Poll: Do you want Martin to stay or go?

Do you want Coach Martin to stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd rather he go but wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed. So, no opinion

Reactions: 2 people
I would have been happy to keep him before he met with Marquette. If he did, that means he'll probably jump ship eventually, sooner or later. Don't really need a coach of his ability holding the basketball program hostage or commanding a huge raise in order to keep him. I say make a clean break now.

Reactions: 3 people
I was impressed by his late season surge, and I see growth from him as a coach; but, I have been largely unimpressed over the majority of this season when we were supposed to have the best, and most "complete" team of his tenure here and severely (IMO) underachieved relative to our overall talent level. Couple that with two NIT losses, and I'm pretty much on the fence right now.

So, no opinion. I'm glad I'm not Dave Hart.

Reactions: 1 person
I want him to go where he will be appreciated as a head coach...he turns the program into a winner...runs a clean program and we start a petition to fire him for a cheating coach that received a three year ban...please go and get away from this rabid fan base!

Reactions: 16 people
Go, if he wants to. I want a coach that wants to be here no matter what. I want a coach that has a strong desire and ability to win the games we should and win some that we shouldn't, not the other way around.

Reactions: 4 people
Stay...seems respected by his players. They could have easily turned on him. Who cares what he deserves (petition, etc.)...he understands that fans are idiots

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
I wanted him to stay but after all that happen with the petition I think he deserves better. He was a good guy who stabilized the ship. He came into a difficult situation from the start. Unfortunately, high character and morals doesnt count in sports any more only wins. I picked go.

I would have been happy to keep him before he met with Marquette. If he did, that means he'll probably jump ship eventually, sooner or later. Don't really need a coach of his ability holding the basketball program hostage or commanding a huge raise in order to keep him. I say make a clean break now.
Didn't Pearl do the same thing with the Memphis job.Yes i know this isn't the forum for it but the same thing.

After what happened with the big supporters withdrawing their planes from his use, he would be working from a deep hole here. There is a better place for him

I want him to go where he will be appreciated as a head coach...he turns the program into a winner...runs a clean program and we start a petition to fire him for a cheating coach that received a three year ban...please go and get away from this rabid fan base!

A winner? Seriosuly Clark? We went 9-7 in the SEC with the best team Martin has every coached. His recruiting is a liability, and if Stokes leaves you will begin to see just how big a liability it really is. From a personal stand point there's no one better then Zo. Hell, his life lessons and love for people are absolutely worth giving him a chance to be a head coach. He's a great human being, but being a great person doesn't make you a fantastic X and O coach. BTO stated the first two years Martin was here, that Martin was the right man for the job if he just finds some top assistants he trust to help him better game plan offensively. He never helped himself by surrounding himself with better offensive minded coaches, and IMO it's his biggest downfall no matter where he coaches next year. The lack of offensive schemes on in-bounds plays and late game situations is a huge negative toward Martin. Martin simply can't win late game situations with lesser talent then his opponent because he doesn't posses the offensive mind set to out scheme other coaches. It's not that I don't like Martin, it's just that I don't think X and O wise he could hold the jock strap of the top coaches in the country. He simply can't win us games by his coaching in terms of offense, and it really worries me going forward with him.

I hope he stays, but I can understand if he goes. He has had no real support since his name was announced as the new coach.

After the way this has been spun by everybody.... and none of it on both sides is entirely accurate....If he stays...I'll pull as hard as any fan does for him to succeed...if he goes....I'll be fine with that as well....I really don't think someone of his coaching abilities that we have seen thus far is that hard to replace...what is REALLY hard to replace is his character, integrity, and respect that the players have for him...Those are the things I would miss...Sooooo...I voted..."I don't know"...because if he doesn't want to be here...then this is the last place I want him at....

Reactions: 4 people
After the way this has been spun by everybody.... and none of it on both sides is entirely accurate....If he stays...I'll pull as hard as any fan does for him to succeed...if he goes....I'll be fine with that as well....I really don't think someone of his coaching abilities that we have seen thus far is that hard to replace...what is REALLY hard to replace is his character, integrity, and respect that the players have for him...Those are the things I would miss...Sooooo...I voted..."I don't know"...because if he doesn't want to be here...then this is the last place I want him at....

Agree 100%

My heart says I would like to see him stay and see what he can do. Could he get Stokes to stay, does he have an incoming class full of guys underrated who are gonna really surprise? Can he add a missing piece in Rhett? Maybe next year is better than this year?

However my head says that it's probably never going to work out for both sides, and if it's not now it'll likely be later. So if you're going to make a good hire then I suppose why delay the inevitable, and how hard is a coach who really doesn't wanna be here ultimately gonna work?

I think at this point the relationship is irreconcilable and may be best for both parties to go their separate ways.

My heart says I would like to see him stay and see what he can do. Could he get Stokes to stay, does he have an incoming class full of guys underrated who are gonna really surprise? Can he add a missing piece in Rhett? Maybe next year is better than this year?

However my head says that it's probably never going to work out for both sides, and if it's not now it'll likely be later. So if you're going to make a good hire then I suppose why delay the inevitable, and how hard is a coach who really doesn't wanna be here ultimately gonna work?

I think at this point the relationship is irreconcilable and may be best for both parties to go their separate ways.

BTO I have a serious question for you. Why do you think Zo, with his great personality and care for people, was never able to assemble a staff of quality X and O coaches? I mean from all outside accounts, Martin is a great person to work under.

If he's going to go he needs to go ahead and leave. I don't want this to become an embarrassing circus.

I wanted him to stay, but if hes even considering marquette, i'm fine if he goes. I want a coach who is all vol.

VN Store

Back