we should be and then fire any coach who doesn't always reach the Elite 8, but all you're going to do is dig a deeper hole.

A successful Tennessee basketball program is 20ish plus wins per year, compete hard in the SEC tournament, and make an NCAA run every couple years. Mix in some special teams every five to seven years. If you demand Sweet 16 finishes every year, you're going to have to de-emphasize football because the kind of recruits that will get you there consistently want to go to basketball-first schools.

Being the exceptions like Ohio State, Michigan, or Florida (good in both) takes years of development.

Take a look at the first three seasons of Billy Donovan:
13-17
14-15
22-9 Sweet 16

Tom Izzo:
16-16
17-12
22-8 Sweet 16

Cuonzo Martin:
19-15
20-13
24-13 Sweet 16

I'm not quite ready to call Cuonzo the next Billy or Izzo, but would you not agree that Florida and Michigan State were right in giving their coaches more than 2 years? And Cuonzo's been better!

Chill out, dumbasses.

Reactions: 50 people
Nice pat on the back, but good post. CCM will be fine. People are going to complain no matter what happens.

It's the ones that want failure to prove their points to watch beware of in this day and age.

Look at it this way, 2 wins vs Texas A&M, 1 win vs UTEP and the strong finish like we had.

Half of the board threads are gone and the petition never exists, plus we finish 2nd in the SEC.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
should've had the balls to post this after the Vandy loss or one of the Aggies' losses. If you don't have them then, I doubt we'll see them in 2 years when we have been to one ncaa tourney in 5 years.

Reactions: 6 people
I very rarely start threads, and it's even rarer that I post in the basketball forums, but there's a first time for everything.

I'm a proud "told ya so"er for Cuonzo. Backed the guy the entire season (check my twitter, as that's the proof for everything). When the Vols were 10-4, and people were calling for Cuonzo's job, I knew there was very little our coach could do right in the final season of Bruce's show-cause.

Forget, if you can, the insanity of Bruce Pearl. It was fun. It was crazy. We were awesome. It was destined to be short-lived. But just try to set it aside for a moment.

As a realistic Vol fan (I know that's tough for some), how can you fire/want someone gone who has won 20 games in each of his three years at Tennessee? (Yeah his first year it was just 19 but whatevski.)

In the words of Milton Friedman, "it's important to have a sense of proportion." We're not freaking Duke, Kentucky, or UCLA. You can sit there and say that we should be and then fire any coach who doesn't always reach the Elite 8, but all you're going to do is dig a deeper hole.

A successful Tennessee basketball program is 20ish plus wins per year, compete hard in the SEC tournament, and make an NCAA run every couple years. Mix in some special teams every five to seven years. If you demand Sweet 16 finishes every year, you're going to have to de-emphasize football because the kind of recruits that will get you there consistently want to go to basketball-first schools.

Being the exceptions like Ohio State, Michigan, or Florida (good in both) takes years of development.

13-17
14-15
22-9 Sweet 16

Tom Izzo:
16-16
17-12
22-8 Sweet 16

Cuonzo Martin:
19-15
20-13
24-13 Sweet 16

I'm not quite ready to call Cuonzo the next Billy or Izzo, but would you not agree that Florida and Michigan State were right in giving their coaches more than 2 years? And Cuonzo's been better!

Chill out, dumbasses.

You were making sense up until the Martin comparison to Donovan. Let me say I would take Martin and be happy if he had 40% of Billy's ability.

Reactions: 1 person

13-17
14-15
22-9 Sweet 16

Tom Izzo:
16-16
17-12
22-8 Sweet 16

Cuonzo Martin:
19-15
20-13
24-13 Sweet 16

Chill out, dumbasses.

Ironically, if the fans with overly high expectations ran the program, we would consistently suck because every coach who didn't make the final 4 their 1st year would promptly be canned, and we would have 0 continuity and would fail more years than not.

Ironically, if the fans with overly high expectations ran the program, we would consistently suck because every coach who didn't make the final 4 their 1st year would promptly be canned, and we would have 0 continuity and would fail more years than not.

right. That's exactly what the fans were complaining about when we were struggling after 2.5 years of ball, underachieving last year and for much of this year. Exactly the same.

13-17
14-15
22-9 Sweet 16

Tom Izzo:
16-16
17-12
22-8 Sweet 16

Cuonzo Martin:
19-15
20-13
24-13 Sweet 16

Chill out, dumbasses.

Thanks sir Guru, we now have the scoop...........we will be happy with 20ish wins and to de-emphasize football! Are you daft? "A sense of proportion" is another excuse for second tier. That's not how I see Tennessee. And a big Chill out Dumba** right back atcha.:salute:

Reactions: 2 people
should've had the balls to post this after the Vandy loss or one of the Aggies' losses. If you don't have them then, I doubt we'll see them in 2 years when we have been to one ncaa tourney in 5 years.

You gonna have them if you're wrong?

You gonna have them if you're wrong?

Sure. I'm just guessing by the current roster. If we get to the ncaa, more power to him. I can at least promise you I won't be back here like 90% of them have acting like I was there backing him the whole time. That bus is overfilled with people hanging off the back.

Why do you want us to the miss the NCAA tournament the next 2 years? Are you retarded or what...

I'm glad we kept Cuonzo but the one area he needs to shore up is recruiting. I think Jarnell was coming anyways because Bruce recruited him hard before he got fired and he got Hubbs to come, but everybody else has been a 3 star. If he's gonna be a consistent winner in the SEC he's gonna have to land a few more of the 4 and 5 star guys.

Why do you want us to the miss the NCAA tournament the next 2 years? Are you retarded or what...

We have no post players and still no shooters or rim protector. I'm talking about basketball. Again, you prove incapable. Now throw some troll bull**** and a couple of "you mad bro's" in with your retard comment and pretty much sum up what you bring.
Your dumbass must think Reese, chievous and Pops are going to be badass. Good for you. And you call others retarded.

He's perfectly fine for us if you like mediocrity. This "run" to the sweet 16 is utterly meaningless in the grand scheme.

Stan Heath made a "run" to the elite 8 once. Does that mean he's better than cuonzo?

Reactions: 2 people

We have no post players and still no shooters or rim protector. I'm talking about basketball. Again, you prove incapable. Now throw some troll bull**** and a couple of "you mad bro's" in with your retard comment and pretty much sum up what you bring.
Your dumbass must think Reese, chievous and Pops are going to be badass. Good for you. And you call others retarded.

Thanks for answering my question about why you don't want us to make the NCAA. You are really Sh***y Vol fan.

Reactions: 3 people
I think all vol fans want us to make tourneys, compete for SEC titles, be seeded highly in the tourney, etc. But based on results these past 3 years, and his terrible recruiting, some of us don't see any real reason for optimism. Beating umass and mercer? Please.

Thanks for answering my question about why you don't want us to make the NCAA. You are really Sh***y Vol fan.

tumblr_mt2qair1Mh1rnr47go1_500.gif

VN Store

Back