So, Does Martin Kiffin Us?

If ccm left Tennessee it would be nothing like when Kiffin left because job security was never questioned with Kiffin and he hated being in Tennessee. Coach Martin was basically led to the cross by Tennessee fans and media all season long. So if he chose to leave if another opportunity presented itself with more job security who could blame him? Everyone wants to be where they are wanted!

Reactions: 37 people
I think even Martin's biggest critics can agree that he has given more of himself and done more for this university than Kiffin ever dreamed. So, I don't see the comparison. Kiffin wasn't relevant at all, and is but a faint, distant memory as far I'm concerned. He will be but a footnote in the Tennessee history books.

Reactions: 16 people
Sweet 16 or 5 -7 and no bowl game? Most of you act as if making it to the sweet 16 is nothing, but you praise a coach that goes 5 - 7 and has a top ten recruiting class. I will take two NIT bids and a Sweet 16 over 5 - 7 and no bowl game anytime! You negavols need to come back down to earth.

Reactions: 9 people
Who would blame him if he did? Sometimes you get what you play for. and a large part of this fan base went off the deep end with the Bruce Pearl petitions and such. I enjoyed Pearl as our coach as much as the next guy, but I never was delusional enough to think the school would hire him back. I like Cuonzo as a coach as well. I believe he is a good recruiter, and I like the toughness his teams play with.

Reactions: 12 people
Sweet 16 or 5 -7 and no bowl game? Most of you act as if making it to the sweet 16 is nothing, but you praise a coach that goes 5 - 7 and has a top ten recruiting class. I will take two NIT bids and a Sweet 16 over 5 - 7 and no bowl game anytime! You negavols need to come back down to earth.

Kiffin went to a bowl game but still no comparison.

Reactions: 3 people
OP - nope. CCM has too much character for that. The man is about to get paid.

CCM grew as a head coach during the season. Probably would not have happened if he had not been criticized by the fans as well as the media. The CCM we all saw near half time of the Mercer game is the one we have been waiting to see. Even the game announcers were surprised to see it. He showed passion and assertiveness for his players and the game. That had been lacking for 2.5 seasons. He now makes good game decisions with his time outs and adjustments. That had been pathetic if we are honest about it. He has let games slip away with 2-4 unused TO's when they were over, that could have been used to stop a run or make adjustments or give his team a blow.

That the team woke up to his style of play is a testament to the team. There are many ways and systems to coach the game. These guys want to run. They are like 19-0 when they score 71 or more points. Tells me that McRae, Barton, Richardson and Stokes love and excel in the transition game. Duh. Adjust your system to score more points and still bring it on D. That is EXACTLY what has happened starting about 10 games ago.

So, no looking back by anybody. This 'us against the world' thing is fine if they need it for motivation. But that has not how it has been for most of us that questioned Zo's abilities. Most of us wanted him to get it and succeed. That appears to be happening now.

Reactions: 23 people
Who would blame him if he did? Sometimes you get what you play for. and a large part of this fan base went off the deep end with the Bruce Pearl petitions and such. I enjoyed Pearl as our coach as much as the next guy, but I never was delusional enough to think the school would hire him back. I like Cuonzo as a coach as well. I believe he is a good recruiter, and I like the toughness his teams play with.

I have to agree with you on this. Our fan base went way over board. They didn't even let the season get done before they got going. So if he decides to leave the fans are the ones to blame this time. It will hurt even more when he lands at a school and bring them success. Glad he's winning now and I will support whatever decision and wish him good luck with what ever decision he makes.

Reactions: 1 person
It's a profession, coaches come and go for all kinds of reasons, mostly money and contract. Coach and fan loyalty are a myth, except in very rare occasions.

Wouldn't be even remotely the same!! Our foolish fan base would be 100% responsible if he did jump!! All you MF'RS offering apologies, own it and enjoy the fruits of your ignorance GO VOLS!!!!

Idiot! If he leaves, it's because of money/contract issues, or a job in the Midwest opened up for him. I seriously doubt fans would be the reason he left. Grow up!

Reactions: 2 people
I'd be nervous if Purdue fires Matt Painter, because that would be going home for CCM. I don't think that they will this year.

Purdue also would have a big buyout for Painter since they overpaid him when he was flirting with Mizzou 3 years ago.

Last edited:
He will be offered and extension and a raise. If he goes anywhere other than purdue, it will be very disappointing!

Honestly, I don't feel one ounce of guilt for questioning Cuonzo's coaching ability this season. Leading up to the last week and a half of the season, it had been a very disappointing year. We lost to several teams we should have mopped the floor with. The fans all knew we had Sweet 16 talent on this team, so it was very frustrating to see it being squandered on another lackluster season. To Zo's credit, he did something amazing and got this team to its potential at the exact right moment. Now he is seeing how positive the fans can be if he is doing his job properly. He can feel disrespected all he wants, but he was earning the criticism that he got earlier in the season, and he is now earning all of the praise that he is getting near the end of the season. Congrats to Zo and the team. Keep rolling!

Reactions: 32 people
I'd be nervous if Purdue fires Matt Painter, because that would be going home for CCM. I don't think that they will this year.

Purdue also would have a big buyout for Painter since they overpaid him when he was flirting with Mizzou 3 years ago.

He and Painter are very good friends, and I sometimes wonder if Martin would feel conflicted replacing MP if he were fired.

Couldn't blame him for doing so. We've been pretty terrible to him.

Aside from the petition, I don't think that's true, and that would have never happened if at the time Martin's team was drastically underachieving in a make or break year. When you've lost twice to a horrible aTm team and a Vandy team that barely had enough scholarship players for a starting 5, the criticisms are totally justified. Two months ago there wasn't even a hint that a tourney bid, much less a Sweet 16 run was on the horizon.

Reactions: 6 people
That hug from Dave Hart after the game. Real emotions there

As a side note, I also really like how all of the coaches promote the AD as a whole. For example, Butch and Serrano giving about outs to the basketball teams (men and women). It seems like everyone is on the same page trying to get the AD back on track and winning in every sport.

VN Store

Back