Put up or Shut up Time for Coach Martin

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
Realistically what I'm hearing is Iowa has been on a losing streak, we have been winning, UMass does not belong at a 6 seed. I think we win two and can beat Dukie, based on Virginia win and our drilling of Virginia. When former Vandy players and coach are pretty much predicting at least two wins as much as we dislike one another, ALL the marbles may be on the line for Coach Martin.

Tennessean columnist David Climber said in the paper today that CCM needs two wins to secure his job. I don't know how much stock to put in that, but it is out there. Of course there are those in here that feel that CCM is secure for at least one more year, maybe they are correct. We shall see. I just want the Vols to be successful.

At this point it's Elite 8 or gtfo for me. He's an OK coach...but that's not going to get us a banner in the gym.

He is probably here no matter what happens but one win will secure his job. We are not paying top dollar for another coach, Pearl likely isnt coming, and we dont need another up and comer. As long as no extension is given, next years buyout is lower and next years team is all Martin's. At that point if he doesnt get the job done, then he will be fired. Hopefully the football team will be in better shape than the past and some more money will roll in. Coaching prospects will see that we gave Martin every chance to be successful.

Reactions: 1 person
Because that was 2010, this is 2014. We don't have the same team as we did in 2010.

We have just as much talent on our team now as we did in 2010, so I'm not buying that. It boils down to coaching. Ex., the Lady Vols.

He is probably here no matter what happens but one win will secure his job. We are not paying top dollar for another coach, Pearl likely isnt coming, and we dont need another up and comer. As long as no extension is given, next years buyout is lower and next years team is all Martin's. At that point if he doesnt get the job done, then he will be fired. Hopefully the football team will be in better shape than the past and some more money will roll in. Coaching prospects will see that we gave Martin every chance to be successful.

This, sadly, is the likely reality. If Hart had the huevos he would go ahead and #BringBackBruce.

We have just as much talent on our team now as we did in 2010, so I'm not buying that. It boils down to coaching. Ex., the Lady Vols.

We have been to the elite 8 one time ever! Come on that is not realistic, 2 wins would be good and 3 to get in the sweet 16 would be great. Like I said before I think he is safe no matter what happens though.

Reactions: 2 people
This is setting up for a good laugh if we make the sweet 16 or even rd of 32. A sad little laugh where CCM moves to a Big10 job for a 50% raise, and then laughs as VN panics and blames Dave Hart when our top 15 candidates won't even interview for the job he just vacated and we end up with the coach of the 3d best NIT qualifier from the mountain west.

Reactions: 5 people
Cool, let's all just agree to be losers then. That sound like a plan? I mean...if aiming for the ELITE 8 is sooooooooo unrealistic, then why play the f****** game at all?

Hell, my stance has changed. Let's keep Zo for 20 more years. Maybe call Dooley and get him back on the football staff? How about a 3rd term for Obama? I mean...since everyone is cool with being a loser....

Reactions: 6 people
This is setting up for a good laugh if we make the sweet 16 or even rd of 32. A sad little laugh where CCM moves to a Big10 job for a 50% raise, and then laughs as VN panics and blames Dave Hart when our top 15 candidates won't even interview for the job he just vacated and we end up with the coach of the 3d best NIT qualifier from the mountain west.

We all pray that happens....then they'd HAVE to call Bruce!

Cool, let's all just agree to be losers then. That sound like a plan? I mean...if aiming for the ELITE 8 is sooooooooo unrealistic, then why play the f****** game at all?

Hell, my stance has changed. Let's keep Zo for 20 more years. Maybe call Dooley and get him back on the football staff? How about a 3rd term for Obama? I mean...since everyone is cool with being a loser....

UT has played one E8 game in its entire bball history. Making that a requirement for a UT bball coach is idiotic (and that's being nice)

Reactions: 8 people

If you want to be a loser, it's a lot easier than what you are describing. Just fire a 60 win coach after three yrs on the job. Whammies. Your program won't be able to attract even medium flight coaching or players for a decade.

UT has played one E8 game in its entire bball history. Making that a requirement for a UT bball coach is idiotic (and that's being nice)

Well, when you make hires like Buzz Peterson and Cuonzo Martin....succeeding isn't likely.

We all pray that happens....then they'd HAVE to call Bruce!

What you can't seem to grasp is even if we are on our 18th choice Bruce will never even get a phone interview. You sound like one of those people who think Ron Paul could have been president. No amount of actual facts will get in the way of your pipe dream opinion.

Everything in sports is REALISTIC....that's why you play the game. Bruce had us in the Elite 8, so why lower expectations now? Like OP said, put up or shut up.

Bruce got to the Elite 8 in his 5th year though. He also only got to the S16 with his best team recordwise. He got thumped his last year. Where were all these lofty expectations then?

Reactions: 2 people
What you can't seem to grasp is even if we are on our 18th choice Bruce will never even get a phone interview. You sound like one of those people who think Ron Paul could have been president. No amount of actual facts will get in the way of your pipe dream opinion.

It wasn't I that started a petition, and it wasn't I who signed it 35,000 times. Therefore, it's obviously not MY pipe dream.

Answer this: Pearl or Martin. Who would you choose?

Bruce got to the Elite 8 in his 5th year though. He also only got to the S16 with his best team recordwise. He got thumped his last year. Where were all these lofty expectations then?

When he beat the number 1 team in the nation after losing like 7 players on scholarship. That was UNREALISTIC, but Bruce made it a REALITY.

Call for the coaches head all you want. He'll be back next year and if he is fired he won't have a problem finding a Job. You have to understand UT isn't a Basketball school and Pearl success wasn't the norm.

Call for the coaches head all you want. He'll be back next year and if he is fired he won't have a problem finding a Job. You have to understand UT isn't a Basketball school and Pearl success wasn't the norm.

Not a "basketball school" but yet have the greatest women's basketball program of all time. Makes sense...

VN Store

Back