Question for the Vol-Bracketologists

Dougie_D

Based off the bracket, what do think the main reason was that we have to play the "play-in" game with Iowa?

You think that's where they placed us at from the beginning? OR did we somehow slide down because of the process?

Dayton, BYU, confused the crap out of me.

who the F knows. Even the chairman of the selection committee can't give good explanations

Dayton staying local made more since regarding revenue purposes...As well as avoiding a 4th potential Tennessee/Florida match up. BYU was just a poor selection on the part of the committee. Green bay deserved that bid.

Dayton staying local made more since regarding revenue purposes...As well as avoiding a 4th potential Tennessee/Florida match up. BYU was just a poor selection on the part of the committee. Green bay deserved that bid.

I live in Dayton, and the arena is sold out for the play in games regardless of the teams. That said, it's an NCAA rule that you cannot play in your home arena in the NCAA tourney.

IMO, Dayton getting in along with UT's losses to A&M, and UTEP caused us problems.

Last edited:
Based off the bracket, what do think the main reason was that we have to play the "play-in" game with Iowa?

You think that's where they placed us at from the beginning? OR did we somehow slide down because of the process?

Selection Committee hates us!

:good!:

Tennesseeduke

I live in Dayton, and the arena is sold out for the play in games regardless of the teams. That said, it's an NCAA rule that you cannot play in your home arena in the NCAA tourney.

IMO, Dayton getting in along with UT's losses to A&M, and UTEP caused us problems.

Where do we go toget tickets. I live in Cleveland.

2nd Question: Why in God's name do the play in teams have to travel? Would it be too much trouble to let them play where the next game is? Is it just about revenue?

2nd Question: Why in God's name do the play in teams have to travel? Would it be too much trouble to let them play where the next game is? Is it just about revenue?

Dayton has hosted the play-ins for a pretty long time.

UTEP, A&M(2), and Vandy. Win those 4 supposedly easy games and this wouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: 1 person
Well we all hoped Lunardi was right (he had us as a "lock" and NOT in the last 4 in).. but seems Jerry Palm was much more accurate he would not deem us a "lock" on Thurs EVEN if we were to beat (as was projected) Arky on Fri.

I swear the committee cares more about early season performance than any other portion of season.

I kept seeing Dayton, BYU and other teams we've been hanging with get these decent seeds and matchups so it really caught me off guard to see our play-in bid

And we were better at the end of the season? We thumped 5 teams with a combined record of 21 games under .500

Would you have preferred to lose to some of them?

Here's the problem. Martin was pretty much dead in the water after the 2nd A&M loss, but since then the team has crushed everybody except for UF. At this point it's pretty obvious that many on here would have preferred not playing well down the stretch, so really it's a no-win situation.

Would you have preferred to lose to some of them?

Here's the problem. Martin was pretty much dead in the water after the 2nd A&M loss, but since then the team has crushed everybody except for UF. At this point it's pretty obvious that many on here would have preferred not playing well down the stretch, so really it's a no-win situation.

Beating those teams did nothing good for us. Losing them would have been fatal. We can't talk about how the NCAA needs to take in our closing games of the regular season into consideration when they are not the teams that makeup our tough dis and RPI

The play-in games appear to be partially driven by TV ratings

March 18
Albany vs, Mount St. Mary's @ 6:30
NC State vs. Xavier @ 9:10

March 19
CP (Cal Poly?) vs. Tex Southern @ 6:30
Tenn vs. Iowa @ 9:10

And we were better at the end of the season? We thumped 5 teams with a combined record of 21 games under .500

There were a few flashes in the pan in the early season, but we've been playing our best basketball here in the late season, as per usual

I believe they can waive that rule if they want to put Dayton in a play-in game. Otherwise, the Flyers would be allowed to skip them every time they receive an at-large bid, regardless of their profile.

I went and watched UT play OK State in Dayton a few years ago. The place was full of UD fans wearing their gear even though I don't think UD was even in the tournament

VN Store

Back