Finebaum Tweet on Cuonzo

Captain Awesome

SIAP

@finebaum: Cuonzo Martin leaning toward Marquette, @GoodmanESPN tells us. Gregg Marshall likely tops wish list at UT if change is made..

I think Cuonzo is a great person and I still think he can be a good coach...but swapping him for Marshall would be an absolute home run.

Reactions: 34 people
Unless Hart's willing to put out a rather large contract for Marshall (and he should), I don't see that happening.

SIAP

@finebaum: Cuonzo Martin leaning toward Marquette, @GoodmanESPN tells us. Gregg Marshall likely tops wish list at UT if change is made..

My guess is that Martin leaves. Hart will try to hire Marshall but Marshall won't come. Then we hire another up & coming coach that we can get at a cheap price.

Another Buzz, Counzo, Danny Manning, etc. etc.

Reactions: 2 people
I can think of 36K individuals who like signing things. How about signing a nice check to help defray the costs?

I can't be the only one who isn't sold on Marshall.

Marshall, is, uhm, how do you say, awkward to the extreme in terms of dealing with people. His ability to run a program, deal with boosters/promote, and recruit have always been the knock on him. I know a few people that grew up around him in South Carolina, and most say he is a grade A - A-Hole. That being said, it would be interesting to see his ability to coach can overcome this issue. You can't argue his coaching ability. Expect a steady flow of JuCo's to U.T. if they sign Marshall, that has been his general M.O. I don't think Marshall is a big of a sure thing as most people, but he certainly wouldn't be a bad hire. However, if you thought Martin was boring, you're really going to think Marshall is boring.

Unless Hart's willing to put out a rather large contract for Marshall (and he should), I don't see that happening.

How much would it take?

He currently makes $1.75 at Wichita State.

If Hart was willing to bump Martin to $2.0m can he not afford $2.25 for Marshall?

Especially when you add in the buyout Marin would owe?

Reactions: 1 person
If Marshall is number one on Harts list, he is willing to spend some cash. Great move if true,a definite upgrade.

Here's the thing with Marshall, some others have mentioned...

1. You didn't like Martin's personality, you really won't like Marshall.

2. You didn't like the pace Martin played at, you really won't like Marshall.

3. You didn't like the way Martin recruited, you really won't like Marshall.

4. You're tied in for a long time, so you better hope it works.

Reactions: 10 people

VN Store

Back