How big is the 41 hour time between games?

SeniorDrill

Tennessee plays a tough Iowa team at 9:10 PM in Dayton, Ohio. They are now preparing for that game. 41 hours later, if they win, they play UMass at 2:45 PM on Friday. UMass will be in Raleigh, NC watching that game. They will start preparing for us on Thursday. We will be traveling from Dayton to Raleigh on Thursday and have very little time to prepare for them on Friday. Chances are if we beat Iowa the team will be stoked and get very little sleep between those two games. So, my question is, how much of a disadvantage is it getting stuck in that play in game? Tennessee's RPI was 41, Iowa's 54. The three teams that bumped Tennessee out of the regular field with higher RPI's were Dayton - 43, Arizona State - 44, and Nebraska -46.

My opinion is that the turnaround would be beneficial IF not for the travel aspect.

I think playing 2 games on a quick turnaround doesn't create much fatigue, but rather helps you get into a good basketball rhythm and you usually see the team that had the short turnaround start the game much stronger.

That is when travel is NOT an issue though.

It helped an awful USC team get a win over a decent Arkansas team. Some will tell you that getting one game in before the other team helps set a good rhythm. I don't think fatigue will be a problem if we take care of Iowa.

Keep in mind these are kids. They'll be fine from a fatigue standpoint. With that said, the play-in game against Iowa is a good thing IMO.

If UT gets past that one they've knocked the tournament jitters out of the way.

Didn't Florida just win 3 games in 3 days? I agree with SDV above, worry about winning the first game first.

We really need Moore, Reese, and Thompson to step up because we are going to need or bench.

The fatigue probably won't be a big deal and from a scouting perspective...I am sure there have already been a couple of assistants breaking down film and working on scouting reports for both Iowa and UMass. Therefore, they won't be behind if/when TN wins on Wednesday.

The Friday game wont matter, but if we win the game , then the Sunday game is when it will show no legs in the second half, I hope we got that problem because that would mean we would have won the first 2, somehow if we could blow the first 2 teams away then rest the starters.

I'm concerned to be honest, and it's the main reason I'm upset that we were placed in the play-in game. I remember last year when Memphis played St. Mary's after SMU won their play-in, and the travel/fatigue definitely seemed to play a factor in that game.

I hate to say this, and I hope that I am wrong, but I don't see this team going very far in the tournament. The reason that I say this is that this team has shown no ability to win close games. The teams that make it very far always have to pull out some close wins.

I think that we have the ability to play with really good teams, and embarrass mediocre ones, but down the stretch with the game on the line, this team will have to change what they have been doing in order to win. Outside of Barton hitting a shot that didn't count at A&M, we haven't shown much of a resolve to win at the end of a close game. We play with them for 38 minutes, instead of 40.

VN Store

Back