Step back and pretend

Orangedogsrule

PULEEZE LET SMOKEY WIN!!!
you're not a VOL fan. You live 1,000 miles away and you're watching this year's coaching carosel.

There's Marquette, Big East, somewhere in the middle of the pack; and Tennessee,SEC, with a Sweet16 appearance.

Neither school is 'blue blood' in basketball like Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana, etc. (Who are the top 10 or so basketball blueblood schools?) Not Tennessee nor Marquette.

So, from a distance, BOTH, schools ARE stepping stones for a Div 1 coaches career. Especially Tennessee with it's history of lowball basketball coach salaries. This job ain't even a stone in the deepest water of the river of Div 1 jobs. It never has been.

Why are so many thinking the UT movers and shakers and back room dealers are going to do any different should Martin leave? We're just going to trade one up and comer who did meet Sweet 16 expectations many had ( i placed the bar at going dancing) for a different up and comer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Have to agree that "stepping stone" is what we are right now.

Keep hoping that eventually we'll get someone in admin that'll change that.

you're not a VOL fan. You live 1,000 miles away and you're watching this year's coaching carosel.

There's Marquette, Big East, somewhere in the middle of the pack; and Tennessee,SEC, with a Sweet16 appearance.

Neither school is 'blue blood' in basketball like Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana, etc. (Who are the top 10 or so basketball blueblood schools?) Not Tennessee nor Marquette.

So, from a distance, BOTH, schools ARE stepping stones for a Div 1 coaches career. Especially Tennessee with it's history of lowball basketball coach salaries. This job ain't even a stone in the deepest water of the river of Div 1 jobs. It never has been.

Why are so many thinking the UT movers and shakers and back room dealers are going to do any different should Martin leave? We're just going to trade one up and comer who did meet Sweet 16 expectations many had ( i placed the bar at going dancing) for a different up and comer.

Suppose I am a successful coach from Western Kentucky University. Tennessee is interested in hiring me. The first thing I do is call Martin and see what he says about the job.

How is Hart to work for? Are all of the essentials provided to you to create a successful program? What is the fan base like? How is local recruiting like? Will the boosters let you use their plane on occasion?

Then I more than likely end up NOT being interested in the Tennessee job.

Reactions: 8 people
Suppose I am a successful coach from Western Kentucky University. Tennessee is interested in hiring me. The first thing I do is call Martin and see what he says about the job.

How is Hart to work for? Are all of the essentials provided to you to create a successful program? What is the fan base like? How is local recruiting like? Will the boosters let you use their plane on occasion?

Then I more than likely end up NOT being interested in the Tennessee job.

In a business world if you ask one person how the business is and then make your decision based only on that person's responses you probably aren't a very good business man.

I would probably look at it and come to the conclusion Tennessee has been run by idiots. I agree we hire like we're a stepping stone, but we've also shown that the fan support is there and continues to be there, and we can be nationally relevant.

As I said in another thread, this ain't Indiana football here.

i know that no one wants to hear this, but from a historical perspective, tennessee basketball doesn't belong in the same conversation as marquette basketball.

i know that no one wants to hear this, but from a historical perspective, tennessee basketball doesn't belong in the same conversation as marquette basketball.

I am not very familiar with what they have accomplished in the tournament so please, educate me.

In comparison to UT's

(0) Championships
(0) Runner Ups
(0) Final Four's
(1) Elite Eight's
(7) Sweet Sixteen's
(20) Tourney Appearances

They did make the Elite Eight last year....................

No, I meant are there people here actually arguing we have as good or a better history than Marquette? He said "no one wants to hear", but other than a few people that clearly don't know much about college basketball history, I've not seen anyone act like this would be some major revelation.

What's your point? I'm obviously missing it. UT basketball doesnt come close to what Marquette basketball has accomplished and its better program.

My guess is he's taking a shot at UT's support of men's basketball historically, or lack of. From the AD that is.

No, I meant are there people here actually arguing we have as good or a better history than Marquette? He said "no one wants to hear", but other than a few people that clearly don't know much about college basketball history, I've not seen anyone act like this would be some major revelation.

Oh I hope not, and I would add that Marquette is a better program now, currently.

What's your point? I'm obviously missing it. UT basketball doesnt come close to what Marquette basketball has accomplished and its better program.

Turn on your sarcasm meter and just relax. Thanks for the info too.

Who said otherwise, historically?

let me expand on what i was thinking.

yes, marquette and tennessee are both not blue bloods.

however, there are more than two categories of basketball jobs beyond (a) blue bloods and (b) everyone else.

marquette, historically, has been a very successful basketball program. they just don't have the same money to throw around.

tennessee can spend the money if they choose to.

let me expand on what i was thinking.

yes, marquette and tennessee are both not blue bloods.

however, there are more than two categories of basketball jobs beyond (a) blue bloods and (b) everyone else.

marquette, historically, has been a very successful basketball program. they just don't have the same money to throw around.

tennessee can spend the money if they choose to.

No I get that, but is anyone here seriously arguing our history is as good or better than theirs? Other than people that obviously don't know much about college basketball history?

VN Store

Back