Cuonzo Martin met with Marquette Sunday afternoon

What has LWS said?

I think he is referring to the fact that the boosters pulling their planes wasn't necessarily a "Fire Cuonzo now!" thing put more of a power move to try and get Hart's attention to go after Pearl.

What has LWS said?

1. That Hart won't counter.
2. That some boosters pulled planes on Zo
3. That if we have to make a hire it'll be a similar pay grade to current Zo

That last one is the most frustrating. Watching auburn make a good hire, Va Tech do the same, Dayton retain their coach....and Tennessee lose theirs and replace him with John Doe from SCXU who's never made the NCAAT, pathetic.

Reactions: 11 people
I think he is referring to the fact that the boosters pulling their planes wasn't necessarily a "Fire Cuonzo now!" thing put more of a power move to try and get Hart's attention to go after Pearl.

That, but more that if we lose Zo we will look to pay the lowest salary For a coach in conference.

Truthfully, with fan support at a minimal for pretty much the entire season and then this from the boosters, why wouldn't Martin leave? Every fan base is going to play it by ear and beat the "what have you done lately" drum on an unproven coach. If its similar money, he's gone. The Buzz shadow is nothing like the Pearl shadow.

Truthfully, with fan support at a minimal for pretty much the entire season and then this from the boosters, why wouldn't Martin leave? Every fan base is going to play it by ear and beat the "what have you done lately" drum on an unproven coach. If its similar money, he's gone. The Buzz shadow is nothing like the Pearl shadow.

Oh I'm not frustrated the least if he goes, it's the fact that Hart is gonna blow the chance to hire a proven coach, and opt for another mid major learning on the job.

Reactions: 2 people
1. That Hart won't counter.
2. That some boosters pulled planes on Zo
3. That if we have to make a hire it'll be a similar pay grade to current Zo

That last one is the most frustrating. Watching auburn make a good hire, Va Tech do the same, Dayton retain their coach....and Tennessee lose theirs and replace him with John Doe from SCXU who's never made the NCAAT, pathetic.

I agree. You wouldn't even be able to pull a begging Howland for that. Prepare to Google info on our next coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Not only is there no counter off but we'd be looking to get somebody for around the same pay grade? Who knows if that's true, but it's a joke. No way Hart will do something that stupid.

Not only is there no counter off but we'd be looking to get somebody for around the same pay grade? Who knows if that's true, but it's a joke. No way Hart will do something that stupid.

I think the money comment is speculation. Clearly, boosters care more than we thought. That's actually a pretty bold move by then. History does suggest that his assumptions are spot on. UT doesn't spend money on coaches...maybe a strong push from the boosters changes that perspective.

If this is all true and Hart actually goes out and hires another guy where 90% of the fanbase has to Google his name, I will simply stop giving a damn about UT basketball, because it's clear TPTB don't care about winning.

If true, and considering the waning support when the program could've used a fanbase with more backbone (including yours truly), I think Zo would be well within his rights to examine his options. It's most fortunate the way UT conducted themselves; showed the world that Tennessee belonged in the big dance and that playing there would be a positive experience for a young athlete. April is going to be a month of questions and answers when coaching at UT is in the conversation. I hope he sticks around. If not, though, I think some seriously good HC's would take our program seriously. I'd still love for Pearl to somehow end up in Knoxville, but if not there are some others, like Gregg Marshall and Kirby Smart and Joe Dooley. Who have I missed here? Thank you Mr. Martin. You've conducted yourself as a classy coach and you're an exemplary gentleman. Just please make your decision known ASAP. Let's keep Stokes on board and we should be competitive, if we pick up another inside monster to replace Maymon and pick up on 3's plus steady up at PG, we'll dance again.

You guys know I called for Cuonzo's release at the end of the year (that's why I'm not the AD) and even after our really nice run I don't think he's going to be the guy to get Tennessee in the NCAAT consistently.

But this whole thing has the potential to be really, really, really bad for the program. Cuonzo leaving would be an absolute cluster**** in terms national news for the program. Couple that with UT potentially not wanting to spend money....and this could be a disaster.

Reactions: 2 people
You guys know I called for Cuonzo's release at the end of the year (that's why I'm not the AD) and even after our really nice run I don't think he's going to be the guy to get Tennessee in the NCAAT consistently.

But this whole thing has the potential to be really, really, really bad for the program. Cuonzo leaving would be an absolute cluster**** in terms national news for the program. Couple that with UT potentially not wanting to spend money....and this could be a disaster.

Yep. We could become the new South Carolina of SEC basketball. We probably won't even have Auburn to keep us company in the gutter.

VN Store

Back