Gregg Marshall and his high salary

secking

The guy, this guy, is a bigger proven winner than even some guy now coaching at a cow college. I'm just afraid he was just priced out of our range tho. He is signed through 2020.

Can we top 1.75/mil and 500,000 for assts? Buyout would be only 500,000 and the 1.3 we get from Marquette would take care of that.

Would we top 1.75 mil for a bball coach? Who else would be a homerun that would excite everyone?

Wichita State raises coach Gregg Marshall’s salary to $1.6 million | Wichita Eagle

Reactions: 1 person
The guy, this guy, is a bigger proven winner than even some guy now coaching at a cow college. I'm just afraid he was just priced out of our range tho. He is signed through 2020.

Can we top 1.75/mil and 500,000 for assts? Buyout would be only 500,000 and the 1.3 we get from Marquette would take care of that.

Would we top 1.75 mil for a bball coach? Who else would be a homerun that would excite everyone?

Wichita State raises coach Gregg Marshall’s salary to $1.6 million | Wichita Eagle

Easily...surprised its that low :blink:

I don't believe anyone is out of UT's budget. Most of the good ones are well outside the range we're willing to pay, though, sadly.

1.6 is an insult to this guy's talents.
He's worth that as a talent evaluater and developer.
Add another 500k min for his abilities as a teacher and floor coach.
If Martin leaves and we don't offer this guy a 2m+ contract someone needs to get fired.

Reactions: 3 people
Can we pay it? Yes. Will we have enough foresight to invest in a proven, very good coach? Probably not. We have the foresight of accountants.

Cronin is a good coach. There's absolutely no way he leaves UC for UT

not what a good friend of his said on the radio today.....not that that means a whole lot but the friend gave multiple reasons why Cronin would def listen and eve quite possibly accept an offer if it came to that.

Last edited:
Getting Marshall would be an absolute coup--we should pull out the stops for him, but doesn't seem very likely. Certainly, we'd have to offer him good money.

RE Martin, if he leaves for Marquette, I would wish him well but bet that he'd be sacked within four years.

Getting Marshall would be an absolute coup--we should pull out the stops for him, but doesn't seem very likely. Certainly, we'd have to offer him good money.

RE Martin, if he leaves for Marquette, I would wish him well but bet that he'd be sacked within four years.

Yep would be worth every penny

Cronin is a good coach. There's absolutely no way he leaves UC for UT

Butch left UC for UT. That has worked out. His recruiting classes are in the top 5 in the nation. Cronin would leave UC for UT. Its a better job plus the SEC network is about to start up.

Smart and Wojo are plans B and C. I would love to have either one but would Tn fans get behind Wojo?

Butch left UC for UT. That has worked out. His recruiting classes are in the top 5 in the nation. Cronin would leave UC for UT. Its a better job plus the SEC network is about to start up.

I'm not exactly sure what Butch Jones and top 5 classes at UT have to do with Mick Cronin and the basketball programs.

Last edited:

I think they will pay the cash. If UT wants to be a top notch athletic department then they will have to pay people.

Reactions: 2 people
I like Marshall and would like to have him as our coach, but I think some of you guys put him way up on a pedestal. He routinely beats inferior opponents( that is a plus Martin couldn't do) and has a handful of nice wins in his career. I am anxious to see how he would do in a better conference.

He has a lot of pretty sweet incentives. Over and over, Marshall has demonstrated that he is a family man. He turned down NC State, who would have put him over the two mill mark with incentives because of family situations. He also turned down A&M and two BE schools offering more than his current contract. He wanted to coach at Tennessee and just wanting to come means more than believing he took the job because of more money. Knoxville is a great place to live. I think we can have him if we want him. I think it will take around 2 mil to get him though.

I like Marshall and would like to have him as our coach, but I think some of you guys put him way up on a pedestal. He routinely beats inferior opponents( that is a plus Martin couldn't do) and has a handful of nice wins in his career. I am anxious to see how he would do in a better conference.

FTR, Turgeon had a top 10 team that completely derailed and finished with the worst choke job imaginable. When Marshall took over, they didn't have much. He is a proven winner.

FTR, Turgeon had a top 10 team that completely derailed and finished with the worst choke job imaginable. When Marshall took over, they didn't have much. He is a proven winner.

No doubt he is a proven winner. I just want to see him win at a bigger program and I would love to see that happen at UT.

He grew up in Cincy, graduated from there, and his salary is already more than UT would offer. No way

junky old arena - 4k fans on a given night - lower budget - the "friend" said cronin would def be interested in UT was at 1.9 - 2.0 mill range.

not that Tenn will be in that range but if they are he could be a nice candidate.....

VN Store

Back