If you were on the committee

volgrad500

The Oracle of Orange
and had to make an argument AGAINST Tennessee receiving a bid, what would it be?

I'd stress the 3-7 record agains top 50 and 7-9 record against top 100 teams.
Not sure how that stacks up against other bubble teams, but it is the main complaint I hear from other fans. In my opinion, our SOS and RPI overcomes these and that we are definitely in.

There's not an arguement that can be made that isn't foolish IMO, you can say just 3 quality wins but other teams have less so that shouldn't be what keeps us out.

Jmo

Reactions: 2 people
Your best argument would be the so-so record and the A&M/Vanderbilt losses, but even then Tennessee has a better resume than most of the 11/12 seeds and bubble squads.

Reactions: 1 person
Yea I agree. It's funny to see other bubble team fans try and sustain an anit-Tennessee argument after the way we finished the season.

Lack of quality wins. Average record in a bad conference. I am not particularly impressed with beating teams with RPI's in the 100-199 range, but it's those wins that give us a high rpi and a good SoS. Not beaten a team that will make the field of 68 in 2014.

Lack of quality wins. Average record in a bad conference. I am not particularly impressed with beating teams with RPI's in the 100-199 range, but it's those wins that give us a high rpi and a good SoS. Not beaten a team that will make the field of 68 in 2014.

I guess Virginia and Xavier are staying home too.

Reactions: 1 person
How many do we have compared to other bubble teams?

SMU has 4, 3 vs the top 25

Dayton has 4, 2 vs the top 25

Xavier has 4, 2 vs the top 25

Iowa has 5, 2 vs the top 25

Tennessee has 3, 1 vs the top 25.

I'm not saying we should be out, the question was what would you use against Tennessee if you were on the committee.

The Virginia game is by far better (imo) than any other bubble team can point to. 0-4 against FL and UK hurt, but that's why we are considered a bubble team and not a 5 seed.

Those wins were in 2013. AKA months ago. If I were on the committee I'd have to look at that as a negative.

If that was the case UK wouldn't make the tourney based on what you just said...and they lost to USC who is worse than A&M

I'm not saying we should be out, the question was what would you use against Tennessee if you were on the committee.

And all those teams are in, the question is saying basically to remove Tennessee for a team that's out what would the argument be?

So teams that are out, or projected out...

If that was the case UK wouldn't make the tourney based on what you just said...and they lost to USC who is worse than A&M

Except UK has done enough otherwise not to be on the bubble. They are 24-9, not 20-12. Which is our record in the eyes of the committee.

And all those teams are in, the question is saying basically to remove Tennessee for a team that's out what would the argument be?

So teams that are out, or projected out...

Palm has both SMU and Tennessee on the fence and those others as probably in. That's the bubble.

Once again, I agree that we're in.

Lets just say this: MTSU got in as an at large last year with 1 WIN in the RPI top 100, and that was to Ole Miss at home who had to win the SECT to get in. Their RPI was 33.

Our résumé blows that out of the water. RPI and SOS are huge tools for the committee.

Do you know how many wins that SMU has that are against teams above RPI 100? I will give you a hint. Subtract your number above from their total wins. Yes, 19.

See, you have to look at all the numbers. UT's resume has much more depth than SMU's. Their 4 top 50 wins are also their only 4 top 100 wins. And you stated that you didn't care about wins above 100. UT 7, SMU 4.

It's interesting that we have a surprisingly high number of games (6) against Lunardi's other 15 bubble teams (those listed from last four byes to next four out). Kind of shows again how up and down this team has been at times.
Games played: Xavier (2) Ark, Missouri (2), NC State.

VN Store

Back