Official Bubble Watch/Games to watch thread

bleedingTNorange

Let me start by saying i really had hoped i wouldnt have to start a thread like this, this year, and truthfully didnt think i would be. This season up to this point has clearly been a dissapointment, im not sure you could find anyone who thinks otherwise. However, this thread is not about that, it's simply about the current position we are in and where our chances stand to get into the dance. Some of you are probably familiar with this thread, i started one each of the last 2 years. Basically I update it daily with games that are taking place that day that could have an impact on us in some way. Some of the games could be teams we've played thus rooting for them to win and subsequently improve our SOS/RPI. Some of the games will be other bubble teams who we want to root against in hopes of imporoving our chances.

I will also post links and information daily that i find in regards to our SOS, RPI and where we are projected by different sources. A couple of my go to sites that i personally like our rpiforecast.com , Joe Lunardi's bracketology, Jerry Palm's bracketology and the bracket matrix...you'll see alot of posts that include links to their sites or blogs.

While i started out by saying this season has definitely been a dissapointment, i do feel it is important to illustrate exactly where we stand. More importantly possibly, is where it is that we stand in regards to the last 2 seasons as obviously we were unable to make the dance either year. So below will be our numbers from this year, as well as the last 2 years (w/l, conf w/l, sos and rpi) as of todays date. I will try to keep that updated as it might be a decent reference point to understand where we are in terms of where we were the last 2 years. Now it wouldnt be fair not to mention that each of the last 2 years we closed very strong, which is what even got us close to the bubble, im not sure that we will have as much success down the stretch this year. With that said...

2011-2012:

14-12(6-5) SOS: 78 RPI: 105
Good Wins: 3
Bad Losses: 4

2012-2013:

14-10 (6-6) SOS: 36 RPI: 68
Good Wins: 1
Bad Losses: 1

2013-2014:

15-10 (6-6) SOS: 13 RPI: 53
Good Wins: 2
Bad Losses: 1

Here are some links, and where we stand on each:

The Bracket Project's Bracket Matrix - 2014 3rd 11 seed

Bracketology - NCAA College Basketball Brackets and Predictions - ESPN 11 seed 1st round bye

NCAA College Basketball Tournament Bracket Predictions - CBSSports.com 11 seed 1st round bye

Games to Watch (bold team is who we want to win):

2/16/2014

2:00pm SMU vs. Temple
3:00pm Oregon State vs. Oregon
5:00pm Wichita State vs. Evansville
6:00pm Minnesota vs. Northwestern
7:00pm Georgetown vs. St. John's
8:00pm Colorado vs. USC

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Thanks for the info man! Will definitely be watching these games closely and the teams you listed that we want to lose for the rest of the season

There are a lot of bubble teams with tough schedules ahead. Could be a blessing or a curse. Hopefully it means more losses. But on the other hand, gives them opportunities to pull off some quality wins. Something Tennessee lacks.

BTW, VCU should be in bold. They are much less of a bubble team than GW is

Good info. Like those 2 years needed a strong finish, but we are in better shape going into this stretch. However not getting a return trip from Kentucky to Knoxville hurts us this year.

Its the rabbit to our greyhound, in our sites but just outside our grasp. :)

It's the annual begging session that if enough teams lose the they have to take us just to fill out the tournament.
I liked it better when they had no choice but to seed us high. Go figure.

It's the annual begging session that if enough teams lose the they have to take us just to fill out the tournament.
I liked it better when they had no choice but to seed us high. Go figure.

I sorta like bubble ball every season.
Getting in every season was kind of boring.

Reactions: 1 person
The titanic matchup of Vandy-So Car has been postponed too.

Will tip at 4 EST tomorrow. No TV. I wonder if they'll have 1,000 fans show up.

ole miss and lsu have a game against florida and kentucky left on the schedule. hopefully, that will help.

Unrelated to the thread, but I was thinking about it and our team won't be as bad as people think next year.

Next years roster will still be more talented than 3/4 of the other SEC teams. The key would be not losing games they shouldn't, which they haven't been able to do in 3 years.

Tonight's games for those who may have missed it...

7:00pm: Rhode Island vs. Dayton
7:00pm: Richmond vs. Duquesne
7:00pm: George Washington vs. VCU
7:00pm: George Mason vs. UMASS
8:00pm: Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma
9:00pm: LSU vs. Texas A&M
9:00pm: Stanford vs. Washington
9:15pm: New Mexico vs. Boise State
11:00pm California vs. Washington State

Last edited:
at the half...

Dayton up 5
Richmond up 12
VCU up 14

Didn't include this game because they weren't close to the bubble, but UMASS down 10 to GMU, at home. That would be a horrible loss and would surely drop them down towards the bubble.

VN Store

Back