6 years

#27VFL

Cuonzo just finished his sixth year as a head coach and took us to the sweet 16. Most of us feel that if not for bad officiating we would be in the elite 8!
Martin spent 1 season as an assistant I think before taking a coaching job at a mid major where he had a little success.
Martin is growing and improving with every season and every recruiting class. He is learning. He has integrity. He has no personality which we all don't like but that's not required just preferred.
His coaching style is the exact opposite of Pearl. He coaches to feed the post, win rebounds, grind it out all game with game plan vs riding emotional highs.
His plan works extremely well in later part of season and post season as most teams get emotional and start making bad decisions we keep grinding. We may start slow as a team but seem to finish strong. I believe next season we will be better than this year if stokes stays
Go Vols!

Reactions: 26 people
Cuonzo just finished his sixth year as a head coach and took us to the sweet 16. Most of us feel that if not for bad officiating we would be in the elite 8!
Martin spent 1 season as an assistant I think before taking a coaching job at a mid major where he had a little success.
Martin is growing and improving with every season and every recruiting class. He is learning. He has integrity. He has no personality which we all don't like but that's not required just preferred.
His coaching style is the exact opposite of Pearl. He coaches to feed the post, win rebounds, grind it out all game with game plan vs riding emotional highs.
His plan works extremely well in later part of season and post season as most teams get emotional and start making bad decisions we keep grinding. We may start slow as a team but seem to finish strong. I believe next season we will be better than this year if stokes stays
Go Vols!

Very nice post! Agree completely, but the negavols will be out in full force for this thread.:good!:

Reactions: 2 people
Go Vols!

Coach Martin was an assistant coach for 8 years not 1 year! But I agree, We need to back him as long as he is here and hope he grows as a coach, as a talent evaluater and as a recruiter.

Martin is growing and improving with every season and every recruiting class. He is learning. He has integrity.

That "integrity" involves meeting with other schools about their opening while he is still our coach? Interesting. Seems like just about anyone can claim they have "integrity", then.

His plan works extremely well in later part of season and post season as most teams get emotional and start making bad decisions we keep grinding. We may start slow as a team but seem to finish strong.!

How did we finish last year? And the year before that? What was our postseason like then?

That "integrity" involves meeting with other schools about their opening while he is still our coach? Interesting. Seems like just about anyone can claim they have "integrity", then.

How did we finish last year? And the year before that? What was our postseason like then?

You don't get to act hurt over Martin talking to another school. People saying this are looking for ammo to use against him because they already didn't like. Don't act like you really care if he entertains other offers. Every coach does it, and you know this. Comments like these are why we can't have nice things.

Reactions: 12 people
Quite refreshing post. Thanks OP! After our late season run I just don't understand the hate Cuonzo is getting. I will be the first to admit that after the A&M game I lost all confidence in him bit I feel like after our late season run the man deserves some respect!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Quite refreshing post. Thanks OP! After our late season run I just don't understand the hate Cuonzo is getting. I will be the first to admit that after the A&M game I lost all confidence in him bit I feel like after our late season run the man deserves some respect!

You're looking for "hate"...if our coach does what he's supposed to...and builds something for us to cheer...we'll cheer...simple concept is simple.

Reactions: 4 people
You don't get to act hurt over Martin talking to another school. People saying this are looking for ammo to use against him because they already didn't like. Don't act like you really care if he entertains other offers. Every coach does it, and you know this. Comments like these are why we can't have nice things.

No one is acting hurt. History shows that once a guy starts meeting with other schools for other jobs, eventually, he's probably going to leave. If he's pulling this now, after one tournament appearance, what can we expect if he ever has any sustained success here?

"Every coach" does not do it. It's actually pretty rare for a coach at a major school to actually get on a plane and go meet with another school about their opening. The coaches who do it either want to leave or are heavily jockeying for more money. Usually both. If they want to play that game, that's fine. But then, don't come to me praising their "integrity."

I really don't understand why everyone is so upset. If you think about it Tennessee basketball until Pearl was already mediocre at best. I'm 36 years old and in my opinion I can only count maybe 4 years where we made noise in the NCAA. Stop acting like we've been doing something.

Reactions: 9 people
No one is acting hurt. History shows that once a guy starts meeting with other schools for other jobs, eventually, he's probably going to leave. If he's pulling this now, after one tournament appearance, what can we expect if he ever has any sustained success here?

"Every coach" does not do it. It's actually pretty rare for a coach at a major school to actually get on a plane and go meet with another school about their opening. The coaches who do it either want to leave or are heavily jockeying for more money. Usually both. If they want to play that game, that's fine. But then, don't come to me praising their "integrity."

Reactions like this go to show that Martin should've taken the job if he was offered. He's done nothing to warrant someone questioning his character.

You're looking for "hate"...if our coach does what he's supposed to...and builds something for us to cheer...we'll cheer...simple concept is simple.

My point exactly! So why all the fuss? I agree the season was not what some of us thought it should be but it sure was a fun ride the past 3 weeks! Post-season play means a lot in my book

If anyone's integrity is in question, it's that of our fanbase who were mocked repeatedly by the media this season.

How many schools have you seen get petitions up to remove their coach and bring back the coach that had the NCAA climbing up our a**? How many schools have a 22,000 seat arena and 6000-8000 show up for the games? How many schools have message boards and the so called fans "with integrity" get on them and completely bash their coach? I don't blame him in the least for looking elsewhere and wouldn't blame him if he keeps looking and eventually takes another job.
Some of you on here need to grow up!

If anyone's integrity is in question, it's that of our fanbase who were mocked repeatedly by the media this season.

Yeah, the fanbase that packs an arena with top 10 attendance three years running for an unranked team.

Mocked by what media? The same media that has been talking up the Auburn Pearl hire? The same media that will be happy to trumpet that pairing for years to come?

As I've said before, I never called for Martin to be fired and I never signed a petition of any kind. But, it's simple math and history here. If he is flying out to meet with officials about another opening after 1 NCAA tournament appearance here, then chances are he wants to leave and will leave sooner or later.

The good news? He's improved every year he has been here.

The bad news? It's been minimal improvement.

Anyone that can predict what the rest of Coach Martin's tenure beholds is just guessing.

How many schools have you seen get petitions up to remove their coach and bring back the coach that had the NCAA climbing up our a**? How many schools have a 22,000 seat arena and 6000-8000 show up for the games? How many schools have message boards and the so called fans "with integrity" get on them and completely bash their coach? I don't blame him in the least for looking elsewhere and wouldn't blame him if he keeps looking and eventually takes another job.
Some of you on here need to grow up!

We averaged almost 16k per game this season.

And every school that has a message board and coaches that lose games.

Reactions: 1 person
Go Vols!

Finish strong? One good post-season in six is not a style suited for the post-season. Pearl had a significantly better record than does Martin for the end of the season. I agree that he has integrity, but he's just an OK coach.

CBP used interest form Memphis State as leverage to negotiate a raise at UT.

Les Miles used interest from Michigan to negotiate a raise at LSU.

Saban used interest from Texas to negotiate a raise at Alabuba.

It's no different than in the private sector. Other offers determine a coach's market value and help a coach to negotiate his pay. I'm not completely sold on CCM and I fail to see how determining his market value reflects a lack of integrity. In light of this season's unrest by the UT faithful, for all CCM knew UT was not interested in retaining his services. CCM would be a total idiot if he didn't entertain other offers until he secured a longer term commitment from his current employer.

It's no different than in the private sector. Other offers determine a coach's market value and help a coach to negotiate his pay. I'm not completely sold on CCM and I fail to see how determining his market value reflects a lack of integrity. In light of this season's unrest by the UT faithful, for all CCM knew UT was not interested in retaining his services. CCM would be a total idiot if he didn't entertain other offers until he secured a longer term commitment from his current employer.

There's a difference in leveraging an offer and flying to an in person job interview.

Go Vols!

My cousin coaches HS Football in Jackson. Your post is excellent.

The MTV generation loves sleazy people like Pearl. Hard work means nothing to them and doing things the right way are low on the totem pole.

Next year:
Josh Richardson will be as good if not better than Jordy
Stokes 2014-15, probably better than Stokes 2013-14
Thompson -- A guard with real point guard skill

Those 3 and these 2 facts:

1. Stokes stays
2. Martin is the coach.

If Martin leaves next year could be a total loss.

Not a single one of those guys were reported (by any credible source) to have gotten on a plane and flown over to meet with officials from those schools about their openings. Thank you for making my point for me.

VN Store

Back