"The Call!"

SeniorDrill

Game tied 45-45 with over 4 minutes to go. Referee single handedly gives Florida a 4 point lead while throwing out Tennessee's most dominant rebounder in this game. You can say what you want to about the rest of the game but this one call handed the game to Florida on a silver platter. It was a d--n shame that two teams had fought their hearts out for 36 minutes and the referee decided the game. I kept trying to see and I think it was Maymon who yelled "What?". If you watch the replay, you will here a loud what above the crowd. Since no one else knew what had happened it had to be him. So we have a player stoked to the extent with the adrenalin flowing questioning why he was called for a foul that could have gone either way. He thought he was fouled. So in disbelief he approaches the guy who made the call and according to Cuonzo did not curse the ref but asked what had happened and gestured that he was the one who had received the shoulder. What decent ref with the game on the line would have made that call? Was the fix in for a Final Four Southeastern Conference referee? Just asking?:ermm:

Reactions: 13 people
Not sure about the conspiracy theory part. However, I don't understand why refs feel the need to decide games like that. Unless he cussed out the ref, warn him not to say another word, and let the game go on. With the D that was being played by those teams it's hard not to argue that it was at the very least a game-changer, if not decider.

Reactions: 2 people
You can always bring up a conspiracy angle with SEC officials and not be off base. We were playing a probable one seed. Do they lose that seeding with a loss to us? Probably. There's always room for doubt when a spot at top seeding or a bid for the football national championship game is on the line.

Reactions: 9 people
You can always bring up a conspiracy angle with SEC officials and not be off base. We were playing a probable one seed. Do they lose that seeding with a loss to us? Probably. There's always room for doubt when a spot at top seeding or a bid for the football national championship game is on the line.

They were a 1-seed and probably the overall 1-seed whether they beat us or not, so I don't buy this angle. The awful officiating I can definitely get on board with however.

Reactions: 3 people
When Refs make calls like that I believe they are purposefully doing their best to fix the outcome. Most of the Refs in the Nba are dirty, and I'm sure quite a few are in college as well. There are lots of powerful and dangerous people depending on winning money from sports gambling.

Reactions: 5 people
I think only scoring 14 points in the second half had more to do with us losing instead of officiating. Coach should have made some adjustments.

Reactions: 6 people
Senior, did Florida score against the 1-3-1?

I think we played it for 3-4 possessions and I don't remember them scoring off it. They tried that lob and Moore came flying through the air like batman to break it up.

Reactions: 1 person
Here is my question an maybe it's because I have on orange colored glasses, but when is the last time we, UT got a game deciding call in any sport and game against Florida? Not saying it is rigged, just incredible.

When Refs make calls like that I believe they are purposefully doing their best to fix the outcome. Most of the Refs in the Nba are dirty, and I'm sure quite a few are in college as well. There are lots of powerful and dangerous people depending on winning money from sports gambling.

I believe that 99.99% of refs aren't "dirty" or trying to fix the outcome. Do you really think that the ref was consciously thinking "I better T up Maymon here to make sure UF stays as a #1 seed"? That's a little too farfetched for me to buy. However, again, I am not defending the officiating yesterday as it was just awful in the 2nd half of that game.

Here is my question an maybe it's because I have on orange colored glasses, but when is the last time we, UT got a game deciding call in any sport and game against Florida? Not saying it is rigged, just incredible.

'04 UF-UT football game comes to mind right away with the phantom clock stoppage.

Notice that Florida covered the spread by one point?

:devilsmoke:

I think we played it for 3-4 possessions and I don't remember them scoring off it. They tried that lob and Moore came flying through the air like batman to break it up.

I've said all along it is a shut down defense for Tennessee as you know! I'm glad you noticed! It's beyond me why they run it for one or two possessions and then go back to man. If they want to advance in the NCAA they can't just rely on the man-to-man. Notice how strategically Donovan used the zone in the second half!

'04 UF-UT football game comes to mind right away with the phantom clock stoppage.

The catch that was called a TD for Gaffney in closing seconds comes to mind. Can't remember the exact year, though. But, it seems the Gators have usually gotten the calls over the Vols.:popcorn:
GO VOLS!

I agree the ref should've swallowed his whistle, instead of calling the T.

However, if you have ever known or been around any one who refs the game, they'll tell you it was the right call. Regardless of what Maymon said, a lot of refs see it as a player trying to 'show them up' by arguing a call.

Regardless, as others have already said...this call had little to do with our lack of offense during the 2nd half...which is what cost us the game, IMO.

However, if you have ever known or been around any one who refs the game, they'll tell you it was the right call. Regardless of what Maymon said, a lot of refs see it as a player trying to 'show them up' by arguing a call.

Regardless, as others have already said...this call had little to do with our lack of offense during the 2nd half...which is what cost us the game, IMO.

This is close to how I feel about it....shouldn't have made the call....but our lack of scoring the ball lost the game....and lack of production from the point guard position...

I wonder this too. I was shocked we didn't play it more. I think Cuonzo would do well to change his defense several times every few possessions. I think this team could play any zone and it be effective.

Agree that only 14 points in the 2nd half was the dagger, however, to T up someone questioning a call that was so blatantly bad is wrong. As for 99.99% of officials not being "dirty", I thing that number is HIGHLY exaggerated. I have seen a lot of officials that need to be investigated, but leagues and the NCAA would never admit that they have an issue.

Reactions: 3 people

I can dig this position. But I was watching the highlights on Sportscenter and felt embarrassed for the referee. He got a glaring look on his face, waited for Maymon to shut up and begin to walk off before popping him. Looked like the ref JUST HAD TO SHOW MAYMON UP IN AN APPENDAGE CONTEST. It was pretty disgusting.

I was listening to the radio broadcast, and Bob was saying that when Patric Young picked up his last foul, he went up to a ref and implored him to watch the reply to prove he didn't foul. That's much more worthy of a T IMO.

I believe that 99.99% of refs aren't "dirty" or trying to fix the outcome. Do you really think that the ref was consciously thinking "I better T up Maymon here to make sure UF stays as a #1 seed"? That's a little too farfetched for me to buy. However, again, I am not defending the officiating yesterday as it was just awful in the 2nd half of that game.

They look for reasons to help secure an outcome. People are pointing to the fact the Vols couldn't score for 14 minutes as part of the loss. I guarantee that if the Vols did start scoring that the refs would have started calling other violations against them. They didn't need to at that point.

There are some big breakdowns of NBA playoff games where it is proven that the refs find ways to help keep the games with in the parameters of the Vegas odds. It is so obvious at times that its a wonder people still watch. It definitely happens in college basketball as well. Not ever game, but it happens.

I wonder this too. I was shocked we didn't play it more. I think Cuonzo would do well to change his defense several times every few possessions. I think this team could play any zone and it be effective.

No one a scored on any defense on either team yesterday.

If you eliminate free throws and transition baskets from each team, both teams got zilch for much of the game.

I don't care what defense was being played.

No one a scored on any defense on either team yesterday.

If you eliminate free throws and transition baskets from each team, both teams got zilch for much of the game.

I don't care what defense was being played.

Well, when Florida went on their run, we weren't matching up very well playing man. We looked completely gassed, which would have been a perfect time to go to the zone to at least see how Florida handled it.

I am no saying t is rigged. But Kentucky fans think everything is great with their team now. Cal said he made some tweeks. They have played LSU, and Georgia. Kentucky has had the easiest way to the SEC championship game of anyone.

VN Store

Back