Vols can finish 3rd place in SEC

1985Vols

If they win out and Georgia loses 1 more game ( last game is at LSU). How many fans would jump back on the bandwagon if this happens and we get to the Finals of the SEC tourney? This would put them opposite bracket of FL in the tourney. Would CuonZo win back some fans if this happens. Just wondering.....

Reactions: 1 person
If they win out and Georgia loses 1 more game ( last game is at LSU). How many fans would jump back on the bandwagon if this happens and we get to the Finals of the SEC tourney? This would put them opposite bracket of FL in the tourney. Would CuonZo win back some fans if this happens. Just wondering.....

Not a fan of Counzo but a fan of the Vols. I hope they win out including the SECT.

Reactions: 7 people
SEC standings are meaningless. All that matters is that Virginia keeps winning. That win alone is keeping us in the tournament running.

Reactions: 2 people

This win is HORRIBLE for the program!!! This will help us get in to the NCAA tourney, which means Martin keeps his job. Which means that with a roster of healthy, upper classmen, he still can't win very much, so what will he do with a less talented or injured roster?

We are destined to be a mediocre program for the long term!!!!!

Yes, we may make the NCAA, but we will lose in the 1st round and next season will have to bring out the black curtains because we will have a less talented roster and will pile up many more loses.

It wouldn't be that bad, IF we at least won all of the games that we should win, then maybe next season we could fair decently, but if we have less talent and we lose even the games that we are supposed to be favored to win, then we don't stand a chance.

Doudt Martin changes his coaching style over the summer.

Reactions: 3 people

Easy answer, no.

Your assumption is based on Cuonzo Martin actually having to add value to those wins with solid coaching. That assumption is poorly founded.

Winning heals everything. If CM can win enough games then yes the fanbase would get back behind him. The real question is how many games does he have to win. Imo he needs to not only make the tourney but win at least 1 game.

Winning heals everything. If CM can win enough games then yes the fanbase would get back behind him. The real question is how many games does he have to win. Imo he needs to not only make the tourney but win at least 1 game.

My opinion is it will take a Sweet 16 or better to get most fans support for Cuonzo.

My opinion is it will take a Sweet 16 or better to get most fans support for Cuonzo.

1985, if he attains the sweet 16, which is a big IF, it will change the opinion of a lot of people. It will also eliminate a large majority of the Bruce chatter.

1985, if he attains the sweet 16, which is a big IF, it will change the opinion of a lot of people. It will also eliminate a large majority of the Bruce chatter.

I agree. It will validate him somewhat , and I don't have any confidence that Hart and his cronies would be able to make a better hire than Cuonzo. If they can't get Pearl, I'm relegated to believing we might as well keep CCM

1985, one of CCM's problems is that he will have to coach at a high level to attain that accomplishment, nothing has shown me that he is capable of doing it.

1985, one of CCM's problems is that he will have to coach at a high level to attain that accomplishment, nothing has shown me that he is capable of doing it.

I agree. I like him and have supported him from day 1, however, I just don't think he can get it done.

This win is HORRIBLE for the program!!! This will help us get in to the NCAA tourney, which means Martin keeps his job. Which means that with a roster of healthy, upper classmen, he still can't win very much, so what will he do with a less talented or injured roster?

Yes, we may make the NCAA, but we will lose in the 1st round and next season will have to bring out the black curtains because we will have a less talented roster and will pile up many more loses.

It wouldn't be that bad, IF we at least won all of the games that we should win, then maybe next season we could fair decently, but if we have less talent and we lose even the games that we are supposed to be favored to win, then we don't stand a chance.

:lolabove:

I love this

It was very doubtful those 2 hilljacks Hart and Cheek would have fired CCM anyway

Maybe we can have Jordan and Jarnell fake injuries and apply for medical redshirts and come back next year. lol

It was very doubtful those 2 hilljacks Hart and Cheek would have fired CCM anyway

You are correct!! If Hart did fire Martin but didn't hire Bruce and the new coach didn't do well, whereas, Bruce was really successful at his new school, Hart would look foolish.

If Hart fired Martin and did hire Bruce and eventually Bruce got in trouble with the NCAA again, Hart would look foolish.

The best solution for Hart is for their to NOT be a coaching vacancy at U.T., this way he won't be in a situation to choose who the next coach will be.

So, Hart is probably looking for every excuse to keep Martin.

Also, if we make the NCAA, then we have to keep Martin. Because it would send a horrible message for us to fire a coach after he took us to the NCAA.

I'm torn.

I can't root against my teams unless they are tanking for a draft pick (see: Los Angeles Lakers), much less when they sit right on the bubble like Tennessee does right now. We could very easily end up dancing this year, and it's next to impossible for me to root against that.

However...

I have zero doubt in my mind that Cuonzo Martin is a bad basketball coach, and that he is not the answer for our program. Keeping him for even one year longer will set us back another year, and delay the true rebuilding process that will sooner or later have to take place.

I want to dance. Dancing is great. Even if it's just a quick trip to Dayton, and then back home by Thursday (which seems quite possible), it's still better than the alternative. But I also care about the long-term future of this program, and it appears a tourney bid this year could potentially hurt that future. I mean... if a tourney bid guarantees we retain Martin, then how great is it really? Is it worth it?

Maybe I'm stupid. Maybe I'm a ****ty fan. I don't know. I just don't like that I feel this way...

Reactions: 6 people
I'm torn.

I can't root against my teams unless they are tanking for a draft pick (see: Los Angeles Lakers), much less when they sit right on the bubble like Tennessee does right now. We could very easily end up dancing this year, and it's next to impossible for me to root against that.

However...

I have zero doubt in my mind that Cuonzo Martin is a bad basketball coach, and that he is not the answer for our program. Keeping him for even one year longer will set us back another year, and delay the true rebuilding process that will sooner or later have to take place.

I want to dance. Dancing is great. Even if it's just a quick trip to Dayton, and then back home by Thursday (which seems quite possible), it's still better than the alternative. But I also care about the long-term future of this program, and it appears a tourney bid this year could potentially hurt that future. I mean... if a tourney bid guarantees we retain Martin, then how great is it really? Is it worth it?

Maybe I'm stupid. Maybe I'm a ****ty fan. I don't know. I just don't like that I feel this way...

I feel ya man. I want to make the tournament too but I don't want us to keep Martin for another year cause he's still not the answer. I'm shocked that there's still Cuonzo Martin supporters out there. Lol

You are correct!! If Hart did fire Martin but didn't hire Bruce and the new coach didn't do well, whereas, Bruce was really successful at his new school, Hart would look foolish.

If Hart fired Martin and did hire Bruce and eventually Bruce got in trouble with the NCAA again, Hart would look foolish.

The best solution for Hart is for their to NOT be a coaching vacancy at U.T., this way he won't be in a situation to choose who the next coach will be.

So, Hart is probably looking for every excuse to keep Martin.

Also, if we make the NCAA, then we have to keep Martin. Because it would send a horrible message for us to fire a coach after he took us to the NCAA.

We fired Green after he made it. Why not this abomination of a coach we have at the helm now?

it is hard to say,I personally would like to see CCM get a hold of this team and make em perform like there capable of,the rest of this year and leave no doubt as to who the coach will be

is that going to happen ? I don't know,but it needs to,for him to save his job,but lets not forget Hart,he may do nothing and keep CCM too

I'm torn.

However...

Sometimes a step back is necessary to get you where you want to to.

I look it like this. If we win out and get at least 1 game in SEC tournament and 2 games in the NCAA then the team played about par for the season. In saying that there was only 1 relevant win during regular season over VA so now that makes it look like underachieving. Underachieving with an experienced and talented roster is failure by the coach & staff to get the team to another level thus causing fan uproar wanting Bruce back. So far there is no comparison between CM and BP. BP had his teams playing above and beyond most every time they took the court and that is the difference! CM has not. VA & yesterday over Candy were the best games played all season and that's not good enough. Way to inconsistent under CM!

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

VN Store

Back