Best seasons ever

k-town_king

By the numbers this season we overachieved just as much or more than every season except the Elite 8 year according to preseason rankings, wins and post season results.

05-06
PS NR
21 wins regular season 1st round SEC loss
#2 seed
1st round 2 pt comeback win on last second shot vs #15 seed
2nd rd loss to #7 seed by 7
80.4 ppg / 73.5 opp ppg

06-07
PS 25
22 regular season wins 1st round SEC loss
#5 seed
1st rnd 35 pt win vs #12 seed
2nd round 3 pt win vs #4 seed
Sweet 16 1 pt loss vs #1 seed gave up 20 point lead
80.9 ppg / 75.1 opp ppg

07-08
PS 7
#2 seed
28 regular season wins 2 rnd SEC loss
1st rnd win vs #15 by 15 pts
2nd rnd 5 point win vs #7 seed
Sweet 16 19 pt loss vs #3 seed
81.8 ppg / 70.0 opp ppg

08-09
PS 14
19 regular season wins SEC champ game loss to MSU
9 seed
1st round loss to #8 seed by 2 pts
78.4 ppg / 72.5 opp ppg

09-10
PS 10
23 regular season wins 3 rd SEC loss
6 seed
1st rnd 3 pt win over #11 seed
2 rnd 15 pt win over #14
Sweet 16 3 pt win vs #2 seed
Elite Eight 1 pt loss vs #5 seed
73.5 ppg / 65.2 opp ppg

10-11
PS 23
18 regular season wins 2 rnd SEC loss
#9 seed
1st rnd 30 pt loss vs #8 seed
69.9 ppg / 67.5 opp ppg

13-14
PS NR
20 regular season wins 2 rnd SEC loss
#11 seed
1st rnd 13 pt win vs #11 seed
2nd rnd 29 pt win vs #6 seed
3rd rnd 20 pt win vs #14 seed
Sweet 16 2 pt loss to 2 seed
72.2 ppg / 61.7 opp ppg

This year was one of our best years ever. Hats off to the team and the coach. :hi:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
One of the determinates as to how far we go in the tourney is the draw that we get. Getting Mercer, Iowa & U Mass helps rather than getting other draws that we didn't match up well against.

and no matter how we look at it, we still underachieved based on this team's talent and end of year results.

You can have a great year/do something great and it still not be your best. This team had at least 4 more wins in them between UTEP, A&M twice, and mizzou.

Reactions: 1 person
and no matter how we look at it, we still underachieved based on this team's talent and end of year results.

You can have a great year/do something great and it still not be your best. This team had at least 4 more wins in them between UTEP, A&M twice, and mizzou.

Unbelievable! Some people will except anything.

One of the determinates as to how far we go in the tourney is the draw that we get. Getting Mercer, Iowa & U Mass helps rather than getting other draws that we didn't match up well against.

I agree, but you play who you draw.

Just like when BP drew SD State and U of Ohio to get there the elite 8 year?

Who gives a damn? You make the tourney, and advance as far as you can. They arguably could've had a tougher draw had they won those games.

The 1976-1977 team was a good one. They went 22-5 losing 93-88 to Syracuse in the first round of the NCAAs. Ernie and Bernie's last season

The 1976-1977 team was a good one. They went 22-5 losing 93-88 to Syracuse in the first round of the NCAAs. Ernie and Bernie's last season

Preseason Number 1 ranking. You don't think that team underachieved do you?

Not a second did anybody mention firing CRM.

Reactions: 2 people
By the numbers this season we overachieved just as much or more than every season except the Elite 8 year according to preseason rankings, wins and post season results.

05-06
PS NR
21 wins regular season 1st round SEC loss
#2 seed
1st round 2 pt comeback win on last second shot vs #15 seed
2nd rd loss to #7 seed by 7
80.4 ppg / 73.5 opp ppg

06-07
PS 25
22 regular season wins 1st round SEC loss
#5 seed
1st rnd 35 pt win vs #12 seed
2nd round 3 pt win vs #4 seed
Sweet 16 1 pt loss vs #1 seed gave up 20 point lead
80.9 ppg / 75.1 opp ppg

07-08
PS 7
#2 seed
28 regular season wins 2 rnd SEC loss
1st rnd win vs #15 by 15 pts
2nd rnd 5 point win vs #7 seed
Sweet 16 19 pt loss vs #3 seed
81.8 ppg / 70.0 opp ppg

08-09
PS 14
19 regular season wins SEC champ game loss to MSU
9 seed
1st round loss to #8 seed by 2 pts
78.4 ppg / 72.5 opp ppg

09-10
PS 10
23 regular season wins 3 rd SEC loss
6 seed
1st rnd 3 pt win over #11 seed
2 rnd 15 pt win over #14
Sweet 16 3 pt win vs #2 seed
Elite Eight 1 pt loss vs #5 seed
73.5 ppg / 65.2 opp ppg

10-11
PS 23
18 regular season wins 2 rnd SEC loss
#9 seed
1st rnd 30 pt loss vs #8 seed
69.9 ppg / 67.5 opp ppg

13-14
PS NR
20 regular season wins 2 rnd SEC loss
#11 seed
1st rnd 13 pt win vs #11 seed
2nd rnd 29 pt win vs #6 seed
3rd rnd 20 pt win vs #14 seed
Sweet 16 2 pt loss to 2 seed
72.2 ppg / 61.7 opp ppg

This year was one of our best years ever. Hats off to the team and the coach. :hi:

Of the seasons listed, this season ranks ahead of only 2 of them IMO. 08-09 and 10-11.

No offense to the OP or those who truly believe we overachieved this season.

If you just look at the tournament as compared to preseason polls, then yeah I guess you could argue this team overachieved. If you look at the regular season, they didn't. And to be honest about it, if we had made the tournament in year two maybe we would've been ranked to start the year. Because this team had top 30 talent no doubt.

That said, you've got to put an emphasis on making the tourney and the results once you get there. But you can't discount a 30 game regular season where you underachieved greatly and barely sneak into a play in game.

Of the seasons listed, this season ranks ahead of only 2 of them IMO. 08-09 and 10-11.

No offense to the OP or those who truly believe we overachieved this season.

If you just look at the tournament as compared to preseason polls, then yeah I guess you could argue this team overachieved. If you look at the regular season, they didn't. And to be honest about it, if we had made the tournament in year two maybe we would've been ranked to start the year. Because this team had top 30 talent no doubt.

That said, you've got to put an emphasis on making the tourney and the results once you get there. But you can't discount a 30 game regular season where you underachieved greatly and barely sneak into a play in game.

Its arguably better than almost every year.

05-06
Both unranked. This year 20 wins that year 21. This year Sweet 16. 06 lost in second round to lower seed after barley beating a 15.

06-07
That year ranked top 25 22 wins regular season. This year 20. NCAA that year 1 point loss Sweet 16 where we gave up 20 point lead. This year lost close game we fought back in and should have won.

07-08
Top 10 pre season. A lot of wins 28 regular season but got blown out by a lower seed by 19 in the Sweet 16 and it was really worse. So more regular season wins but worse post season. Also top 10 pre season vs unranked.

08-09
No question this year was better

09-10
Top ten preseason. Underachieved regular season with 23 wins. Recovered to meet expectations and make Elite Eight. Better year but disappointing regular season.

10-11
No question this year was better.

So really one year was better. But according to the Anti Martin criteria it wasn't impressive. They lost too many regular season games especially for a top 10 team who no question had top 10 talent. He made the Elite Eight but since we expected it and we were top 10 it was the minimum we should have expected.

Its arguably better than almost every year.

05-06
Both unranked. This year 20 wins that year 21. This year Sweet 16. 06 lost in second round to lower seed after barley beating a 15.

06-07
That year ranked top 25 22 wins regular season. This year 20. NCAA that year 1 point loss Sweet 16 where we gave up 20 point lead. This year lost close game we fought back in and should have won.

07-08
Top 10 pre season. A lot of wins 28 regular season but got blown out by a lower seed by 19 in the Sweet 16 and it was really worse. So more regular season wins but worse post season. Also top 10 pre season vs unranked.

08-09
No question this year was better

09-10
Top ten preseason. Underachieved regular season with 23 wins. Recovered to meet expectations and make Elite Eight. Better year but disappointing regular season.

10-11
No question this year was better.

So really one year was better. But according to the Anti Martin criteria it wasn't impressive. They lost too many regular season games especially for a top 10 team who no question had top 10 talent. He made the Elite Eight but since we expected it and we were top 10 it was the minimum we should have expected.

I'm not arguing stats with you. I'm arguing against your logic or lack thereof.

I'm not arguing stats with you. I'm arguing against your logic or lack thereof.

My logic is backed up by the stats which can't be argued against. If you go by actual facts like ranking and tourney success this season is as good or better than any of the previous tourney runs. People want to make all the conditions about what makes a good year but don't want to apply the same to past years. We had a bunch of years ranked higher than this with around the same wins and worse tourney showings.

My logic is backed up by the stats which can't be argued against. If you go by actual facts like ranking and tourney success this season is as good or better than any of the previous tourney runs. People want to make all the conditions about what makes a good year but don't want to apply the same to past years. We had a bunch of years ranked higher than this with around the same wins and worse tourney showings.

I can prove with stats anything I want. You can't sit there with a straight face and say that this year is better than Pearl's first year I'm sorry. And it wasn't better than the other years I listed.

Your methodology is skewed to produce the outcome you've chosen.

By your method, a team that is preseason ranked number 1 who goes undefeated and makes it to the tournament final and loses would be considered to have had a worse season than a team with top 30 talent who was unranked to start the season, sneaks into a play in game and makes it to the round of 32.

It has nothing to do with whether I like Martin or Bruce or any coach. Your method is flawed IMO.

2008 is the best season (by far) followed by 2010.

tennessee won a championship in 2008. that trumps an extra round in the tournament.

VN Store

Back