Double Cuonzo's Pay

WiseOlVol

He got more out of our talent than anyone reasonably could expect. Yes, we have had 2-3 great players, but no depth. If we're at the same talent level in 3 years, which is doubtful, then perhaps you look at why.

But this guy has class, knows how to coach Defense -- which wins games and doesn't require as much talent -- and is respected because he was a fine player and now is a player's coach.

Only at UT would let going for perfect (which we're not getting) get in the way of something perfectly good and that's getting better.

Reactions: 3 people
He got more out of our talent than anyone reasonably could expect. Yes, we have had 2-3 great players, but no depth. If we're at the same talent level in 3 years, which is doubtful, then perhaps you look at why.

But this guy has class, knows how to coach Defense -- which wins games and doesn't require as much talent -- and is respected because he was a fine player and now is a player's coach.

Only at UT would going for perfect (which we're not getting) get in the way of something perfectly good and that's getting better.
Who's fault is it we didn't have depth?

Reactions: 22 people
Not buying this notion completely.

If we are willing to spend $3M for a basketball coach (which the probability of that happening is less than 5%) you can do a lot better than Cuonzo (and that's not a shot at Martin).

Reactions: 6 people
Let me get this straight. We beat the #1 D team (UVA) by 35, make a run at the end to finish 4th in the SEC, win 3 games in the NCAA (the same # as Michigan), we have Stokes and Richardson coming back as Srs., and we just let the guy go? Or worse, force him out?

Idiocy. No way our Athletic Department and Boosters are that stupid.

Not buying this notion completely.

If we are willing to spend $3M for a basketball coach (which the probability of that happening is less than 5%) you can do a lot better than Cuonzo (and that's not a shot at Martin).

OK, name 3.

Reactions: 1 person
Let me get this straight. We beat the #1 D team (UVA) by 35, make a run at the end to finish 4th in the SEC, win 3 games in the NCAA (the same # as Michigan), we have Stokes and Richardson coming back as Srs., and we just let the guy go? Or worse, force him out?

Yeah, Cuonzo hasn't been bad, but he's not worth $2.5M-$3M at this point.

Also, our boosters tried to sabotage Martin's recruiting efforts during the middle of the season. I wouldn't trust our boosters to do anything right.

Reactions: 5 people

Agree with all, 'cept the last sentence. "liked" though...

Years from now, I don't think people will be amazed that Tennessee beat Iowa, Massachusetts and mercer.

Or finished 4th in the sec

Reactions: 7 people

It would be more ignorant to pay a coach like Martin 3M a year

Ben Howland
Lawrence Frank
Scott Skiles

And those aren't even currently employed college coaches.

How many games did we lose because of coaching this year? How many did we win because of it?

Can those guys beat UF and UK consistently? If not, then what's the point?

Are they going to recruit 5* players to come here? It's at best a guess.

Gene Kaedy rarely had more talent than Cuonzo has. He coached fundamentals, defense and hard work. This pays off in the long run. If this becomes UT's identity, it is a good one.

How many games did we lose because of coaching this year? How many did we win because of it?

Can those guys beat UF and UK consistently? If not, then what's the point?

Are they going to recruit 5* players to come here? It's at best a guess.

Gene Kaedy rarely had more talent than Cuonzo has. He coached fundamentals, defense and hard work. This pays off in the long run. If this becomes UT's identity, it is a good one.

All that previous stuff doesn't matter.

Martin has not done a bad job here, but he has simply not deserved $2.5M like you are suggesting.

Reactions: 2 people
Years from now, I don't think people will be amazed that Tennessee beat Iowa, Massachusetts and mercer.

Or finished 4th in the sec

It's not that they beat those teams, it's that UT was a bad call/flop from the E8, after an heroic comeback vs. a very good team...a team that was in the Finals a year ago. We should have been proud of the confidence our guys showed at the most critical moments. This carries over from year to year if you keep the same system and can add some talent.

Reactions: 2 people
All that previous stuff doesn't matter.

Martin has not done a bad job here, but he has simply not deserved $2.5M like you are suggesting.

You can't recruit top talent if you're always looking to replace the HC.

Haven't we had enough of this?

Reactions: 4 people
You can't recruit top talent if you're always looking to replace the HC.

Haven't we had enough of this?

Coming from the guy with such adamant Dooley hate, he could've fueled the entire "anti-Dooley" train himself. You, of all people, should know how that's such a poor argument.

Double paying a coach who has 2 NIT appearances, 1 NCAA Tournament appearance, and a Sweet 16 run by beating teams we're supposed to beat in all 3 years he's been here? Seems pretty legit to me.

Last edited:
In 3 years at UT he has 3 good weeks due to some decent coaching/ luck and that deserves getting your salary doubled? Hell give me a job where in 3 years I just have to pay attention for 3 weeks

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back