Dino Gaudio of ESPN just said...

7maxims

UT is his "upset" pick to beat UMass after getting past Iowa , and added that the Vols should have been an 11 seed, "no way" should they be in the play-in game.

Reactions: 8 people
Can someone please explain to me why an 11 seed is in a play in game? I thought those were for outside teams playing to be a 16 seed?

Reactions: 5 people
He also said he believes the committee switched us with dayton so they wouldnt have the advantage of playing a home game in round one.

I love our bracket. I think we beat Iowa, beat UMass and give Doook a hell of a ride before falling just short of the Sweet 16. That would be pretty good and would earn Coach Martin a contract extension. Face it, We love Bruce, but he is NOT going to coach at UT again, ever.

Reactions: 2 people
The selection committee was able to see through the Cuonzo smokescreen.
They know he's not the type of coach who's apt to do well in the tournament.

Reactions: 2 people
I love our bracket. I think we beat Iowa, beat UMass and give Doook a hell of a ride before falling just short of the Sweet 16. That would be pretty good and would earn Coach Martin a contract extension. Face it, We love Bruce, but he is NOT going to coach at UT again, ever.

35,000 fans signing a petition gets some serious attention from those in charge. That's a lot of ticket sales, and a lot of $$$. And incase you haven't noticed...$$$ makes the world go around. Pearl is a proven winner and IS going to get a coaching job in August. So hire him and return to prominence, or let your opponent. My vote is that we take him and win a championship.

Reactions: 10 people

Let's f'n hope not.

An extra year would be bad enough. If he gets a contract extension for beating Iowa(lost 6 of their last 7) and UMass, fml.

Tennessee went on a nice run at the end of the season but if beating Iowa and UMass gets him an extension, yuck.

14-19 Miss St
15-16 Vanderbilt
14-16 Auburn
22-11 Missouri
14-20 South Carolina

Seriously... this is the run everyone is excited about? A play in game because of 5 wins to finish out the season. 4 of which were against below .500 teams. Amaaaaaaaaazing! Add in (potentially) beating Iowa who has lost 6 of their last 7 and UMass, and you think it's worth of an extension? An extra year, MAYBE. But an extension? Wow. Then we really can't afford to buy him out of if he continues sucking.

I can't believe anyone is actually impressed by any of those wins other than Missouri or that anyone is impressed by barely getting into the tournament. If Tennessee loses to Iowa, you'll know Martin is a bad coach. Tennessee has far more talent, so a loss means Martin was outcoached. Which, wouldn't surprise me because Fran is a better coach.

Reactions: 18 people
35,000 fans signing a petition gets some serious attention from those in charge. That's a lot of ticket sales, and a lot of $$$. And incase you haven't noticed...$$$ makes the world go around. Pearl is a proven winner and IS going to get a coaching job in August. So hire him and return to prominence, or let your opponent. My vote is that we take him and win a championship.

You have no idea how the politics of this sort of deal work if you think rehiring BP is even remotely possible. If the university hires Pearl and he screws up again, the AD or president is to blame (fool me twice...) and goes down with the ship. If UT hires Pearl and Pearl behaves himself and wins, Pearl gets all the credit and the AD/president gets none. Ergo..There's no upside for the administrators to take this risk. Only downside. For this reason, this deal ain't happening. Ever. It'd be far better for the admin to hire the next polite and safe CCM than a renegade like pearl, in the eyes of the admin. Universities are always getting sued and so they are way too risk averse to even contemplate such a thing.

Reactions: 1 person
Let's f'n hope not.

An extra year would be bad enough. If he gets a contract extension for beating Iowa(lost 6 of their last 7) and UMass, fml.

Tennessee went on a nice run at the end of the season but if beating Iowa and UMass gets him an extension, yuck.

14-19 Miss St
15-16 Vanderbilt
14-16 Auburn
22-11 Missouri
14-20 South Carolina

Seriously... this is the run everyone is excited about? A play in game because of 5 wins to finish out the season. 4 of which were against below .500 teams. Amaaaaaaaaazing! Add in (potentially) beating Iowa who has lost 6 of their last 7 and UMass, and you think it's worth of an extension? An extra year, MAYBE. But an extension? Wow. Then we really can't afford to buy him out of if he continues sucking.

I can't believe anyone is actually impressed by any of those wins other than Missouri or that anyone is impressed by barely getting into the tournament. If Tennessee loses to Iowa, you'll know Martin is a bad coach. Tennessee has far more talent, so a loss means Martin was outcoached. Which, wouldn't surprise me because Fran is a better coach.

You can't be serious right now. It was bad when we lost to sucky teams but it's not enough to absolutely demolish sucky teams? Zo will get an extension because he's in the tournament. We could easily go to the sweet 16 and we are one of the best defensive teams in the country.

Some of you people just love being miserable.

Reactions: 10 people
You have no idea how the politics of this sort of deal work if you think rehiring BP is even remotely possible. If the university hires Pearl and he screws up again, the AD or president is to blame (fool me twice...) and goes down with the ship. If UT hires Pearl and Pearl behaves himself and wins, Pearl gets all the credit and the AD/president gets none. Ergo..There's no upside for the administrators to take this risk. Only downside. For this reason, this deal ain't happening. Ever. It'd be far better for the admin to hire the next polite and safe CCM than a renegade like pearl, in the eyes of the admin. Universities are always getting sued and so they are way too risk averse to even contemplate such a thing.

The AD/President don't give a Sh!+ about "credit". However, they do care about revenue from an EXCITED fan base, and revenue from winning championships. And that is NEVER going to happen with CCM. So who do you suggest would get this fan base as excited as the man in the orange blazer? The AD has to make the fans happy. That's what makes this whole thing work.

The AD/prez will choose keeping his job and making excuses for 10% less revenue every time over making 10% more at the risk of resigning. Credit is what people at the top of every huge organization use as currency, because that's the only commodity they can parlay into the next, better job. They just like to give you the illusion that they care about your cute little petition... News flash: they don't.

Last edited:
The AD/prez will choose keeping his job and making excuses for 10% less revenue every time over making 10% more at the risk of resigning. Credit is what people at the top of every huge organization use as currency, because that's the only commodity they can parlay into the next, better job. They just like to give you the illusion that they care about your cute little petition... News flash: they don't.

News flash: we'll see. BBB.

Or you could keep the mediocre coach and get blamed when no one cares any more.

Reactions: 7 people
Pearl ain't coming back. He tried to get a student athlete and his parents to lie for him. You can't do that. Especially if you get caught.

35,000 people signing a petition is a load of crap. The only serious attention was from the media, and is, quite frankly, embarrassing.

Vote all you want to. The UTAD is not a democracy where the fans have a vote. If it was, it would be a much bigger screwed up mess than it has been over the past few years.

Pearl may never coach again. He may be the next Dick Vitale. Until his show cause expires, and someone has either the guts or the stupidity to hire him, that is his future. I truly doubt that a reputable AD will bring him in. Too much baggage. But if one does, they better be fluent in covering their collective butts.

You can't be serious right now. It was bad when we lost to sucky teams but it's not enough to absolutely demolish sucky teams? Zo will get an extension because he's in the tournament. We could easily go to the sweet 16 and we are one of the best defensive teams in the country.

Some of you people just love being miserable.

And some of you just love mediocrity

35,000 people signing a petition is a load of crap. The only serious attention was from the media, and is, quite frankly, embarrassing.

Vote all you want to. The UTAD is not a democracy where the fans have a vote. If it was, it would be a much bigger screwed up mess than it has been over the past few years.

Pearl may never coach again. He may be the next Dick Vitale. Until his show cause expires, and someone has either the guts or the stupidity to hire him, that is his future. I truly doubt that a reputable AD will bring him in. Too much baggage. But if one does, they better be fluent in covering their collective butts.

If the fans had a say Dooley would never have been hired so I think things would be in better shape, not more screwed up.

Reactions: 3 people
Can someone please explain to me why an 11 seed is in a play in game? I thought those were for outside teams playing to be a 16 seed?

Bottom 4 at large bids (us) have play in games; and also the bottom 4 AQ(conference tournamnet winners) have play in games for the last two 16 seeds.

There are 68 teams in the tourney, and we were the 65th in, but that doesn't mean we were the 65th best team.

There are teams from lower conferences that won their tourney. Those teams generally take the lowest seeds.

They generally won't let a team from a power conference come in higher than a 13 or so.

Pearl will get a coaching job in August, and that team will be very, very good. Bank on that. But let's do things your way and let another school hire him and we'll just continue to suck. How's that sound?

VN Store

Back