Lunardi just said

JMSqb11

That the play in game is between Dayton and Xavier/Tennessee due to Providence win.

We have a higher RPI than Xavier, and we beat them on a neutral court. If it's between us and Xavier, that alone should be the deciding factor. Plus, a Xavier/Dayton matchup in Dayton would be a huge local draw. It's just going to suck for whoever has to play Dayton should they be one of the last 4; a home game for them

Not being a homer but if anyone on the committee watched the game yesterday they would conclude that UT isn't a "play-in" team.

Reactions: 2 people
Not being a homer but if anyone on the committee watched the game yesterday they would conclude that UT isn't a "play-in" team.

I think we are one of the top 20 teams in the country - unfortunately our record puts us on the bubble - and barely in or out. Better cross your fingers at this point.

Why? We lost because of ourselves. Not because of Florida. It's crazy that if we make the tourney, we haven't been in the top 25 in three seasons and this year is weakest of the three seasons' résumés. One thing that baffles me is how a 12 loss SEC team can be safely in when given the state of the conference. If we got passed over the last two years with better résumés, I wouldn't be shocked if we see we are safe and we wind up not getting in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I think 3 of the 4 play-in games are set: Dayton, BYU, and Xavier. The last spot is a tossup between Tennessee, SMU, and Nebraska. Considering we have a higher RPI than both of them, I feel like we might get lucky and avoid the play-in. Plus, the committee would avoid pitting us up against Xavier for the 3rd time this year.

I think 3 of the 4 play-in games are set: Dayton, BYU, and Xavier. The last spot is a tossup between Tennessee, SMU, and Nebraska. Considering we have a higher RPI than both of them, I feel like we might get lucky and avoid the play-in. Plus, the committee would avoid pitting us up against Xavier for the 3rd time this year.

SMU is a better team and I think its a coin flip between us and Brasky

SMU is a better team and I think its a coin flip between us and Brasky

I think we're better than SMU... barely, but still better.

Regardless, based on RPI which is so dear to the committee, we're higher than they are which has more weight

I think we're better than SMU... barely, but still better.

Regardless, based on RPI which is so dear to the committee, we're higher than they are which has more weight

Yes but I think RPI mixed with a horrible record vs the teams that make our RPI and SOS good doesn't help us. Plus, SMU bet some good teams and actually made the top 25

Why? We lost because of ourselves. Not because of Florida. It's crazy that if we make the tourney, we haven't been in the top 25 in three seasons and this year is weakest of the three seasons' résumés. One thing that baffles me is how a 12 loss SEC team can be safely in when given the state of the conference. If we got passed over the last two years with better résumés, I wouldn't be shocked if we see we are safe and we wind up not getting in.

UF is the #1 overall seed in the tourney and UT went toe to toe with them and have stepped up their game. And yes, the committee looks at that.

Reactions: 4 people
I've watched a lot of UT's games this year, and right now they are playing at a Top 25 level. IMO they should be in, but I don't have a vote. I know this for sure they could be a tough out for sure.

Yes but I think RPI mixed with a horrible record vs the teams that make our RPI and SOS good doesn't help us. Plus, SMU bet some good teams and actually made the top 25

Yeah it will just depend on what the committee wants to see this year. Seems to change year-to-year so it's hard to say

That the play in game is between Dayton and Xavier/Tennessee due to Providence win.

In the true spirit of this site, I have a cousin who knows a woman whose friend lives next door to a friend of Lunardi. Lunardi hates us and wants us to squirm in our misery.

Palm has UT playing BYU in a play-in game, too; Mizzou and UAr head up his first 4 out.

I think UT is safe.

Palm has UT playing BYU in a play-in game, too; Mizzou and UAr head up his first 4 out.

I think UT is safe.

I don't think anyone is really worried about Tennessee not making the tournament. The question is play-in game or not

UF is the #1 overall seed in the tourney and UT went toe to toe with them and have stepped up their game. And yes, the committee looks at that.

And for a third year staff with a system in its third year with the most talent this staff has had in its three seasons vs a team this staff has owned coming into this year, a "moral victory" playing the number one team close isn't a plus for us. I don't see how this excuse is being used so often all of the sudden.

In the true spirit of this site, I have a cousin who knows a woman whose friend lives next door to a friend of Lunardi. Lunardi hates us and wants us to squirm in our misery.

Lunardi said it live this morning on SC under the "Final 1 Seed" about Louisville and Providence block.

I could be wrong on this assumption, but it's been my understanding...they no longer look at how you're playing lately to determine who's in and out. However it has seemed that the eye test has been used with seeding. For example, I could see a team like Iowa who's really stumbled late, bumped down to a play in game.

Just a thought

I don't think anyone is really worried about Tennessee not making the tournament. The question is play-in game or not

Right, but play-in game or not is a very significant difference, because if you're currently in a play-in game instead of the regular seeding today's games could potentially either screw it up or put you in solidly.

You played UVA, so a win by them over Duke in the ACCT could boost your resume. And St. Joe's plays today too, and they're right on the edge... a 9 seed by Palm and a 10 seed by Lunardi.

And for a third year staff with a system in its third year with the most talent this staff has had in its three seasons vs a team this staff has owned coming into this year, a "moral victory" playing the number one team close isn't a plus for us. I don't see how this excuse is being used so often all of the sudden.

You're the only one who said "moral victory", Chief. The remark was that the committee would take notice of the caliber of play (paraphrased, but accurate) and that's true.
The loss sucks, yeah. But there are other opportunities ahead for this season's team.

Reactions: 2 people
We have a higher RPI than Xavier, and we beat them on a neutral court. If it's between us and Xavier, that alone should be the deciding factor. Plus, a Xavier/Dayton matchup in Dayton would be a huge local draw. It's just going to suck for whoever has to play Dayton should they be one of the last 4; a home game for them

The committee already said head to heads don't matter. Its the entire body of work but I agree we have done more

VN Store

Back