Drive a Truck to Scott Drew's House! (long!)

TennaciousD957

I'm Kind of a Big Deal
In the spirit of being angry at Cuonzo after a loss I began to think about the options available to Tennessee if we make a change at the end of the season. I am of the belief that Tennessee has all the makings of being a consistent top 25 team with the right coach in place. Is Cuonzo the man to do it? Was Bruce going to be able to do it had Selby and Craft decommitted prior to the BBQ? This is not a discussion about that, as there are plenty of those to go around.

The problem is that there truly are not many "Right" coaches, especially coaches that will leave their current situation. You either have to hire a mid-major and hope it works or try and hire a proven coach. I stumbled upon Pat Forde's article -http://http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-minutes--how-college-basketball-became-an-old-man-s-game-064307650-ncaab.html which gave a list of the coaches which have won or on the verge of winning national titles. Now of course we can argue the list (i.e. Pastner, hahahah), but the statement Forde is making is that these guys have demonstrated potential. Many of them will need to move to bigger jobs to get over the hump. Tennessee could be one of those jobs IMO.

11 active coaches have won national titles
Billy Donovan - not leaving FLA
Bill Self - marquee job
Coach K - marquee job
Roy Williams - marquee job
John Calipari - marquee job
Rick Pitino - marquee job
Tom Izzo - marquee job
Larry Brown - SMU - maybe, but age is a big factor
Tubby Smith - no way for age and flame out at UK
Jim Boheim - marquee job
Steve Fisher - Great coach, NCAA baggage. Age a factor.

On the Verge
Sean Miller - marquee job
Tom Crean - marquee job
Thad Matta - marquee job
Fred Hoiberg - alma mater
Shaka Smart - probably waiting in marquee job
Steve Alford - marquee job, questionable on this list IMO
Travis Ford - OSU is a very similar job to UT IMO
Brad Stevens - Not even in college anymore
Jamie Dixon - Would have to unload dumptruck
Mick Cronin - alma mater
John Thompson III - Dad's legacy - quasi-marquee job
Tony Bennett - Paint drying offense
Scott Drew - small time program, big-time recruiter
Josh Pastner - Good program, big-time recruiter, no way IMO

Many of the coaches are not available as they are at marquee programs or their alma mater. Besides those, who would you consider? Only 5 are at non-marquee schools, not at their alma mater, and age is no factor.

I am taking a shot at Scott Drew and before you laugh read this article. The Scott Drew jokes never stop but they don't really make any sense - CBSSports.com

Dixon, Bennett are 2nd and 3rd options in my book, but Dixon does seems content and Bennett's offense make Cuonzo's teams look break-neck.

Ford I not impressed with sans Marcus Smart.
Pastner (no way he leaves for UT or that UT wants him). Thoughts?

Reactions: 2 people
In the spirit of being angry at Cuonzo after a loss I began to think about the options available to Tennessee if we make a change at the end of the season. I am of the belief that Tennessee has all the makings of being a consistent top 25 team with the right coach in place. Is Cuonzo the man to do it? Was Bruce going to be able to do it had Selby and Craft decommitted prior to the BBQ? This is not a discussion about that, as there are plenty of those to go around.

The problem is that there truly are not many "Right" coaches, especially coaches that will leave their current situation. You either have to hire a mid-major and hope it works or try and hire a proven coach. I stumbled upon Pat Forde's article -http://http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-minutes--how-college-basketball-became-an-old-man-s-game-064307650-ncaab.html which gave a list of the coaches which have won or on the verge of winning national titles. Now of course we can argue the list (i.e. Pastner, hahahah), but the statement Forde is making is that these guys have demonstrated potential. Many of them will need to move to bigger jobs to get over the hump. Tennessee could be one of those jobs IMO.

11 active coaches have won national titles
Billy Donovan - not leaving FLA
Bill Self - marquee job
Coach K - marquee job
Roy Williams - marquee job
John Calipari - marquee job
Rick Pitino - marquee job
Tom Izzo - marquee job
Larry Brown - SMU - maybe, but age is a big factor
Tubby Smith - no way for age and flame out at UK
Jim Boheim - marquee job
Steve Fisher - Great coach, NCAA baggage. Age a factor.

On the Verge
Sean Miller - marquee job
Tom Crean - marquee job
Thad Matta - marquee job
Fred Hoiberg - alma mater
Shaka Smart - probably waiting in marquee job
Steve Alford - marquee job, questionable on this list IMO
Travis Ford - OSU is a very similar job to UT IMO
Brad Stevens - Not even in college anymore
Jamie Dixon - Would have to unload dumptruck
Mick Cronin - alma mater
John Thompson III - Dad's legacy - quasi-marquee job
Tony Bennett - Paint drying offense
Scott Drew - small time program, big-time recruiter
Josh Pastner - Good program, big-time recruiter, no way IMO

Many of the coaches are not available as they are at marquee programs or their alma mater. Besides those, who would you consider? Only 5 are at non-marquee schools, not at their alma mater, and age is no factor.

I am taking a shot at Scott Drew and before you laugh read this article. The Scott Drew jokes never stop but they don't really make any sense - CBSSports.com

Dixon, Bennett are 2nd and 3rd options in my book, but Dixon does seems content and Bennett's offense make Cuonzo's teams look break-neck.

Ford I not impressed with sans Marcus Smart.
Pastner (no way he leaves for UT or that UT wants him). Thoughts?

I think if those are our 5 targets, we better be prepared to hire someone 6-10 on our list.

Reactions: 1 person
No one has underachieved with more 5 star talent than Pastner or Drew. Plus wasn't he under investigation for trying to deport a kid or something like that?

None of those are realistic. IMO My list in no particular order would be

Tad Boyle
Frank Lawrence
Chris Mack
Donnie Tyndall

The google search candidate could be Pat Skerry. IMO If not us somebody will scoop this guy up.

Last edited:
JMO, we have to get football healthy before we can fix basketball. Presuming we don't get in the Tourney--then yes CCM will probably need to go. You may need to include some NBA assistants on your list as well. Money always talks in sports the question is would UT open the Brinks truck for a basketball coach. I say no---you have to remember the AD has money problems. I just can't see Hart signing off on a big name basketball coach. He'll shop for an up and comer if CCM gets fired.

i don't care.bash me all you want to. Bo Ryan should be on our short list of coaches to replace martin.he has been to the final 4 and has racked up numerous ncaa bids.

i don't care.bash me all you want to. Bo Ryan should be on our short list of coaches to replace martin.he has been to the final 4 and has racked up numerous ncaa bids.

I really like Bo Ryan, but he wouldn't leave Wisky. IMO He is making over 2 million and UT sure wouldn't come out of the pocket enough to entice a move for him.

Last edited:

And why would he leave? Multimillionaire. Wins. Bids. Packed house. Local recruits.

Best option is CBP but that isn't going to happen. Cheek loves his own boogers too much to let that happen.

I am not saying these should be the only names on the list, just thinking about Forde's article and how it relates to our situation. I also cant say i agree that Pastner or Ford.should even be on this list. Other names should included. I do like Lawrence Frank, Ben Howland, Bo Ryan, as other potentials name. I also agree with the above poster that unfortunately UT has never demonstarted a willingness to open the bank for a basketball coach. If I was the AD i would look at Drew, Dixon, Frank, Howland, and Ryan among others, but you would to pay 2 mil plus to get them. Odds are we go bluelight special shopping and hire the google special guy mentioned above. Just food for thought overall. Oh and counting my posts, huh? Hilarious and inconsquential.

I really like Bo Ryan, but he wouldn't leave Wisky. IMO He is making over 2 million and UT sure wouldn't come out of the pocket enough to entice a move for him.

i guess because arkansas got bret bielema to leave and tennessee could pay more than wisconsin if they wanted too.

I am not saying these should be the only names on the list, just thinking about Forde's article and how it relates to our situation. I also cant say i agree that Pastner or Ford.should even be on this list. Other names should included. I do like Lawrence Frank, Ben Howland, Bo Ryan, as other potentials name. I also agree with the above poster that unfortunately UT has never demonstarted a willingness to open the bank for a basketball coach. If I was the AD i would look at Drew, Dixon, Frank, Howland, and Ryan among others, but you would to pay 2 mil plus to get them. Odds are we go bluelight special shopping and hire the google special guy mentioned above. Just food for thought overall. Oh and counting my posts, huh? Hilarious and inconsquential.

Go post. I think Sparty was just bustin your chops tho.

Buzz Williams doesn't get mentioned enough IMO.

Younger guy, very energetic, has done an amazing job at Marquette and isn't paid all that high. He's at 1.8 million from what I found, Marquette isn't some blue blood program, in not familiar with their facilities but I would guess ours are at least comparable.

IMO he should be the first call now that I've thought about it. Offer him 2.5, I doubt hart is willing to go any higher, but that would be a great hire IMO. Howland would be a hell of a fall back and probably cost similar or less.

Edit: looking further I found he currently makes 2.5 so maybe he would be out of our price range.

Last edited:
I can't argue a bit with Buzz Williams. In fact I think Forde should have had him on the list instead of Pastner. Give that guy a bigger job and think he can get it done.

Buzz Williams doesn't get mentioned enough IMO.

Younger guy, very energetic, has done an amazing job at Marquette and isn't paid all that high. He's at 1.8 million from what I found, Marquette isn't some blue blood program, in not familiar with their facilities but I would guess ours are at least comparable.

IMO he should be the first call now that I've thought about it. Offer him 2.5, I doubt hart is willing to go any higher, but that would be a great hire IMO. Howland would be a hell of a fall back and probably cost similar or less.

Edit: looking further I found he currently makes 2.5 so maybe he would be out of our price range.

Can't believe that I actually agree with you on this but I like him as well however he is probably to expensive for us considering who is running things in the nut house these days.

I have a feeling Bruce would accept a lower salary than the other hot candidates just to get back in the saddle again and once again don the Orange jacket.

i guess because arkansas got bret bielema to leave and tennessee could pay more than wisconsin if they wanted too.

They might be able to pull Calimari if they "wanted to". But like I said Bo Ryan is making almost 2.2 million per year.

Also SEC in football > than big 10. In basketball ehhh not so much. :)

Can't believe that I actually agree with you on this but I like him as well however he is probably to expensive for us considering who is running things in the nut house these days.

I think buzz would be a Homerun hire, as you said though I doubt Hart's willing to make a splash hire.

I think buzz would be a Homerun hire, as you said though I doubt Hart's willing to make a splash hire.

Which is a shame. Thing is if they do show CCM the door and Hart hit a home run on some long shot coach, he would have to pay the money within a year or two anyway.

I don't understand the logic of going on the cheap.... Just go hire someone with some punch and credibility and pay more than the guy makes now by say 25-35%. If a less known coach that you get on the cheap succeeds, you have to pay him sooner than later..... but I think Im preaching to the choir.

VN Store

Back