What about the players??

iKrager

I can't imagine what's going through the players heads. First theres talk that their coach might get fired and now there's talk that he might leave.

Do you really think Martin will leave "his guys"? He will have to spend another 3-4 years getting players to fit his system and not to mention he's already built a huge relationship with the current roster. The recruiting class he just got, what does he tell those players? After the success of this season and the "never give up" instinct he instilled on our players; wouldn't it be a bit much if he left Tennessee? How will the players handle it? They seemed to trust Cuonzo Martin quite a bit.

Just some thoughts..

I know he gave you a shot Reese, but it's a business and you sell when your stock is at it's highest.

Reactions: 3 people
Those players aren't his family as much as a coach might want to throw that out there. The main thing a coach cares about is taking care of himself and his family. If he feels he doesn't have the support from the UT admin, he's gone.

Reactions: 1 person
He tells the incoming recruits he got an offer to good to refuse and he has to move on. As far as the guys on the roster if Stokes leaves does he really want to base his career on winning with the people he has left. It would be career suicide and so if Marquette offers him the job he is gone. Players go through this all the time nothing new about a coach leaving players behind.

Plus you work where you are the most comfortable and where you are happier. Closer to home. Your assiants are back home and closer to their connections. CCM was never going to be here long term. He was going to jump as soon as he could to a school up north in the Mid East. This is a great business opportunity. He has to think about his family first before anything else. There will never be a better opportunity than this for CCM. Continue to build your resume and wait until Purdue becomes available.

Reactions: 4 people
Ask Vanderbilt football players about it.

EDIT: I'm not comparing Martin's character to Franklin's by any means, just that it's business.

Reactions: 2 people
Plus you work where you are the most comfortable and where you are happier. Closer to home. Your assiants are back home and closer to their connections. CCM was never going to be here long term. He was going to jump as soon as he could to a school up north in the Mid East. This is a great business opportunity. He has to think about his family first before anything else. There will never be a better opportunity than this for CCM. Continue to build your resume and wait until Purdue becomes available.
His family lives here. As Cuonzo, he's going to have to talk it over with his players, assistants and family to make a decision. If it really were this black and white, the move would have already happened. He needs to make sure everyone is as comfortable about the move as he is (or isn't). JMO

Last edited:
You've gotta do you, as the kids say lol.

If Martin's sitting here thinking, worst case scenario I go to Marquette for 5 year 2+ million and I'm set for life.

I stick at Tennessee for $1.8m and may get canned next year, I'm stuck looking for another job.

You gotta do what's best for you personally, if Zo stays it's because Hart really wants him and said, write your own contract.

Reactions: 2 people
His family lives here. As a Cuonzo, he's going to have to talk it over with his players, assistants and family to make a decision. If it really were this black and white, the move would have already happened. He needs to make sure everyone is as comfortable about the move as he is (or isn't). JMO

All his assistants would likely prefer the move, Harris played at Marquette, the other guys it would all be closer to "home".

Are you kidding? They all want to get paid. How many coaches turn down significantly larger checks?
Well to name a few... Gregg Marshall to non-mid majors, Shaka Smart at VCU, Billy Donovan's decision to stay in college (not in the NBA where the $$ is). To be fair though, I can find way more coaches that left for more money. All I'm saying is, coaches don't only go where the money is. It's more than just money.

All his assistants would likely prefer the move, Harris played at Marquette, the other guys it would all be closer to "home".
Just curious as to why everyone is considering Marquette "home", other than Harris, Marquette is about as foreign as it gets. Just because your farther away from the equator doesn't make it anymore home.

His family lives here. As Cuonzo, he's going to have to talk it over with his players, assistants and family to make a decision. If it really were this black and white, the move would have already happened. He needs to make sure everyone is as comfortable about the move as he is (or isn't). JMO
Family might be the key. though Martin is tough as nails and probably just shrugged off the petition and other criticism, I have to wonder how Roberta took it and how much flack his kids took in school over the mess.
A family prayer meeting and all could be hearing, 'Leave this land for better pastures.'

Family might be the key. though Martin is tough as nails and probably just shrugged off the petition and other criticism, I have to wonder how Roberta took it and how much flack his kids took in school over the mess.
A family prayer meeting and all could be hearing, 'Leave this land for better pastures.'
If you were Martin and his family, would you want to leave Tennessee and start all over? Knoxville is pretty damn beautiful after all :biggrin:

If you were Martin and his family, would you want to leave Tennessee and start all over? Knoxville is pretty damn beautiful after all :biggrin:
I wouldn't send one of my dogs to wisconsin, but you have to wonder what effect all the negativity had on his family. and he's a family guy.

Just curious as to why everyone is considering Marquette "home", other than Harris, Marquette is about as foreign as it gets. Just because your farther away from the equator doesn't make it anymore home.

Tracy Webster is from Chicago, an hour and a half from Marquette.

For everybody on the staff, it's closer to home than Tennessee.

Have to think the Midwest ties would also help recruiting, no?

Tracy Webster is from Chicago, an hour and a half from Marquette.

For everybody on the staff, it's closer to home than Tennessee.

Have to think the Midwest ties would also help recruiting, no?
Yes of course. How close are the coaches to their "ties" and how strong are they? Not to mention the coaches have built up their own ties here in the south.

Also.. Chicago is a 6 hour drive from Marquette, so unless Tracy Webster is getting access to a private plane, that's not close.

Yes of course. How close are the coaches to their "ties" and how strong are they? Not to mention the coaches have built up their own ties here in the south.

Also.. Chicago is a 6 hour drive from Marquette, so unless Tracy Webster is getting access to a private plane, that's not close.

Google maps says it's 90 miles?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 3 people

Get a map genius! It's 92 miles :crazy:

oops

VN Store

Back