Mercer Backup Center Monty Brown Out

Backwards K

ESPN's Rachel Nichols tweeted that Mercer center Monty Brown will miss tomorrow's game with a concussion suffered in the Duke game. He is staying in a dark room and does not remember the Duke game.

Reactions: 3 people
Wow that sucks for him. At least he'll have the tape to see what happened but not being able to remember an experience like that would blow.

Obviously good for the vols though.

Only played 10mpg, but it's huge as far as depth. Coursey is very good, but now there's nobody behind him, get his a$$ in foul trouble.

Reactions: 5 people
what if it were one of ours. Cuonzo would want our fans to be considerate. Bad break for Mercer. Iowa State lost one of their best players to a foot fracture. We have been fortunate with our starters. Let's hope our luck lasts. I cringe every time Maymon hits the deck!

Reactions: 10 people
I hate to beat an opponent that is not at full strength; but at this point I will take any kind of win. The last few years have been tough on us. Feed the post. Give it to Stokes and Maymon all night long!

Reactions: 1 person
what if it were one of ours. Cuonzo would want our fans to be considerate. Bad break for Mercer. Iowa State lost one of their best players to a foot fracture. We have been fortunate with our starters. Let's hope our luck lasts. I cringe every time Maymon hits the deck!

Iowa state was a sleeper final 4 team IMO

That injury is just brutal

Wow that sucks for him. At least he'll have the tape to see what happened but not being able to remember an experience like that would blow.

Obviously good for the vols though.

Or, well, the possibility of damage to one's brain might also blow.

Only played 10mpg, but it's huge as far as depth. Coursey is very good, but now there's nobody behind him, get his a$$ in foul trouble.

Definitely a big problem for Mercer. Coursey is very apt to get in foul trouble (he had 4 yesterday by the 7:00 mark and had to be protected by offense/defense substitution the rest of the way). I also have no doubt though that Bob Hoffman will scheme around it and probably was going to play a ton of zone anyway.

All the more reason for us to run offense through Stokes and not fall into the trap Duke did of jacking up 3s all day like it was a preseason game.

Reactions: 2 people
That sucks. Sounds like a pretty bad one. Best wishes to the young man.

Sounds pretty rough. Seeing stuff on Facebook from people in Raleigh and just heard on CBS that they're confining Brown to a dark hotel room right now.

This could be big. Mercer does not have a lot of bodies and fouls to give to stop Stokes.

they have nobody over 220 to bang with stokes and maymon. they have some tall guys but their really skinny 195-200lbs guys at 6'9, 6'10, and 6'6. we should absolutely hammer them in the paint. duke plays the type of style they like to play....we dont.

Knock on wood, but when's the last time either of our bigs got in foul trouble? That's a part of Stokes game that has gone unnoticed, he was in foul trouble a lot last year.

Reactions: 7 people
If we do what we do best; play through the post, put the ball on the rim and go get it, and play defense, Mercer will have nothing for us. If we bail them out by not challenging them physically and let them hang around the way Duke did . . .

So that leaves Mercer with the following options against Stokes and Maymon.

Daniel Coursey: 6'10 - 220
T.J. Hallice: 6'9 205

I can see them going small and making Maymon match up with a smaller player on defense. Luckily Maymon moves his feet pretty well.

I can see them going small and making Maymon match up with a smaller player on defense. Luckily Maymon moves his feet pretty well.

That's when you'll see Moore and Reese, which is fine. Let Stokes go 1 on 1 with Coursey, I like his chances to either score or get fouled.

220lbs at 6'10 is really thin. that kid will get beasted all day if we play through our bigs like we should

Definitely a big problem for Mercer. Coursey is very apt to get in foul trouble (he had 4 yesterday by the 7:00 mark and had to be protected by offense/defense substitution the rest of the way). I also have no doubt though that Bob Hoffman will scheme around it and probably was going to play a ton of zone anyway.

All the more reason for us to run offense through Stokes and not fall into the trap Duke did of jacking up 3s all day like it was a preseason game.

get it to Stokes everytime down with @ 20 seconds on the shot clock and the offense will flow.
I bet Mercer plays a ton of zone, but the middle will still be open and Stokes should be able to face up and shoot or take it to the rim left or right.
His scoring % when he faces up and has a couple of dribbles and steps to take has to be really high.

If we do what we do best; play through the post, put the ball on the rim and go get it, and play defense, Mercer will have nothing for us. If we bail them out by not challenging them physically and let them hang around the way Duke did . . .

I watched Duke play several times this year. They are soft at almost every position. Parker was the team leader as an 18 year old freshman. When you tested Duke's will and didn't let them get out and run they were beatable. U.T. will not let Mercer play that sort of game.

get it to Stokes everytime down with @ 20 seconds on the shot clock and the offense will flow.
I bet Mercer plays a ton of zone, but the middle will still be open and Stokes should be able to face up and shoot or take it to the rim left or right.
His scoring % when he faces up and has a couple of dribbles and steps to take has to be really high.

Yes to all of this. Don't put Stokes on the low block where he gets doubled. Get him the ball at the elbow and let him go off the bounce and create havoc.

VN Store

Back