Las Vegas odds make clear our underseed

therealitytheory

We were one of the last at-large teams in the field yet Vegas says the committee sold us short.

We are in with a group of 6-9 seeds with odds of 100-1 to win the tournament. Whereas UMass is a 6 seed and they are at 200-1. Kansas State is a 9 seed at 300-1. Arizona St and St Josephs are 10 seeds at 300-1. George Washington is a 9 seed at 500-1, and BYU is a 10 seed at 500-1 (Nebraska and Colorado are both 500-1).

So apparently the winner of the TN/IA game will be the favorite against UMass...what's wrong with this picture..

Reactions: 2 people
I think there's some shenanigans. The selection committee can't be that clueless

These odds basically suggest that the committee is less concerned with how good a team actually is than whether it can create interesting matchups, when seeding.

Reactions: 1 person
We were one of the last at-large teams in the field yet Vegas says the committee sold us short.

We are in with a group of 6-9 seeds with odds of 100-1 to win the tournament. Whereas UMass is a 6 seed and they are at 200-1. Kansas State is a 9 seed at 300-1. Arizona St and St Josephs are 10 seeds at 300-1. George Washington is a 9 seed at 500-1, and BYU is a 10 seed at 500-1 (Nebraska and Colorado are both 500-1).

So apparently the winner of the TN/IA game will be the favorite against UMass...what's wrong with this picture..

Btw, those are the odds in our current situation. Had we not been in a "first four" game, our odds would have been better

Btw, those are the odds in our current situation. Had we not been in a "first four" game, our odds would have been better

Exactly.

Plus, we are supposedly in the toughest overall bracket at 100-1 to win it all. Whereas BYU and Nebraska are arguably in the easiest bracket (West) and they each come in at 500-1? Wth?

And we're favored by 1 against Iowa

According to Vegas Iowa is 100-1, same as us. So they have every right to ***** about UMass, Nebraska, BYU, Colorado, St Joes, KSU, Ariz St, and Stanford being favored by the commitee at their expense too.

Plus the hawkeyes BPI is in the 20s.

I am really surprised that Vegas gave us that good of odds. Not because I disagree that we are underseeded, but because the path that we will have to travel to go anywhere in our region.

We have 4 #1 seeds in our bracket. Many people thought Michigan the #2 seed would have gooten the last #1 over Virginia. A lot of people had Louisville (reigning champ) who is the #4 a #2 seed and a very high one at that and Duke is the #3 seed who was battling for the last #1 seed as well. And Witchita State speaks for themselves as the #1 seed.

Our path to the Final 4 may be as Follows:

#11 Iowa (probably shouldn't be in the field with their recent play)
#6 UMass
#3 Duke (undersseded)
#2 Michigan (underseeded)
#1 Witchita State

We are in the bracket of death, for Vegas to still give us good odds is astonishing...

Last edited:
I am really surprised that Vegas gave us that good of odds. Not because I disagree that we are underseeded, but because the path that we will have to travel to go anywhere in our region.

We have 4 #1 seeds in our bracket. Many people thought Michigan the #2 seed would have gooten the last #1 over Virginia. A lot of people had Louisville (reigning champ) who is the #4 a #2 seed and a very high one at that and Duke is the #3 seed who was battling for the last #1 seed as well. And Witchita State speaks for themselves as the #1 seed.

Our path to the Final 4 may be as Follows:

#11 Iowa (probably shouldn't be in the field with their recent play)
#6 UMass
#3 Duke (undersseded)
#2 Michigan (underseeded)
#1 Witchita State

We are in the bracket of death, for Vegas to still give us good odds is astonishing...

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think we got the easiest of the 1,2,3 seeds. Wichita State would definitely be my choice, Michigan has been playing lousy, and Duke is vulnerable inside.

I think we could've gotten much tougher draws, but jmo

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think we got the easiest of the 1,2,3 seeds. Wichita State would definitely be my choice, Michigan has been playing lousy, and Duke is vulnerable inside.

Let's take care of Iowa then we can dream :)

I don't disagree, but speaking from a bracketology and Vegas perspective we got the short stick.

Wichita State will not make it to the Sweet 16 imo...

Michigan will lose to the winner of the Duke/Tennessee game.

Louisville will make it to the Elite 8 and Face the winner of the Duke/Tennessee matchup...jmo

This bracket has a lot the look of last year's Gonzaga bracket.

My suspicion is that they swapped our line with Dayton, to avoid them playing in the "first round" (play-in) game on their home court.

I don't think we were underseeded. Too many poor losses and not enough great wins to really complain about it. According to some computer rankings we should be much better, but for whatever reason it didn't really transfer to on the court play. Just recently we were 17th in a projected ranking, but 57th in the actual results.

I feel like Iowa or UMass could beat us, but that we could go to the elite 8. You just never know with this team. Just have to hope the shots are falling outside and the games aren't close.

Odds makers try to make things look better than they are in reality so they can get you to bet. It's nothing more or nothing less than that.

SEC got little love. Kentucky at an 8 seed could really be a bracket buster. Just MO but I was concerned if we didn't get Arkansas in the SEC And had a lower seed win it could be touch and go if we made the NCAA tournament. It is what it is now. If Vols get by Iowa I think they can make a run. I like UMass and Duke match ups. If they got Duke on a cold shooting night it might look like Virginia 2.0. GBO.

My suspicion is that they swapped our line with Dayton, to avoid them playing in the "first round" (play-in) game on their home court.

I think most bracketogolist agree with this...its really the only explanation for how this fell...

VN Store

Back