A question for those who think we can run the table

1985Vols

Jarnell Stokes continues being a beast and averages 18 points and 13 rebounds through the rest of the tourney as Tennessee continues on their run and wins the National Championship. Stokes returns for his Sr. Year and continues dominating teams inside the paint and develops a deadly mid- range jump shot and is 2015 SEC POY averaging 18 points and 13 rebounds in 2015. Will his jersey hang in the rafters of TBA some day?

Jarnell Stokes continues being a beast and averages 18 points and 13 rebounds through the rest of the tourney as Tennessee continues on their run and wins the National Championship. Stokes returns for his Sr. Year and continues dominating teams inside the paint and develops a deadly mid- range jump shot and is 2015 SEC POY averaging 18 points and 13 rebounds in 2015. Will his jersey hang in the rafters of TBA some day?

If it does hang it should say Stofton on the back because both Stokes and Lofton deserve it.

Reactions: 4 people

should his NBA stock continue to rise, then he should go pro after this season. I would hate for him to remain another season, get injured or play poorly and his draft stock fall. Remember what happened to A. Foster for bleeding orange and staying for his senior season???

A knee injury or poor play from Stokes would hurt his draft status.

Him returning won't make or break us. We will have several missing pieces next season and with Maymon gone, Stokes will be double teamed an ineffective.

should his NBA stock continue to rise, then he should go pro after this season. I would hate for him to remain another season, get injured or play poorly and his draft stock fall. Remember what happened to A. Foster for bleeding orange and staying for his senior season???

Him returning won't make or break us. We will have several missing pieces next season and with Maymon gone, Stokes will be double teamed an ineffective.

Agree about the potential for injury, in the event he returns.

However, disagree that him returning wouldn't make or break us. Yes, we will have several pieces missing, but him drawing a double-team means someone is open somewhere. His #'s may drop a bit, but I can't see him returning as anything but a positive for this team.

2 of the following to have jersey retired:

1) 1st team all- American as recognized by UT media guide
2) SEC POY as recognized by IT media guide
3) play on an Olympic team
4) make an NBA (or ABA) All-Star game

Unless they have updated it recently.

Reactions: 1 person

he stayed fot the free tacos

I've always thought the guidelines were goofy.

Basketball ones are not too bad. The football ones were terrible. Conspiracy theory has it the football ones were written in such a way as to keep Majors from qualifying while allowing them to retire Peyton's.

Basketball ones are not too bad. The football ones were terrible. Conspiracy theory has it the football ones were written in such a way as to keep Majors from qualifying while allowing them to retire Peyton's.

Didn't they retire majors recently though?

If we do run the tables and he continues to play every game like he has been, there is no way he returns for a senior season. He's ranked the 5th best player in the tournament. I'm pretty sure even though that may not be every sports network rating, scouts are realizing how good he's playing. I don't think theres a way he doesn't get drafted if we win the title.

Also, I do actually believe we can win the tournament. We may not have the best players we've ever had right now, but this team has the potential to go deeper than any of bruce pearls teams because of the complete balance of play we currently have. Solid offense, great defense and not a single player not for a single minute will give less than all they have for their team. This team is special. I'm not saying we win it all, but this is the best chance we've ever had in my opinion.

Stokes has never seen a double team. That's like saying Snoop Dog has never seen a doobie.

We have potential to win it, but I think the lack of 3 point shooting or a big like Julius Randle will be our downfall. We still do not matchup that well against a big team. Remember what that white boy for Iowa did, and he aint Randle. Yes we have girth, but we still lack length.

If, and its a big if we can make a final four run or even better, and Stokes continues to play like he has in the tourney so far and keeps putting up big numbers he would be foolish to return for his senior season. If all of the above happens his draft stock will probably never be higher than it will be after this year. It will be very difficult to put up numbers like that next year, much less better them. Sure I would love to have him one more year, and I think if he does come back we have a pretty good chance to make the tourney again next year considering the way Richardson has been playing and the improvements he has made this year...add a healthy Robert Hubbs to that and hopefully an improved Thompson and we have a little shot at the SEC title next year.

Florida will lose a lot to graduation but should still be pretty good because of the recruits they have coming in. UK is projected to lose 5 players within the top 40 picks of the NBA draft, so they will lose even more but have an even better class coming in than Florida. Nevertheless, if we get Stokes back I will like the senior leadership and players this team would have next year. Problem is I just really don't see Stokes coming back with the way he is playing now and on a big stage. But who could blame him?

So IMO we will be really fighting to get a tourney bid next year and that could even be with Stokes. Without him I think we only win something like 15-18 games next year and probably in the NIT. With him I think we could win 18-22 and be fighting right on the bubble again to make the tourney, best case scenario. Next year is going to be tough any way you look at it. So he would be smart to leave imo.

Last edited:
If, and its a big if we can make a final four run or even better, and Stokes continues to play like he has in the tourney so far and keeps putting up big numbers he would be foolish to return for his senior season. If all of the above happens his draft stock will probably never be higher than it will be after this year. It will be very difficult to put up numbers like that next year, much less better them. Sure I would love to have him one more year, and I think if he does come back we have a pretty good chance to make the tourney again next year considering the way Richardson has been playing and the improvements he has made this year...add a healthy Robert Hubbs to that and hopefully an improved Thompson and we have a little shot at the SEC title next year.

Florida will lose a lot to graduation but should still be pretty good because of the recruits they have coming in. UK is projected to lose 5 players within the top 40 picks of the NBA draft, so they will lose even more but have an even better class coming in than Florida. Nevertheless, if we get Stokes back I will like the senior leadership and players this team would have next year. Problem is I just really don't see Stokes coming back with the way he is playing now and on a big stage. But who could blame him?

So IMO we will be really fighting to get a tourney bid next year and that could even be with Stokes. Without him I think we only win something like 15-18 games next year and probably in the NIT. With him I think we could win 18-22 and be fighting right on the bubble again to make the tourney, best case scenario. Next year is going to be tough any way you look at it. So he would be smart to leave imo.

He is still a projected second round pick at best. Stay another year and work on his game, especially the 15 foot jump shot and he becomes a possible first round or lottery pick next year. Plus, his girlfriend plays for the Lady Vols and is only a Jr.

He is still a projected second round pick at best. Stay another year and work on his game, especially the 15 foot jump shot and he becomes a possible first round or lottery pick next year. Plus, his girlfriend plays for the Lady Vols and is only a Jr.

Yeah he is projected as a mid to late 2nd round pick. I just think he will be projected a little higher than that after the tourney. And I don't think it will get any higher if he came back next year honestly, and could possibly hurt himself.

VN Store

Back