Nice job basketball Vols

1985Vols

For playing flat for 39 minutes and laying an egg, AGAIN! Coach Martin obviously doesn't have a clue when it comes to motivating his team. This has been a trend for 3 years. No excuse to shoot FT's like a bunch of grade school girls!! Ridiculous!

Reactions: 12 people
Same problems as last year, some new ones too. Can't judge a season off 1 game, but considering how much emphasis has been placed on winning early, this will inevitably draw some immediate criticism to ccm. No excuses this year, just go out there and use our talent and get us to the tourney cuonzo

Reactions: 3 people
Understand it's one game, however, very disheartening to see the same issues that we have seen for over 2 years with CCM as coach. No sign that it will ever change and I have supported CCM but my support is dwindling.

Reactions: 5 people
Same embarrassment of a team we put on the floor least season!

Coach completely at fault.... Can some one explain to him your allowed to make adjustments? Play different styles??

Reactions: 6 people
1 game, yes, but still the same problems.

Still lackluster offensively, still can't shoot, still can't make free throws.

Just makes me wonder what they worked on all offseason. I know xavier is a fine team and that they were trying to win too (something people often forget), but I never feel like there's any true improvement from season to season. Least of all tonight. It's a problem.

I wanted to see improvement in our weakest areas, and I wanted to see us start a season looking good for a change. Dammit guys.

Reactions: 4 people

Just makes me wonder what they worked on all offseason. I know xavier is a fine team and that they were trying to win too (something people often forget), but I never feel like there's any true improvement from season to season. Least of all tonight. It's a problem.

I wanted to see improvement in our weakest areas, and I wanted to see us start a season looking good for a change. Dammit guys.

Agree with all of the above. It's getting hard to give Martin a hall pass for these early season debacles.

Reactions: 3 people

At least KY lost...

Reactions: 1 person
Should've recruited a shooter. I can understand being a new coach, inheriting players, but he's had 2 full recruiting seasons.he's big into half court defense, but there's no point if you can't score. Ut is a better team than Xavier.

And yet I bet some of you still love Butch.

Yeah I know, 3rd year, but we'll see.

Right. Because inheriting 3 years of Dooley and the disastrous Kiffin situation is the equivalent of a 3rd year basketball coach who followed the most successful coach of the modern UT era.

Should've recruited a shooter. I can understand being a new coach, inheriting players, but he's had 2 full recruiting seasons.he's big into half court defense, but there's no point if you can't score. Ut is a better team than Xavier.

5 star Robert Hubbs is supposed to be the " shooter". I'm sure he will develop into one but we shouldn't have to rely on a freshman with all the upper class men on this team.

This is a loss I'm perfectly ok with. First game of the season, against a perennial tournament team, on the road, lots of new faces in our squad, we play horridly with only one guy really showing up, shoot 25% from the line, and lose only by four. We learn from it, take our lesson, and it's a memory for how things can go if we don't come out ready. That loss will create some bigger wins later...including against XU when we face them again next month.

Right. Because inheriting 3 years of Dooley and the disastrous Kiffin situation is the equivalent of a 3rd year basketball coach who followed the most successful coach of the modern UT era.

Yeah because Pearl left the cupboard loaded, didn't he?

5 star Robert Hubbs is supposed to be the " shooter". I'm sure he will develop into one but we shouldn't have to rely on a freshman with all the upper class men on this team.

Hubbs was awful tonight. This was my first time to see him play this season and I wasn't impressed at all. Usually 5 star guys are ready to come right in and make an impression.

The defense wasn't even impressive tonight. Too many free runs to the basket, no one on the perimeter could stop dribble penetration, too many 2nd and 3rd chances, Stokes was abused in the post. Not good.

Reactions: 2 people
That's a poorly coached team. Looks just like last year's poorly coached team..

CCM was totally out coached tonight, as usual. Xavier's coach said before the game that TN wanted to run and that they were not going to let them run and they didn't.:snoring:

This is a loss I'm perfectly ok with. First game of the season, against a perennial tournament team, on the road, lots of new faces in our squad, we play horridly with only one guy really showing up, shoot 25% from the line, and lose only by four. We learn from it, take our lesson, and it's a memory for how things can go if we don't come out ready. That loss will create some bigger wins later...including against XU when we face them again next month.

Ummm. We've had several of these kind of mind-numbing losses the last couple of years...they should know the drill.

VN Store

Back