Iowa coach just gave huge props to Cuonzo and the UT players on ESPN

1985Vols

He said after the game each player came up and gave him a hug and said they were thinking about him ( because of his son) He went on to say he admires Cuonzo and the program he runs. I am as guilty as everyone in stating my displeasure at times with his coaching, but there is no way we could ever have a better person coaching our team.

Reactions: 69 people
Iowa coach Fran McCaffery's post game quotes, "I want to congratulate Tennessee on a great season and a great game. Cuonzo exhibited an unbelievable amount of class. I don't know him that well, but the way he responded to my personal situation. And then after the game, to have the Tennessee players hug me and tell me that they are thinking about me. You know, most kids just want to run and jump on top of each other in the locker room. I was really impressed with those guys and the program that Cuonzo has built there."

Reactions: 38 people
Cuonzo is a great human being. UT could not have picked a more class individual to run it's basketball program.

Cuonzo has been a head coach for what, five plus years now? He is still learning and growing as a coach. I hope he has a good run in this tournament and continues that growth process.

Reactions: 15 people
I can completely understand not thinking highly of Cuonzo's coaching ability, but his character is almost unparalleled. He has been nothing but classy in a very pressure-filled situation.

Reactions: 19 people
Coach mccaffery is a class act he was genuinely impressed with our players and coaches. As we all as Vols should be, Go Big Orange! Beat UMASS's azz!

Reactions: 2 people
I can completely understand not thinking highly of Cuonzo's coaching ability, but his character is almost unparalleled. He has been nothing but classy in a very pressure-filled situation.

Unless we all forgot, that's was the main reason we hired him after the Pearl debacle.

Reactions: 3 people
Coach mccaffery is a class act he was genuinely impressed with our players and coaches. As we all as Vols should be, Go Big Orange! Beat UMASS's azz!

I was sitting behind Iowa's bench. He had a potty mouth on him and yelled at his trainer to work on a player who he was already working on. Iowa fans beside me said he just yells and throws stuff all the time.

Reactions: 1 person
Unless we all forgot, that's was the main reason we hired him after the Pearl debacle.

He was the Anti Pearl character wise. He was still raw as a head coach, which means his best coaching is still in front of him. I guarantee he isn't going to be out worked.

I've always thought Martin was a good guy.Not a very good coach.But I guess he can learn to be.My biggest thing the past 3 yrs was consistency. Slow start at the beginning of the year, finally playing like they should at the end of the year.Good coaches have their teams playing consistently the whole year.Not saying win every game, but definitely not losing 3-4 games you shouldn't. But congrats to Martin and the players, finally gritted out a close win and hit their Ft's.Didn't realize he's only been coaching 5 yrs.Maybe there's hope for him yet.But let's see what happens next year.

What could he learn from you?

Edit: the post this is referring to has disappeared.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0[/youtube]

Last edited:
He said after the game each player came up and gave him a hug and said they were thinking about him ( because of his son) He went on to say he admires Cuonzo and the program he runs. I am as guilty as everyone in stating my displeasure at times with his coaching, but there is no way we could ever have a better person coaching our team.

Well, that just impresses me even more about Cuonzo, the program he's trying to run and the kids he's bringing in. That just says a whole lot.

I could understand and would even listen to a report about his shortcomings as a coach from another coach. One that's been around. Cuonzo might even break out the pen and notebook on that to. But I'm not hearing that from any of them. This board has no coaches. Just people who think or claim they are. I would not lose a second of sleep over what is said on this board if I was Cuonzo Martin.

Reactions: 4 people
bravo-zulu.jpg

As a sucker for these feel good kind of stories that includes to show compassion for people this is damn good.

I was sitting behind Iowa's bench. He had a potty mouth on him and yelled at his trainer to work on a player who he was already working on. Iowa fans beside me said he just yells and throws stuff all the time.

I was really referring to his comments after the game.

I could understand and would even listen to a report about his shortcomings as a coach from another coach. One that's been around. Cuonzo might even break out the pen and notebook on that to. But I'm not hearing that from any of them. This board has no coaches. Just people who think or claim they are. I would not lose a second of sleep over what is said on this board if I was Cuonzo Martin.

Damn! Well said my friend! Go Vols!

And on top of all that...HE EFFING LOST man :blink:
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Nah...you got dis :aggressive:
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I've always thought Martin was a good guy.Not a very good coach.But I guess he can learn to be.My biggest thing the past 3 yrs was consistency. Slow start at the beginning of the year, finally playing like they should at the end of the year.Good coaches have their teams playing consistently the whole year.Not saying win every game, but definitely not losing 3-4 games you shouldn't. But congrats to Martin and the players, finally gritted out a close win and hit their Ft's.Didn't realize he's only been coaching 5 yrs.Maybe there's hope for him yet.But let's see what happens next year.

You should learn to put a space between sentences.

Coach Martin does not know this board exists, he sleeps better than anyone, sometimes it seems on the sideline, but he is an awesome human being

He's a hothead on the court for sure. Very much the opposite of CCM in that regard. He's a really good coach though, and Iowa will succeed on his watch.

I only understand the U.S. flag and a checkered flag so I will bite...WTH?

They are nautical alphabet flags. Bravo(B) Zulu (Z) are shown in the image.

Bravo Zulu is a naval signal, typically conveyed by flaghoist or voice radio, meaning "Well Done"; in addition to U.S. naval forces, it has also been used as part of vernacular slang within NATO and other Allied naval forces.

VN Store

Back