Cuonzo Martin is a badass

volholio

coach who coached well the last three years. Those wanting him to leave are crazy.

Revolutions usually fail. UT Football is a good example of that.

Reactions: 24 people
You are mental if you call what he's done the past three years "well".

Well, let's see:

Year 1: Took a team with very little talent that was predicted to finish next to last in the SEC and finished 2nd.

Year 2: Admittedly, an average season. His worst here.

Year 3: Sweet 16 birth. One block/charge call away from Elite 8 appearance.

Seems like swell job to me.

Reactions: 34 people
Well, let's see:

Year 1: Took a team with very little talent that was predicted to finish next to last in the SEC and finished 2nd.

1.) Those SEC predictions are jokes. And...that 2nd place finish did wonders for us in the SEC tournament and the NCAA tournament, right?

2.) A couple of good wins and the same results.

3.) A sweet 16 was expected. It took another late season run to even make it to the dance. We were far too talented to end up as one of the last teams in.

Reactions: 12 people
I still don't think he coached well the last 3 weeks. The good players overcame the slaw coaching staff! :popcorn:

Nah he deserves some credit. I think he coached really well this past month. But he's paid to coach 12 months not 1 month a year.

Reactions: 3 people
1.) Those SEC predictions are jokes. And...that 2nd place finish did wonders for us in the SEC tournament and the NCAA tournament, right?

2.) A couple of good wins and the same results.

3.) A sweet 16 was expected. It took another late season run to even make it to the dance. We were far too talented to end up as one of the last teams in.

Just gonna rationalize away all the good points, eh? With that kind of attitude, no one could ever show positive things about Zo. I'll move along. :hi:

Reactions: 4 people
Just gonna rationalize away all the good points, eh? With that kind of attitude, no one could ever show positive things about Zo. I'll move along. :hi:

No. I think he's a good man and will be a good coach one day. His job is to win ballgames and that's what he's judged on. When they start hanging banners for nice guys, I'm all for Martin. The truth is, the SEC has been extremely weak since Martin has came and he managed two NIT bids and an expected sweet 16 finish. I'm just saying he has hardly met expectations.

Reactions: 4 people
No. I think he's a good man and will be a good coach one day. His job is to win ballgames and that's what he's judged on. When they start hanging banners for nice guys, I'm all for Martin. The truth is, the SEC has been extremely weak since Martin has came and he managed two NIT bids and an expected sweet 16 finish. I'm just saying he has hardly met expectations.

How has he not met expectations? His first team was very talentless (why they were picked by the coaches to finish next to last in the conference--you can try to rationalize all you want or say those polls are worthless, etc. etc. Fact is that goes a long way to show the team lacked talent and werent' a tourney team).I don't think that team makes the tournament even with Pearl. The second team, I admit, probably should've made the tournament. His latest team, made the Sweet 16.

So you said he hasn't met expectations. Whose expectations. Maybe he hasn't met a fan's unrealistic expectation?

Reactions: 2 people
Well, let's see:

so 6 appearances in the NCAAT in six years with 3 Sweet Sixteen appearances and one Elite 8 is what exactly????

:loco:

sorry could not resist and yes that guy got fired, and isn't coming back to UT.

I think that the many naysayers have valid points. I wish they would, however, temper their criticism by the enormous potential CCM has– this having been only his 6th year as a HC.

I would love for him to stay and be our coach. If that potential never materializes, then we will have probably had 2 or 3 more years of solid defense, good leadership, and 1 or 2 trips to the NCAA.

I like Zo and think he is a heck of a man but if he had coached the last 2 1/2 years like he did the last 3 weeks he would have a lot more support. Plus Tn got a really good draw in the tourney and made his coaching look better than it is. Those 2 games Tn did what we expected them to do and that was win.

I think that the many naysayers have valid points. I wish they would, however, temper their criticism by the enormous potential CCM has– this having been only his 6th year as a HC.

I would love for him to stay and be our coach. If that potential never materializes, then we will have probably had 2 or 3 more years of solid defense, good leadership, and 1 or 2 trips to the NCAA.

At least somebody here sees the forest through the trees.

I say he's been building a solid foundation. Rome was not built overnight but VOL fans expect that and it never happens. Just hire another one and once again hope for overnight success.

Picked to finish last his first season yet finished third. Lost Maymon his second and reached 20 wins. His third makes a run and reaches the sixteen. Now schools want him because they see the progression and growth of his teams. Sounds to me like the only ones mental are you and that 37,000 taking credit for victory.

Reactions: 7 people

Hmmm, well in that case, I'd like to be considered to replace Cuonzo. I'll charge UT only 20% of Cuonzo's bill - $300k. In return, UT will get a lot of potential.

VN Store

Back