HC options

bnhunt

I am so incredibly pissed right now with what I just witnessed that I have to take my mind off it, so what are our HC options at end of year. CCM is just not an NCAA tourney coach and his record bears that out. Here's who I would look at (assuming CBP not an option):

1. Smart - make him your first call and make him tell you no. VCU can't be his dream job.
2. Howland - I know he's more of a defensive guy, but you can't argue with his track record.
3. Frank - I know his NBA record is mediocre at best, but I think recruits would respond to someone with his NBA background.

Who else?

Smart isn't leaving VCU. He's turned down better jobs than UT. He's getting 4-star recruits to go there now.

We've tried to get Lawrence Frank before but he hasn't been interested. I don't think he would be this time, either.

I'm on Team Howland. He's the most accomplished coach that I think we could get. Could do a lot worse than a guy with 3 straight Final Fours on his resume, that's for sure.

Reactions: 7 people
I really love the idea of pearl returning.

Is Pearl even a realistic option? If he is, then we need to pick up the damn phone when his show cause ends. We know one thing with Pearl - he will get us to the tourney EVERY year. Can you imagine the buzz it would create and he would know it's his last shot and I have no concern about him screwing up with NCAA. It sounds like some people more in the know say it isn't happening.

Reactions: 3 people
Smart isn't leaving VCU. He's turned down better jobs than UT. He's getting 4-star recruits to go there now.

We've tried to get Lawrence Frank before but he hasn't been interested. I don't think he would be this time, either.

I'm on Team Howland. He's the most accomplished coach that I think we could get. Could do a lot worse than a guy with 3 straight Final Fours on his resume, that's for sure.

We have never tried to get Lawrence Frank.

Reactions: 1 person
Dave Hart would be wise to drive back up I-75 for his second impact hire at UT. Xavier's Chris Mack worthy of a look. 44 years old, tireless recruiter, connects well with everyone around the program.

Reactions: 4 people

What is VCU paying Smart? Surely, we can at least double it without blinking. He cannot like VCU that much.

Dave Hart would be wise to drive back up I-75 for his second impact hire at UT. Xavier's Chris Mack worthy of a look. 44 years old, tireless recruiter, connects well with everyone around the program.

This would be an acceptable hire, IMO.

What is VCU paying Smart? Surely, we can at least double it without blinking. He cannot like VCU that much.

We can, but we won't. Anyone expecting UT to break the bank on a basketball hire is hoping for an unprecedented move from our AD.

Reactions: 2 people
We can, but we won't. Anyone expecting UT to break the bank on a basketball hire is hoping for an unprecedented move from our AD.

Exactly. I'm sure Illinois and UCLA offered more or similar money. No way he leaves VCU unless he gets a really really nice contract.

VN Store

Back