Five Stats: Southern Indiana Edition

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
For every game, I'll post five stats that were important for Tennessee, either from an individual or team wise.

1. 26 offensive rebounds- Tennessee absolutely dominated the offensive boards with 26 tonight. Their length is great, but they crash the boards hard. Everybody went after it tonight. Offensive rebounds create extra possessions, and UT needs everyone.

2. 6 second half personal fouls- The refs swallowed the whistles some in the second half, but UT did a much better job moving their feet. They got too handsy in the first half.

3. 12 misses shots from Jordan McRae- This won't happen against and I'm not worried about it.

4. 0 three pointers for Southern Indiana- Tennessee put more outside pressure than they did in the previous exhibition. They really extended their defense tonight, something Cuonzo hasn't done in the pass.

5. 28 free throws attempted by Tennessee- When you attack the basket, good things happen. Tennessee did that and should do that. It's their strength.

Reactions: 5 people
6. 5 turnovers- We take care of the ball like that and this is gonna be one tough team to beat.

I tend to believe that stat is a bit of an anomaly just like the poor 3pt percentage from tonight. Neither will actually be that good or bad all year, but more of a happy medium.

I like this goal. Keep the turnovers as low as possible. Keep this at the top of the list.

I tend to believe that stat is a bit of an anomaly just like the poor 3pt percentage from tonight. Neither will actually be that good or bad all year, but more of a happy medium.

I posted earlier today, in Martin's 2 years when we have <12 turnovers in a game we are 20-3. The system Martin runs you have to take care of the ball, you do that, combined with his defensive mindset and our ability to get offensive rebounds and you're hard to beat when you take care of the ball.

Reactions: 1 person
I posted earlier today, in Martin's 2 years when we have <12 turnovers in a game we are 20-3. The system Martin runs you have to take care of the ball, you do that, combined with his defensive mindset and our ability to get offensive rebounds and you're hard to beat when you take care of the ball.

Also makes you a tough team to beat come tournament time!!!

If Cuonzo has a defensive mindset, he's having trouble transferring it to his charges. The Vols had one of the lowest ratings on defense in the nation last year.

If Cuonzo has a defensive mindset, he's having trouble transferring it to his charges. The Vols had one of the lowest ratings on defense in the nation last year.

Correct, and he wasn't happy with that if you paid attention. However having Trae Golden, Skylar Mcbee and Kenny Hall log big minutes will drastically decrease the productivity level of any defense, I expect it to be much better this year.

Correct, and he wasn't happy with that if you paid attention. However having Trae Golden, Skylar Mcbee and Kenny Hall log big minutes will drastically decrease the productivity level of any defense, I expect it to be much better this year.

Mcbee wasn't actually that bad on D. The other two you mentioned were definitely not stellar defenders.

Mcbee wasn't actually that bad on D. The other two you mentioned were definitely not stellar defenders.

Mcbee would never be mistaken for a good defender, sound technique but just too slow to do what Martin wanted.

Mcbee would never be mistaken for a good defender, sound technique but just too slow to do what Martin wanted.

Well let's put it this way.....if Richardson wasn't on the court, McBee was asked to guard their best offensive guard. Now you can debate what that means, but I will say he was pretty solid (I'm not saying he was great). You just shouldn't have put him in that quote with Golden or Hall.

Well let's put it this way.....if Richardson wasn't on the court, McBee was asked to guard their best offensive guard. Now you can debate what that means, but I will say he was pretty solid (I'm not saying he was great). You just shouldn't have put him in that quote with Golden or Hall.

The other choice was golden, enough said.

If you think Mcbee is on the same level defensively as Barton or Richardson that's fine, I disagree.

If you think Mcbee is on the same level defensively as Barton or Richardson that's fine, I disagree.

No one said McBee was as good on D as Richardson.

Personally, I don't think CCM's statement about McBee's D was "coach speak" as there was absolutely no reason to give him playing time when he wasn't hitting the outside shot if indeed he was a defensive liability.

As Barton's played a total of 0 games as a Vol, I think its premature to use him as a comparative for anything UT basketball.

Never have understood all the McBee haters on here. He walked on to the team, hustled every time the coach gave him PT, and hit some huge shots for us over his career. No one ever said he was a all time great player, but certainly not deserving of the put downs by volnation. If he sucked so bad, why did 2 different coaching staffs decide to give him PT instead of burying him at the end of the bench?

Because there weren't many other options....you think Mcbee would be playing over Hubbs if he was still here?

I'm not "hating" on Mcbee, I like the kid and his family. That doesn't mean I can't be critical of him though, in my opinion our defense will be better this year, time will tell.

I won't be surprised to see much better defense this year either.

Because there weren't many other options....you think Mcbee would be playing over Hubbs if he was still here?

I'm not "hating" on Mcbee, I like the kid and his family. That doesn't mean I can't be critical of him though, in my opinion our defense will be better this year, time will tell.

Did you just ask if our walk on 2* guard would start over a 5* potential NBA player....the facts are that he did get alot of playing time on last yrs team.

VN Store

Back