Without giving too much from TOS

VolsByNature

DeletedPost Record Holder
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere.

A couple of highly targeted recruits chose other schools due to the recruits and their families being aware of the petition to bring back Bruce Pearl.

Reactions: 2 people
There's some inkling that Peyton Allen committed elsewhere and Cameron Justice de-committed due to pressure on Martin and the likelihood he was going to lose his job.

I feel like this needs its own thread.

Because the administration not giving Martin an extension after last year hurt recruiting too, from what I heard.

We know for sure that his coaching philosophy cost us our biggest recruit in Austin.

Everything else is likely more fan driven. I deal with a lot of high school athletes and I've never heard one mention a coaches contract extension in regards to their recruitment.

If I hear the word 'petition' one more time...

dumber.jpg

Reactions: 7 people
surely recruits and their families took the time to completely understand the nuances in the BBB petition. Of course they did

Reactions: 5 people
We know for sure that his coaching philosophy cost us our biggest recruit in Austin.

Everything else is likely more fan driven. I deal with a lot of high school athletes and I've never heard one mention a coaches contract extension in regards to their recruitment.

Say what?

There's some inkling that Peyton Allen committed elsewhere and Cameron Justice de-committed due to pressure on Martin and the likelihood he was going to lose his job.

As most on here have mentioned Pearl was never going to get the job here - and Martin was never going to lose his job here this season - subject to some sort of cheating scandal. More than 50% of all coaches have pressure on them.

This just sounds like a lot of "inkling" to me.

I find the idea that someone wouldn't come here because of a petition pretty weak. I get the petition wasn't exactly a good thing for Martin, but because some people got carried away with it means you can't come play for Martin?

Since justice decommitted before the petition.....maybe his family is psychic?
I'm sure you're right and it has had zero effect on recruiting or morale and is just a local, message board story. Seriously, it's our passion that should be commended instead of everyone pointing out the sheer idiocy it took the create that petition.

if it had a chance to hurt UT basketball what was the point in doing it?
I find the idea that someone wouldn't come here because of a petition pretty weak. I get the petition wasn't exactly a good thing for Martin, but because some people got carried away with it means you can't come play for Martin?

the security of a coach is a big deal. Looking at a list of 35,000 names who want the coach replaced is hard to overcome

Reactions: 3 people
I'm sure you're right and it has had zero effect on recruiting or morale and is just a local, message board story. Seriously, it's our passion that should be commended instead of everyone pointing out the sheer idiocy it took the create that petition.

the security of a coach is a big deal. Looking at a list of 35,000 names who want the coach replaced is hard to overcome

Justice decommitted before the petitiin ever existed....peyton allen committed to another school the day after it was created.....it had zero effect on those two

Reactions: 7 people
Austin Nichols' father Mark said that after speaking with Martin about his offense, he didn't feel that Martin's offense was the right fit for his son.
Because I'm sure it went something like this:

MN - "So coach, what's your philosophy on the offensive side of the court?"

CCM - "Well Mark...we like to shoot the ball with pride."

MN - "Say what? That makes no sense."

CCM - "Yeah Mark...and then we play tough and aggressive."

MN - "Ok coach...thanks for your time...we're outta here!"

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

I think the AD not giving CCM a contract extension at the end of Year 2 is more of a determining factor in sending a signal on a coaches security (or lack thereof). Couple that with inconsistent play throughout most of the season, with a team that clearly has talent, added to the uncertainty, not an internet "petition". JMO.

The petition would have never accomplished what the group hoped. The only thing that effects change is empty seats game after game. Change then comes. Anything else is an exercise in futility.

The petition may have helped light a fire under the coaches and team because they looked listless and disorganized against aTm. Of course you will never hear that from them. Most fans were sick of the obvious ineptitude of the team and coaches. Up to that point that had not won more than 2 games in a row all season. Everybody knew that if it didn't happen this season it was not going to happen for awhile.

The petition very well could have hurt recruiting. It can be patched by a timely extension and raise right after the tourney ends. But the fact that it got such publicity in the media will not be forgotten by many recruits.

Zo needs to make changes in his offensive philosophy and staff if it works out that he stays. He needs to hand the reins of the O over to an accomplished offensive assistant. Even Phil Jackson knows that. Next year's team stands no chance if asked to be his preferred grind it out style. There are no experienced bruise brothers to dominate the inside and boards unless Stokes elects to come back.

VN Store

Back