Is Wednesday our deadline?

Dougie_D

Wes Rucker tweeted : Cuonzo's buyout dips from $2.6 million to $1.3 million on Tuesday. Would be shocked if anything was officially announced before then.

To answer though...

If we don't hear anything by Wednesday it would appear Martin is holding out for Marquette.

If he's gonna stay at Tennessee you could hear something official before Wednesday.

To answer though...

If we don't hear anything by Wednesday it would appear Martin is holding out for Marquette.

If he's gonna stay at Tennessee you could hear something official before Wednesday.

if Marquette offers, we will likely know Tuesday. Expect him to take it if offer is made.. doubt we counter

if Marquette offers, we will likely know Tuesday. Expect him to take it if offer is made.. doubt we counter

Well there u have it....So will Hart hire a up an comer or try for a proven coach if Martin leaves

Don't understand why hart isn't doing something about it. We will be searching for a new coach soon if he doesn't act.

Well there u have it....So will Hart hire a up an comer or try for a proven coach if Martin leaves

IMO, the hire will be someone in the same salary range as what Martin is getting if he leaves..

that doesn't mean the coach he is hiring is not proven. Not sure what your idea is of a "proven coach".

IMO, the hire will be someone in the same salary range as what Martin is getting if he leaves..

that doesn't mean the coach he is hiring is not proven. Not sure what your idea is of a "proven coach".

My idea of more proven would be 6+ years of HC experience and more than one Sweet 16 appearance, because that's what he's letting walk.

Reactions: 1 person

He might mean a coach who is a proven winner at the major D-1 level or a coach who has taken a mid-major program to the NCAAT, preferably more than once, and with a victory in the tourney at some point.

Reactions: 1 person

Would the reason for not countering be because it would cost more than we believe his record warrants, or because it's simply more than we're willing to spend on basketball?
I think the latter possibility is what scares people.

He might mean a coach who is a proven winner at the major D-1 level or a coach who has taken a mid-major program to the NCAAT, preferably more than once, and with a victory in the tourney at some point.

Pretty much

My idea of more proven would be 6+ years of HC experience and more than one Sweet 16 appearance, because that's what he's letting walk.

your probably talking in the 2 million dollar range and I don't see Tennessee going after anyone in that range. Be 1.5 or less.

remember, got Pearl for 800K from a mid level program. inflation has that number up to 1.2 to 1.5 now. I think that is our market

your probably talking in the 2 million dollar range and I don't see Tennessee going after anyone in that range. Be 1.5 or less.

remember, got Pearl for 800K from a mid level program. inflation has that number up to 1.2 to 1.5 now. I think that is our market

There you go.

:eek:lol:

Right...less than that in return would be weak, no?

Agreed.
If Martin leaves, and we respond by giving another mid-major coach a salary that is average or below average in the SEC, then this is a bad trade.

(Not that a high salary alone makes someone a great coach.)

Would the reason for not countering be because it would cost more than we believe his record warrants, or because it's simply more than we're willing to spend on basketball?
I think the latter possibility is what scares people.

I think the reasons are:

There is some booster unrest with Martin or was before tournament run.

there is a lot of fan unrest with Martin or was before tournament run

6 weeks ago, there was an administration that was pondering replacing him at end of year but that was before tournament run.

SO I think with the lack of support just a few short weeks ago and Martin looking to leave it is probably in everyone's best interest to cut ties at this juncture.

I think the reasons are:

There is some booster unrest with Martin or was before tournament run.

there is a lot of fan unrest with Martin or was before tournament run

6 weeks ago, there was an administration that was pondering replacing him at end of year but that was before tournament run.

SO I think with the lack of support just a few short weeks ago and Martin looking to leave it is probably in everyone's best interest to cut ties at this juncture.

Great summary.
May be best for all involved.
But, it will sting to see a basketball coach leave UT for the new Big East.

Great summary.
May be best for all involved.
But, it will sting to see a basketball coach leave UT for the new Big East.

It's not going to sting half as much as who we get...based on that money.

It's not going to sting half as much as who we get...based on that money.

I could get surprised. that is just my opinion based on our history and the financial issues currently within the athletic department.. Hart has been stopping even small expenditures trying to stabilize that situation.. to get a new coach and not have an outlay of new money would be big for him. Again, just my opinion..

Hart sees this as an opportunity to move on and isn't "in love with Martin" I'm guessing?

Edit: apparently we are too cheap, awesome

Last edited:
I could get surprised. that is just my opinion based on our history and the financial issues currently within the athletic department.. Hart has been stopping even small expenditures trying to stabilize that situation.. to get a new coach and not have an outlay of new money would be big for him. Again, just my opinion..

We'll have to wait and see I guess. Appreciate the info, don't mean to seem angry...but I am. This is embarrassing.

Wow, SMFH if true

VN Store

Back