Nebraska needs explained

GetEmVols

I am thrilled to have a chance to make the tournament... But...

I need someone to explain how nebraska 19-12 got in over a 21-12 Tennessee team. I just looked at both teams RPI and SOS's and we are better in those categories as well. Our resume seems better, what am I missing?

Go vols and beat Iowa!

Reactions: 2 people
I personally think it had to do with the "rules" of the seeding. If you take, Nebraska, Iowa, Xavier, Providence,Dayton and TN to be considered as 11 seeds, you are faced on how to match them up.

On paper you'd have to put TN as the favorite of course...but I think this is what happened.

Providence CAN"T be considered as a play in team.
Dayton COULD have been but the committee didn't want to give them home advantage.

That leaves Nebraska, Iowa, Xavier, and TN as the left overs.

Nebraska and Iowa were in the same conference. Overall - Nebraska has a better conference record, so would have an edge.

They probably placed it like this at first:

TN
NEB
Iowa
Xavier

TN and Xavier played each other. And by rule, they couldn't have been matched up together in tourney.

Same as Nebraska and Iowa. They can't be paired up.

And even Iowa and Xavier. They had already played.

They could of paired it like Nebraska vs Xavier and TN vs Iowa.

But they considered TN, Nebraska, and Iowa as better 11 seeds based on the conference. Power schools. and toss Xavier in the mix into a 12th seed.

Nebraska and Iowa can't play each other based on rules and leaves TN as the the one that's tossed in the Play-In game.

It could have been TN vs Neb or TN vs Iowa now...

But because Nebraska was higher in Big TEN they get the better bid.

-----

That's just how I viewed.

Reactions: 4 people
Throw in K St too. They win 20 and are a 9 seed. Mizzou wins 22 games and is in the NIT. Several questionable other teams in as well that didn't win their conference. I don't get it.

The B12 got a lot of love even though they don't play much defense. The B10 is considered the best conference in basketball even though they've won just 1 title in like 20 years?

The committee wants to punish the SEC because we are so good in football & of course their Precious Big 10 has to have preference. Mizzou would be in if they had of gone to the Big 10 over the SEC

nebraska is in a better league and beat someone in the last 3 months.

that's the mean, blunt version.

I need someone to explain how nebraska 19-12 got in over a 21-12 Tennessee team. I just looked at both teams RPI and SOS's and we are better in those categories as well. Our resume seems better, what am I missing?

Go vols and beat Iowa!

Minnesota may be asking the same thing

Look at our quality win total. Virginia and Xavier. That's all we have, unless you want to start including teams like Missouri who were decent wins for us but who did not make the tourney.

Go vols and beat Iowa!

Didn't Nebraska actually beat a ranked team and win some close games. I am perfectly fine with our spot because we have shown we can't win close games where other teams that we complain about have won close games. This is our weakest resume in Martin's three years. Shouldn't reward teams that can't win close games. Why would you want a team that hasn't proved itself in close games as a definite tourney bid. Play in game makes the team nut up or shut up to prove they belong in the NCAA Tournament.

Didn't Nebraska actually beat a ranked team and win some close games. I am perfectly fine with our spot because we have shown we can't win close games where other teams that we complain about have won close games. This is our weakest resume in Martin's three years. Shouldn't reward teams that can't win close games. Why would you want a team that hasn't proved itself in close games as a definite tourney bid. Play in game makes the team nut up or shut up to prove they belong in the NCAA Tournament.
We beat a one seed by 35. However, it doesn't matter now. Play the games you're assigned and win. It's that simple.

It doesnt really matter how you break it down. At this point. You just toss it up and play. Cant avoid anyone unless they lose or Tennessee does. Now lets win this thing and shut them all up.

Look at our quality win total. Virginia and Xavier. That's all we have, unless you want to start including teams like Missouri who were decent wins for us but who did not make the tourney.

At the end of the day I have to think this is what hurt us most

I am sure several things were in play:

- BYU couldn't play on Sunday's, so they couldn't play in the First Four games because that could end up in a Sunday game.
- I saw this one coming and even stated it this past weekend. The committee didn't want to put Dayton at home in the First Four. They avoided that.
- UT has already played NC State and Xavier and wanted to avoid a rematch. There is no rule on non-conference teams playing again. Oregon and BYU are playing for the second time this year.
- I am pretty sure that Wellman said that Providence was out until they won the Big East Tournament, so that bumped them past the First Four.

Just some crazy things. Some things not having to do with basketball. I am excited to see us play a good matchup, but I still believe we were better than a First Four game. We should have been one of the last "bye" teams based on resume.

Providence is what really hosed us, they don't win the big east and we aren't in a play in game.

Thanks creighton.

You guys need to understand that it does not come down to the team in these situations, but rather the conference you play in. Just like football, in which SEC teams get a bump for playing in the league, the same is true of basketball and the Big Ten. The Big Ten is a much tougher league and the teams that survive it get a greater reward at the end than, say an SEC team. I love UT, but There is no way this team finished .500 in the Big Ten. Irregardless of how they may be playing right now, they would not have been as successful in a brutal league like the Big Ten.

VN Store

Back