The Southern Indiana Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. The defensive length on this team is going to give every opponent big fits this season. They know how to use it in the paint. Southern Indiana tried to attack the basket all night and UT gave them hell.

2. Look, I'm not the coach, so I'm not at every practice, but man it's going to be hard not to give Pops Ndiaye minutes after his performance. He's very active on both ends, he rebounded well, and he hit a left handed hook Yemi never even thought about trying. He affected a ton of shots tonight. I don't know how you can not play him after that performance.

3. Jarnell Stokes looks great and is going to have an All-American season. Just wanted to let you guys know.

4. A big issue is the shooting. I figured it was going to be better, and one game doesn't mean a lot, but 3-21 is a big problem. Barton will help, but Hubbs has to be able to hit those outside shots.

5. It seemed pretty interesting that Cuonzo gave first half minutes to everyone in contention at the 4. Armani played more wing today. Reese/Edwards/Davis all had positives. Edwards was active on D. Reese attacked the boards, and Davis affected multiple shots.

6. Although what I don't like from Davis is that he gives too easy post position. If he's going to play the 4 this year, that has to get better or he'll be picked on all year.

7. Bernard King Player of the Game- Armani Moore. Lots of candidates tonight. Stokes probably should get it, but his lack of minutes hurt his stats. Moore was everywhere. Two blocks, a steal, four points, six boards, three assists, and excellent defense. He was everywhere tonight and his weak side defense was looking great. Love what he brings to the table.

8. I was disappointed in the ball movement tonight. Too many times it moved without purpose. You have to drive and kick. UT didn't do that. They shot really bad tonight. 36.4% won't cut it and Stokes/Maymon have to get more touches in the paint.

9. I was also disappointed in the bad entry passes. UT did not use the bounce pass, nor did they fake a move and make a pass. They tried going to the corners, which I liked, but it still didn't work very effectively. What I would like to see is one dribble left or right, fake the pass up, and then give it to the hand Maymon/Stokes is calling for with a bounce pass.

10. Anyways, it was a good win for UT. They attacked the basket, and their D looks excellent, even despite the fouling, which every team will battle with this season. I like this team. They look very talented. I want to see better shooting and better ball movement, but I'm not worried about it yet. Everyone enjoy the season. It's gonna be a good one.

Go Vols!!!!!! :hi:

Reactions: 9 people
Whats up with Q? He didnt play any in the first game either. Injured? Nice write up! I always look forward to seeing these especially when I miss the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Thought you were gonna learn to spell both first and last name :)

Good write-up, Z. I got back to my computer in time to see much of the 2nd half, but the shooting was atrocious. They always seemed off balance or rushed. A lot of that goes to ball movement, as you said. Will not cut it in SEC play. X is screwed, nonetheless.

Thought you were gonna learn to spell both first and last name :)

Good write-up, Z. I got back to my computer in time to see much of the 2nd half, but the shooting was atrocious. They always seemed off balance or rushed. A lot of that goes to ball movement, as you said. Will not cut it in SEC play. X is screwed, nonetheless.

At least they attacked the basket, that's the good news, but yes, the lack of skip passes and drive and kicks were a little worrisome.

They said during the broadcast that Martin wanted to keep it simple on the offensive side to not give anything away.

I've said in other threads, Armani just balls gonna be hard not to give him minutes.

They said during the broadcast that Martin wanted to keep it simple on the offensive side to not give anything away.

Possible, and not completely unsurprising, but shooting 36% doesn't exactly scream confidence in me, ya know.

I've said in other threads, Armani just balls gonna be hard not to give him minutes.

With someone that versatile and someone that plays so hard, you have to give him minutes.

At least they attacked the basket, that's the good news, but yes, the lack of skip passes and drive and kicks were a little worrisome.

Funny when you look at it and project to KY or someone. Glad we did, but the outside shot has to be present when we get to the meat of the season or that inside pass won't be available.

We also had our bench in the majority of the game. The shooting percentage is going to be better when we have our normal line up in, jmo.

We missed WAY too many 'gimmes'. Missed layups, couldn't knock down the open 3, and bad offensive spacing all effected our shot %

With someone that versatile and someone that plays so hard, you have to give him minutes.

I agree 100%. Guys like Armani don't need a position really, you just say go play. A guy like that will help you win games.

Hubbs and McRae were a combined 8-28fg 2-12 3pt....I'm guessing you won't see them combine for that bad of a shooting stat line the rest of the season. The early foul trouble for Stokes hurt us a bit as well offensively, and it's obvious Martin TRIED to make things difficult at times.

Going forward you won't see lineups up there with Reese, Davis and Pops for example, he'll have scorers out there and Barton getting back will only help.

We also had our bench in the majority of the game. The shooting percentage is going to be better when we have our normal line up in, jmo.

We missed WAY too many 'gimmes'. Missed layups, couldn't knock down the open 3, and bad offensive spacing all effected our shot %

Having the bench play a lot was not an accident. Knocking down the open three will help any team anywhere IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
I am glad we got to see some Point-Maymon tonight. Really helps out a freshman pg to have a big like Maymon be able to bring support on back court ball pressure like that.

I am glad we got to see some Point-Maymon tonight. Really helps out a freshman pg to have a big like Maymon be able to bring support on back court ball pressure like that.

Noticed that Maymon looked quick tonight and had no problem handling ball pressure.

Possible, and not completely unsurprising, but shooting 36% doesn't exactly scream confidence in me, ya know.

36% from the field, 65% from the line, and win by 31. Defense was really good. Shooting is a concern though.

Noticed that Maymon looked quick tonight and had no problem handling ball pressure.

yeah, the guy has obviously worked his butt off to get his body right after the infection debacle.

I love seeing him and Stokes combine for 18 pts, 14 boards and 2 steals in just 30 minutes of play between the two of them.

1. The defensive length on this team is going to give every opponent big fits this season. They know how to use it in the paint. Southern Indiana tried to attack the basket all night and UT gave them hell.

2. Look, I'm not the coach, so I'm not at every practice, but man it's going to be hard not to give Pops Ndiaye minutes after his performance. He's very active on both ends, he rebounded well, and he hit a left handed hook Yemi never even thought about trying. He affected a ton of shots tonight. I don't know how you can not play him after that performance. Agree he had a good game but don't get carried away - Yemi had a good game or two - but I was more encouraged that he made his free throws than that lucky left handed prayer

3. Jarnell Stokes looks great and is going to have an All-American season. Just wanted to let you guys know. Would have never guessed :)

4. A big issue is the shooting. I figured it was going to be better, and one game doesn't mean a lot, but 3-21 is a big problem. Barton will help, but Hubbs has to be able to hit those outside shots. That was 3 -21 against a directional school - mostly unguarded - shot selection was not good at times either

5. It seemed pretty interesting that Cuonzo gave first half minutes to everyone in contention at the 4. Armani played more wing today. Reese/Edwards/Davis all had positives. Edwards was active on D. Reese attacked the boards, and Davis affected multiple shots. Not really impressed with any of these guys although Davis has some potential - very long

6. Although what I don't like from Davis is that he gives too easy post position. If he's going to play the 4 this year, that has to get better or he'll be picked on all year.

7. Bernard King Player of the Game- Armani Moore. Lots of candidates tonight. Stokes probably should get it, but his lack of minutes hurt his stats. Moore was everywhere. Two blocks, a steal, four points, six boards, three assists, and excellent defense. He was everywhere tonight and his weak side defense was looking great. Love what he brings to the table.Can't argue here - he plays with a lot of heart

8. I was disappointed in the ball movement tonight. Too many times it moved without purpose. You have to drive and kick. UT didn't do that. They shot really bad tonight. 36.4% won't cut it and Stokes/Maymon have to get more touches in the paint. Ball movement was just awful and distribution from the point was nonexistent

9. I was also disappointed in the bad entry passes. UT did not use the bounce pass, nor did they fake a move and make a pass. They tried going to the corners, which I liked, but it still didn't work very effectively. What I would like to see is one dribble left or right, fake the pass up, and then give it to the hand Maymon/Stokes is calling for with a bounce pass.

10. Anyways, it was a good win for UT. They attacked the basket, and their D looks excellent, even despite the fouling, which every team will battle with this season. I like this team. They look very talented. I want to see better shooting and better ball movement, but I'm not worried about it yet. Everyone enjoy the season. It's gonna be a good one.

Go Vols!!!!!! :hi:

No offense to anyone as I know some of these guys are very young - but I think Richardson should be our backup point guard - then you can play Amari in Richardson's spot - the freshman pg I think he name is Thompson right now - is not quick enough to keep up with any sec point guard - hopefully he will improve but lack of speed and footwork are tough to improve on some times

No offense to anyone as I know some of these guys are very young - but I think Richardson should be our backup point guard - then you can play Amari in Richardson's spot - the freshman pg I think he name is Thompson right now - is not quick enough to keep up with any sec point guard - hopefully he will improve but lack of speed and footwork are tough to improve on some times

Thompson can give you 10-15 minutes a game and be productive. If you pair him with either Armani, Jordan, or Josh, then he can guard the weaker guard.

I still don't like McRae playing point. I don't think that's good for the team or his game. Also apparent that we still can't make passes to a big man. Amazing really that players don't know how to make room or create angles to make a pass. Lost art I suppose.

36% from the field, 65% from the line, and win by 31. Defense was really good. Shooting is a concern though.

And it doesn't help with these hand check fouls. Getting into a rhythm is going to be tough starting out.

VN Store

Back