why do we no longer host NCAA games?

captain chaos

Last time we did was 1999. Hotel space has increased, the arena is much nicer and downtown Knoxville is a place worthy of dallying in the night life. I want to know why?

Scratch that. Not sure what I was thinking. My goodness, we just played on Dayton's home court earlier this week. Oops!

Reactions: 1 person
I am pretty sure the city/university have to bid on being a host site and they may have either not bid or not won when they tried. It may in all honesty have to do with trying to coordinate between the Women's tournament and the Men's.

I am pretty sure the city/university have to bid on being a host site and they may have either not bid or not won when they tried. It may in all honesty have to do with trying to coordinate between the Women's tournament and the Men's.

There are places that host both. It doesn't make a difference

We have hosted regional finals before. By that time the lady vols are gone. I'm wondering if its maybe because the university doesn't profit, the NCAA does? It would be great for the city though. I remember coming home from Spring break in 99 and going to see st johns and osu. Good times

At Tennessee the only basketball that has ever been consistent at not sucking is ????? To not be real they could have prob beat a couple of the men's teams we have put on the court!

No they couldn't have. Get out of here with that.

No disrespect to our women's teams, but no.

Reactions: 2 people
I'd love to se a women's team finally play a men's team to end this silly argument. It would be a slaughter fest

We have hosted regional finals before. By that time the lady vols are gone. I'm wondering if its maybe because the university doesn't profit, the NCAA does? It would be great for the city though. I remember coming home from Spring break in 99 and going to see st johns and osu. Good times

I went to that game . They had a really good turn out and a great atmosphere. I enjoyed it much with quite a few interested locals on hand.

The southeastern area games almost always go to Greensboro, Charlotte, Raleigh etc... so Duke can play close to home regardless of their ranking

They no longer play in any venue that is a home court for an NCAA institution.

They don't host at on campus home courts. Rupp, Freedom Hall, Yum Center and PNC (Raleigh) have all hosted. But they're owned by the city and not the universities.

Outside of DU Arena.

Last edited:
They don't host at on campus home courts. Rupp, Freedom Hall, Yum Center and PNC (Raleigh) have all hosted. But they're owned by the city and not the universities.

Outside of DU Arena.

What is the status of TBA? I think it was partially funded by the city for the rights to host concerts, conventions, etc., was it not? But it is technically on campus, so I'm not sure what the status is with the city in terms of who has ownership rights.

Anyone know for sure?

Outside of DU Arena.

The games in San Diego are at the Viegas Center which is located in the middle of SDSU's campus and is owned and operated by the university.

VN Store

Back