Thoughts on UM Game, Season, Future

VOLywood

There are lots of great discussion points out right now on our b-ball program, so here's my take...

1. The end of the UM game was a joke (thanks Capt. Obvious), but I've seen a whole lot of people jump right back on the CCM-bashing bandwagon by saying that the choice to go to Stokes on the last play was "the wrong call". Give me a break. Stokes proved throughout the tourney that he's the most sure-handed player on our team. He consistently handled the ball, even putting it on the deck and driving, in the middle of double and triple teams. You go with your best odds in crunch time. McRae was miserable from the foul line, so why take the chance of putting him back there in an even higher pressure situation? Good play call by CCM. According to the rules the foul call should have been blocking. In Dec/Jan it would have been called correctly. Not sure why officiating reverted back to the "old way" all of a sudden in the tournament with no warning, but it's garbage.

2. For those saying UM was the "better team" and that we're lucky we didn't get blown out....I call b.s. UM played the game of their life and we were right there at the end with a chance to win. When the better team plays out of their mind and goes off from the 3-pt line, you get blown out, period. We didn't. Had UM had a "normal" game, IMO we would have won easily, meaning we are the better team, and I honestly believe that we are. They got hot and the shots were falling which opened driving lanes and made the offense unstoppable for a long portion of the 1st half. It wasn't our lack of defense, it was just a lucky hot streak from a team of good shooters.

3. In retrospect, this was a heckuva season. Yes, it got frustrating in Jan/Feb, but the team showed grit and character. They persevered even when a large portion of their fan base (who should be counted on to support them through even the worst of times) turned their backs on them. I believe this was all because of CCM. Great man of character and great role model and leader for those young men. Kudos to him for taking the high road and teaching them to do the same. It showed up big time in the tournament, down to the very last minutes of the final game.

4. Now, just as some predicted, CCM is likely to be recruited by some major b-ball programs (and no, UT is not a major b-ball program....yet). It's a shame to think that if our fan base had supported him the whole time, no program out there would even think they had a shot. I mean, why would a guy want to leave a place where he was supported and loved even in periods of adversity? Unfortunately, our fickle fan base (even if it is a minority, it's a very vocal minority that always gets picked up by the talking heads in the media) made sure that now we'll have to sweat it out. If CCM leaves it would be a crushing blow. I seriously hope it doesn't happen, but would completely understand if Martin chose to go elsewhere.

5. I honestly don't understand why people are already casting doubts of doom and gloom over next season. I'm personally very excited. I'd be shocked if JRich didn't surpass McRae's senior performance. Maymon held his own this year as a wily veteran, but his lack of mobility showed up big time in the tourney and getting some elite athleticism in the 4-spot like a more mature AJ Davis will be an upgrade. Barton played well at times, but a sophomore Darius Thompson is a better PG option than a senior Barton. Add in Reese and Moore, who will continue to develop and bring a veteran presence after a lot of meaningful minutes this year, plus at least some contribution from a freshman or two, and you've got a solid team. The only question mark is the 5, but if Stokes returns (which I think is a good possibility) and/or we get Rhett, I think next year's team will be better than this year's....more athletic, no loss of experience, still with an all-SEC player or two, and a more energetic defense.

Well, for those who stuck this long post out, let me know your thoughts. Here's to the inevitable lull until the O&W game, then a long and lazy summer.

Proud of our team. GoVols. #TougherBreed #VFL

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
I completely agree with you. At this point I just wonder if the fan base is as torn as they appear. I myself sometimes post out of frustration. But I'm not ever giving up on my team. Whomever is our coach next season has a lot of pieces in place. I hope its Martin.

Agree with a bunch of your points... But not all. First of all the criticism of Martin was fair. This is one of them most talented/experienced rosters we've ever had and we needed a play in game to make the tourney. If this were compared to football... We would have ended the season without a bowl game. That's kinda what Dooley did with bray, hunter, cp, ect. If a bigger program lures him away so be it. Now I definitely would like to see him return, just not going to sweat it either way.

I'm proud of the team and what they accomplished. It was an exciting run, and I totally agree that on any other night we beat them. Not only did we endure the greatest shooting performance I've ever seen, but also endured on of most biased officiating I can remember. Mainly the last call. Stokes had every right to head inside with the ball. He moved to avoid Morgan. Morgan threw his body in front of him. He didn't have his feet planted and stand his ground (which is what constitutes a charge). Terrible way to end. But that's basketball. Of all the sports out there the reffs ultimately determine the outcome in most closely contested games. Better luck next year, with or without martim

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
MichiganCheerleaderNotImpressed.gif

My thoughts exactly

Great post. I think the best point was number 3. Look at Dooley throughout his last years at UT. Obviously they are two completely different situations, but he lost his players. He lost any chance at maintaining an average football team due to the media, the fans, and the outcomes of his game. CCM proved that he truly didn't care about the media. He didn't care about the fan base's opinion about him. He was just there to do his job and more by molding these college boys into men. I have been a supporter of Cuonzo from the day he was hired and defended him from the Bruce supporters. I can admit I also got frustrated because I knew how much this team was capable of, but that is no excuse for me as a Tennessee fan. The Tennessee passion will not change, and it shouldn't, we will just have to see if Cuonzo embraces that passion or wants out. He deserves a hell of a lot more than we gave him, but thats what you get when you come to Tennessee. No matter how degenerate, delusional, and passionate about sports we may seem, we expect the best. It seems unfair, but thats the way it is going to be. I support Cuonzo and his decision either way. It was an interesting season that unfortunately got cut short, but a great season. Go Vols.

I hope Cuonzo stays, he deserves it. If not, you who on earth would want to coach here with 36,000 signing a petition to ax him after 3 years while dreaming of the former coach who cheated and lied. You reap what you sow.

Reactions: 2 people
Agree with a bunch of your points... But not all. First of all the criticism of Martin was fair. This is one of them most talented/experienced rosters we've ever had and we needed a play in game to make the tourney. If this were compared to football... We would have ended the season without a bowl game. That's kinda what Dooley did with bray, hunter, cp, ect. If a bigger program lures him away so be it. Now I definitely would like to see him return, just not going to sweat it either way.

I'm proud of the team and what they accomplished. It was an exciting run, and I totally agree that on any other night we beat them. Not only did we endure the greatest shooting performance I've ever seen, but also endured on of most biased officiating I can remember. Mainly the last call. Stokes had every right to head inside with the ball. He moved to avoid Morgan. Morgan threw his body in front of him. He didn't have his feet planted and stand his ground (which is what constitutes a charge). Terrible way to end. But that's basketball. Of all the sports out there the reffs ultimately determine the outcome in most closely contested games. Better luck next year, with or without martim

How was this season like not making a bowl in football? This basketball team made the Sweet Sixteen! That is a successful season for any basketball team. It would be like making a New Year's Day bowl in football.

Great post. I think the best point was number 3. Look at Dooley throughout his last years at UT. Obviously they are two completely different situations, but he lost his players. He lost any chance at maintaining an average football team due to the media, the fans, and the outcomes of his game. CCM proved that he truly didn't care about the media. He didn't care about the fan base's opinion about him. He was just there to do his job and more by molding these college boys into men. I have been a supporter of Cuonzo from the day he was hired and defended him from the Bruce supporters. I can admit I also got frustrated because I knew how much this team was capable of, but that is no excuse for me as a Tennessee fan. The Tennessee passion will not change, and it shouldn't, we will just have to see if Cuonzo embraces that passion or wants out. He deserves a hell of a lot more than we gave him, but thats what you get when you come to Tennessee. No matter how degenerate, delusional, and passionate about sports we may seem, we expect the best. It seems unfair, but thats the way it is going to be. I support Cuonzo and his decision either way. It was an interesting season that unfortunately got cut short, but a great season. Go Vols.

I think it's hard to compare the two. Keeping 15 kids close and confident is much easier than 85. Especially with a much lower level of pressure.

How was this season like not making a bowl in football? This basketball team made the Sweet Sixteen! That is a successful season for any basketball team. It would be like making a New Year's Day bowl in football.

The OP meant only the fact that we had to do a play-in game. That has as much, IMO, to do with the selection committee's bias as anything, but it's completely wrong to say that's like "not making a bowl". It would be like not making as good of a bowl as we thought we deserved, but Tennessee has been passed over for Florida in the Outback Bowl at least twice in the early 00s when we clearly had the better team (in the Zook years). I think that's a good analogy.

@ OP

I agree with much of what you say. I will add the following:

1. IMO a lot of the negativity was helped by Pearl still...in theory at least...being available. Pearl was probably the best bball coach in UT history (Mears MIGHT be about as good, possibly) and in addition was charismatic where Martin is stoic. Thus I am not surprised people were quick to be negative on Martin. Frankly, I don't think the national media appreciates that (IMO) the petition was far more about wanting Pearl back than it was wanting Martin gone.

2. If you slow down the end of the UM game, Stokes was TRYING to give up the ball to McRae. I think that was the plan, in fact. So those who would criticize the play call, probably don't have a leg to stand on IMO. My original impression was that Stokes tried to drive through two defenders, but in slo mo that wasn't the case. In fact, the double team was even late to develop.

3. Excellent point that the rules have been changed this year to favor the offense, and they STILL CALLED the charge in that situation. I accept that given the way Stokes lowered his shoulder, there was a justification for charging that could be made. But given that the rules favor the offense more this year, AND given that the Michigan defender CLEARLY pushes Stokes in the chest prior to the start of his dribble, the call clearly could have and perhaps should have gone the other way. But having said that, since the other defender knocked the ball out of bounds, maybe a better call was to just call the ball out of bounds...any way you slice it, it was a questionable call!

There are lots of great discussion points out right now on our b-ball program, so here's my take...

1. The end of the UM game was a joke (thanks Capt. Obvious), but I've seen a whole lot of people jump right back on the CCM-bashing bandwagon by saying that the choice to go to Stokes on the last play was "the wrong call". Give me a break. Stokes proved throughout the tourney that he's the most sure-handed player on our team. He consistently handled the ball, even putting it on the deck and driving, in the middle of double and triple teams. You go with your best odds in crunch time. McRae was miserable from the foul line, so why take the chance of putting him back there in an even higher pressure situation? Good play call by CCM. According to the rules the foul call should have been blocking. In Dec/Jan it would have been called correctly. Not sure why officiating reverted back to the "old way" all of a sudden in the tournament with no warning, but it's garbage.

2. For those saying UM was the "better team" and that we're lucky we didn't get blown out....I call b.s. UM played the game of their life and we were right there at the end with a chance to win. When the better team plays out of their mind and goes off from the 3-pt line, you get blown out, period. We didn't. Had UM had a "normal" game, IMO we would have won easily, meaning we are the better team, and I honestly believe that we are. They got hot and the shots were falling which opened driving lanes and made the offense unstoppable for a long portion of the 1st half. It wasn't our lack of defense, it was just a lucky hot streak from a team of good shooters.

3. In retrospect, this was a heckuva season. Yes, it got frustrating in Jan/Feb, but the team showed grit and character. They persevered even when a large portion of their fan base (who should be counted on to support them through even the worst of times) turned their backs on them. I believe this was all because of CCM. Great man of character and great role model and leader for those young men. Kudos to him for taking the high road and teaching them to do the same. It showed up big time in the tournament, down to the very last minutes of the final game.

4. Now, just as some predicted, CCM is likely to be recruited by some major b-ball programs (and no, UT is not a major b-ball program....yet). It's a shame to think that if our fan base had supported him the whole time, no program out there would even think they had a shot. I mean, why would a guy want to leave a place where he was supported and loved even in periods of adversity? Unfortunately, our fickle fan base (even if it is a minority, it's a very vocal minority that always gets picked up by the talking heads in the media) made sure that now we'll have to sweat it out. If CCM leaves it would be a crushing blow. I seriously hope it doesn't happen, but would completely understand if Martin chose to go elsewhere.

5. I honestly don't understand why people are already casting doubts of doom and gloom over next season. I'm personally very excited. I'd be shocked if JRich didn't surpass McRae's senior performance. Maymon held his own this year as a wily veteran, but his lack of mobility showed up big time in the tourney and getting some elite athleticism in the 4-spot like a more mature AJ Davis will be an upgrade. Barton played well at times, but a sophomore Darius Thompson is a better PG option than a senior Barton. Add in Reese and Moore, who will continue to develop and bring a veteran presence after a lot of meaningful minutes this year, plus at least some contribution from a freshman or two, and you've got a solid team. The only question mark is the 5, but if Stokes returns (which I think is a good possibility) and/or we get Rhett, I think next year's team will be better than this year's....more athletic, no loss of experience, still with an all-SEC player or two, and a more energetic defense.

Well, for those who stuck this long post out, let me know your thoughts. Here's to the inevitable lull until the O&W game, then a long and lazy summer.

Proud of our team. GoVols. #TougherBreed #VFL

Good post, I agree with you.

That last play was a "great call" by CCM! McRae was wide open and Stokes had several options. I bet if you see an overhead shot 2 or 3 players would have been in position for Tennessee to win the game!! The charge call was horrible!!!

Calling a charge on Stokes was a shame. To let that decide that game is a travesty. That official needs to explain his call.

It always happens in this tournament, the Michigans, Dukes, Ohio st.s, and Kentuckys get the calls.

I consider myself a patient person, when it comes to coaches and coaching changes. Cuonzo had almost three years to make some noise. His team appeared to be quitting on him. I especially felt this in the first Vandy game. There is no way this team was that untalented (even more obvious now).

It is easy to speak up now, but how many were speaking up then? Well?

At that time, it made perfect sense as a fan(atic) to dream of the good ole days, and Pearl. Cuonzo looked like a failed experiment, or whatever similar term you wish to use. I wanted to believe (and even predicted it on here) that they would make a run, and finally they did, but they sure waited till the last moment.

All that said, I will be happy if Cuonzo stays (especially because of his outstanding character), but there are lots of other good coaches out there. If he does go, I just hope we are willing to pay whatever it takes to get a good one.

If I was him I would bolt with a big smile on my face and a lot of green in my hands, could you blame him, people tried to run him off now he may ride to greener pastures.

Because the only thing that made the season successful was the post season. We were mediocre most of the regular season. And in football, obviously, there is no post season to redeem ourselves. Think about it... With all the talent and experience we had on this team, we needed to win a play in game just to make the field. We weren't voted one of the best 72 teams in America!

Everyone still loving on Pearl, as if we never lost a game before he got caught lying. Doesn't anyone recall the last game he coached? Against Michigan by the way. Try 75-45. Pearl did wonders but it wasn't without its ups and downs

I expect Zo will have some offers. I expect he will seriously consider them, ESPECIALLY if within the first of this coming week he's not given a raise commensurate with his W/L record relative to the other SEC coaches, and at least a 2 year extension to allow him to recruit successfully.

If he dosen't get those, he should leave. And flip a bird to 36,000 so called "fans" on the way out the door.

Everyone still loving on Pearl, as if we never lost a game before he got caught lying. Doesn't anyone recall the last game he coached? Against Michigan by the way. Try 75-45. Pearl did wonders but it wasn't without its ups and downs

I agree that the good ole days weren't usually quite as good as we remember them, but I don't think its fair to use the last game as the prime example. There were a few "distractions" going on at the time, if I remember correctly.

Because the only thing that made the season successful was the post season. We were mediocre most of the regular season. And in football, obviously, there is no post season to redeem ourselves. Think about it... With all the talent and experience we had on this team, we needed to win a play in game just to make the field. We weren't voted one of the best 72 teams in America!

UT did make the field the NCAA just didn't want to give Dayton a home game...So they put them into the first 4

UT did make the field the NCAA just didn't want to give Dayton a home game...So they put them into the first 4

Plus being in the first round is being "in the field." Play in game is a phrase not created by the NCAA.

Plus being in the first round is being "in the field." Play in game is a phrase not created by the NCAA.

The majority of the whole country feels its a play in game no matter what the ncaa calls it. Its why we had the exact same seed number as iowa....we were playing for the 11 seed.....that being said who cares.....we made the sweet sixteen.

The majority of the whole country feels its a play in game no matter what the ncaa calls it. Its why we had the exact same seed number as iowa....we were playing for the 11 seed.....that being said who cares.....we made the sweet sixteen.

Both Iowa and Tennessee had a chance to win the tournament, therefore they are in the tournament field.

Today is the first day that I've been able to read this board. I'll be rooting for KY without shame today. I don't think giving the ball to Stokes was the "wrong" call, but I don't think it was the only "right" call either and was somewhat predictable. I don't think that matters too much as teams have known that the ball was going to Stokes for sometime and it hasn't meant a hill of beans. I thought the call was, at best, a 50/50 call and when the whistle blew, I actually thought they were going to call the other player for the reach in. One of the things that troubles me (and I'm only going by my fading memory) is that CCM's teams have "bought in" but it's been later in the season than you would like. I don't blame him for leaving if he gets a better offer, but I hope he stays. Whether it's just lip service or not, I like a coach that considers character development as his most important job.

Even in the case where the coach should receive some criticism (a.k.a. motivation), our fan base took it way past the line of acceptable. That's what is embarrassing about this whole thing. There's nothing wrong with expecting success out of your coach and a very talented team, but when the team struggles a little you should increase your support and motivation, not flip on them and try to get them fired.

VN Store

Back