Would you pay Cuonzo 2.5 million a year to stay?

Would you pay Cuonzo Martin 2.5 million a year to stay at UT?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oregonvol

Just wanted to get some numbers on where folks stood on this, so I decided to do a poll.

I've always liked Cuonzo and thought he was a pretty good coach. I never called for him to be fired or signed any petitions, but I still can't see going all out to keep him either.

Would you really want to pay him more than Auburn paid Pearl? To make him one of the top 10-15 paid coaches in the nation? Top 3 in the SEC?

Also, if he is meeting with others schools and playing this game after his first NCAA tournament appearance, what do you expect him to do if he ever has any sustained success here?

How often do coaches play this card and end up staying long term? It seems like once they start looking around and putting themselves out there, chances are they will leave eventually. Do you really want to set yourself up for that in the future? Or would it be better to make the break now and get someone who really wants to be here?

No. Let him go if that is his demand.

Interesting that Buzz Williams took a pay cut to get out of Marquette and go to a power conference and a nontraditional power like Va Tech. I’d say let him go if he wants us to match a 2.5 mill plus offer from Marquette. Don’t think he is worth that… That would make him the third highest paid coach in the SEC behind Donavan and Cal, who are both in the Final Four currently and have both won national titles.

NO.
I don't think he'll recruit well enough in the future to overcome his shortcomings as a coach.

Reactions: 1 person
No there are a lot better coaches out there for that kind of money. I say offer him a extension and a 20% pay increase and if he does not take it move on.

2.0 with bonus each year after. Also at least a 2.5 buyout if he chooses to leave early. 2.5 if TN chooses to let him go. Both buyouts drop .5 million after each season.

If the basketball program is able to take care of itself, then I would. I am not sure how much money the basketball program generates, but I am sure it generates enough.

2 million to leave. i think we hire ine of these vn guys. there are some on here that knows everything

No, he's not worth $2.5M, he's barely worth $1.8M if you ask me.

Other then the way this team has played the past few weeks is there any other evidence that would suggest Martin is the man for the job? I'd say no.

Offer a two year extension, and maybe $1.8M but nothing higher.

I had a great time rooting on the Vols the last 10 days they were playing. But I'm done with the CCM era. If he stays next year, then I'll keep supporting the team, but he's never been a good fit here and it's time to move on for both parties.

Cuanzo Martin is the luckiest man on the planet. His players and a sweet draw in the tournament saved his @ss from being fired, plain and simple. Now he's gonna try and cash in on that.

No way I pay that guy more money. It would just be our luck that the UTAD pays him over 2 million and we dont even make the tournament next year. And our recruiting pipeline looks like trash.

If he wants to go to Marquette, tell him to pound sand!

$2.5m for Cuonzo Makes absolutely no sense.

All of these guys make less than 2.5m:

John Beilein - Michigan
Jim Boeheim - Syracuse
Jay Wright - Villanova
Bo Ryan - Wisconsin
Rick barnes - Texas
Sean Miller - Arizona

You essentially make Cuonzo a top 10-15 paid coach with 2.5million. Who can honestly think he's a top 10-15 coach?

Reactions: 1 person
$2.5m for Cuonzo Makes absolutely no sense.

All of these guys make less than 2.5m:

John Beilein - Michigan
Jim Boeheim - Syracuse
Jay Wright - Villanova
Bo Ryan - Wisconsin
Rick barnes - Texas
Sean Miller - Arizona

You essentially make Cuonzo a top 10-15 paid coach with 2.5million. Who can honestly think he's a top 10-15 coach?

Answer: Dave "Bammer" Hart

VN Store

Back