VolNation Basketball Mailbag

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
With the season coming up, I figured the casual fans can ask questions here and we will try to answer them.

What you all interested in?

I really want the Vols to push the pace and get up and down the floor.I also want them to press more

What kind of role will we see the newcomers play? Hubbs Davis Thompson and Pops?

What should we expect from Barton?

What kind of role will we see the newcomers play? Hubbs Davis Thompson and Pops?

What should we expect from Barton?

Jmo

Hubbs will likely be the 6th man, play 15-20 minutes a night behind McRae and Richardson. He'll have freshman struggles but I would also expect him to show out a couple times.

Davis will likely get decent minutes at the backup 4 spot behind Maymon. He won't see as many minutes as Hubbs probably, but will still get some minutes.

Thompson will back up Barton at PG, probably somewhere around 10-15 minutes a game. Similar to Hubbs I would expect he will have a couple breakout games, should be good experience for him going into next year.

Pops will see the least minutes out of the 4 guys. He will probably play in about 20 of the 31 games, if that many, and probably average around 5 minutes a game in those he appears.

Reactions: 1 person
Guys, I have a couple questions from the crowd.

You sir, in the brown.

"Tell me everything you know about AJ Davis. Will he be in the rotation?"

And ma'am. You, with the orange purse.. Go ahead with your question also.

"Is it true Barton likes to push the ball and is considered a solid 3-point shooter? What are his weaknesses."

why can't UT recruit like Kentucky

Will UT when the National Championship this year

When will Pearl be back

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks Jimmy.

You sir, in the brown.

"Is it true Barton likes to push the ball and is considered a solid 3-point shooter? What are his weaknesses."

Davis is a lengthy outside-inside threat with playmaking ability. He's a tweeter at 6'8/210 and doesn't have his niche yet. Right now he is going to get some minutes but not a tin. Has to be a better rebounder.

Antonio isn't a great passer/ball handler, nor the scoring threat like Trae Golden. He can shoot it and play D and likes to play fast. He will push the pace. Hopefully he improves his ball handling.

How much popcorn will be sold in TBA?

Will they ever sell beer/alcohol in TBA?

Will the blue hairs ever stand up?

When is the Fall Signing Date? Why does it always just seem like an afterthought compared to the Football signing date?

Will we be able to control the boards with the talent and depth we have at the 4/5 spots?

This is a major key to winning allowing/scoring second chance points, especially with the turnover proven teams I've seen from CCM

Will we be able to control the boards with the talent and depth we have at the 4/5 spots?

This is a major key to winning allowing/scoring second chance points, especially with the turnover proven teams I've seen from CCM

When Stokes and Maymon are in, should have no problem. Even with just stokes, he creates so much room that can allow guys like JRich and Jordy to come in and crash. Plus Armani attacks rebounds as well.

As Andre Benjamin rapped 'Well, well, well, yes and no".

Maymon/Stokes will absolutely crush it and dominate. Tennessee will be great at controlling the rebounding games. Jarnell was the third best offensive rebounder in the country last year.

However, can Moore/Davis/Ndiaye help out in that department? I don't think they can. Moore is solid, but Davis has a lot of room to grow and I got to think if the coaching staff thought Ndiaye could rebound, he'd get more minutes.

When is the Fall Signing Date? Why does it always just seem like an afterthought compared to the Football signing date?

November 14-20th. Players sign early and most of the time teams are done with there recruiting so there isn't much hype leading up to signing day like football.

With the season coming up, I figured the casual fans can ask questions here and we will try to answer them.

What you all interested in?

I'm relatively new to the board....respectfully it would help if I knew either who you are or 'what you are' so I understand your perspective...IE are you referring to questions RE basketball, UT basketball or the board? ?

As Andre Benjamin rapped 'Well, well, well, yes and no".

Maymon/Stokes will absolutely crush it and dominate. Tennessee will be great at controlling the rebounding games. Jarnell was the third best offensive rebounder in the country last year.

However, can Moore/Davis/Ndiaye help out in that department? I don't think they can. Moore is solid, but Davis has a lot of room to grow and I got to think if the coaching staff thought Ndiaye could rebound, he'd get more minutes.

I think Moore helps a ton in this department, especially in cases where we choose to go with a smaller lineup (either by choice or by foul trouble/injury). Having a guy his size (6-5) that can defend the 1-4 and not completely concede the rebounding battle is a huge plus.

Davis, I haven't really seen enough to know yet. Rebounding is mostly about effort and positioning. If he can give that, he'll be serviceable.

Pops is a work in progress, and I'll wait until I've seen more to pass judgement. He probably won't play much with Stokes, Maymon, Davis, & Moore eating most of those minutes.

I'm relatively new to the board....respectfully it would help if I knew either who you are or 'what you are' so I understand your perspective...IE are you referring to questions RE basketball, UT basketball or the board? ?

Go ahead and ask him anything you want.

Last edited:

You sir, in the brown.

Barton likes to push the ball a lot. I'd call him an "opportunistic scorer"; meaning he doesn't create a lot with the ball in his hands. Instead, he has a really good eye for easy baskets. Either putting himself in a good position for an open three kick-out from a teammate, or a layup when the defense isn't set or when he's beaten them down the court.

He won't jack 10 threes a game like McRae, but he'll shoot really well. I expect that he may average double-digit points purely by virtue of his 3 pt stroke.

Barton's weakness is that he's not a true PG. In the 3 years he's been at Memphis, he's never been asked to create for his teammates, and he mainly played off the ball on offense. I would expect that UT's offense will mainly flow through Maymon or McRae and Barton will simply be responsible for getting the ball up-court. Also, his defense wasn't great at times. He sometimes struggled keeping quick PGs in front of him, and sometimes lost shooters away from the ball.

Barton likes to push the ball a lot. I'd call him an "opportunistic scorer"; meaning he doesn't create a lot with the ball in his hands. Instead, he has a really good eye for easy baskets. Either putting himself in a good position for an open three kick-out from a teammate, or a layup when the defense isn't set or when he's beaten them down the court.

He won't jack 10 threes a game like McRae, but he'll shoot really well. I expect that he may average double-digit points purely by virtue of his 3 pt stroke.

Barton's weakness is that he's not a true PG. In the 3 years he's been at Memphis, he's never been asked to create for his teammates, and he mainly played off the ball on offense. I would expect that UT's offense will mainly flow through Maymon or McRae and Barton will simply be responsible for getting the ball up-court. Also, his defense wasn't great at times. He sometimes struggled keeping quick PGs in front of him, and sometimes lost shooters away from the ball.

My guess is that the offense runs through Stokes and McRae vs Maymon and McRae, but I agree with the rest.

My guess is that the offense runs through Stokes and McRae vs Maymon and McRae, but I agree with the rest.

I just see Stokes as the "destination", not the means in which to get there. McRae and Maymon can distribute the ball; Maymon from the elbow, McRae from anywhere. Jarnell needs to be on the low block, and needs to score, not pass.

Once Stokes has the ball on the block, he needs to put a shot up unless he's doubled. If he's doubled, then kick it out. I don't see a lot of teams being able to double him, now that Maymon is back in the lineup though.

I just see Stokes as the "destination", not the means in which to get there. McRae and Maymon can distribute the ball; Maymon from the elbow, McRae from anywhere. Jarnell needs to be on the low block, and needs to score, not pass.

Once Stokes has the ball on the block, he needs to put a shot up unless he's doubled. If he's doubled, then kick it out. I don't see a lot of teams being able to double him, now that Maymon is back in the lineup though.

Gotcha. I agree on Stokes being the destination. I wasn't sure what you meant by "running the offense through".

You're right in saying not many teams will be able Stokes with Maymon in the lineup, and the two should combine for an average of 30 points and 15 rebs on any given night.

I'm just your regular fan. I do think I have some expertise in basketball but by no means am a true expert.

ZJC: Do you really think the interior of the Vols has the size to hold up to the massive interior of KY? I think Pops will have to be critical in those games, especially with KY's Cauley-Stein and Johnson. Some big dudes, there...

ZJC: Do you really think the interior of the Vols has the size to hold up to the massive interior of KY? I think Pops will have to be critical in those games, especially with KY's Cauley-Stein and Johnson. Some big dudes, there...

Defensively yeah they do. KY's bigs have moves but don't have consistency yet. Johnson is rough around the edges but could provide rebounding problems for the Vols.

Offensively might be the issue. If WCS decides to show up he's a great defender. Johnson needs a lot of work to develop. He can rebound but he needs some work.

Right now I'd take Maymon/Stokes over WCS/Johnson in a matchup. But just barely.

Yes. Although Randle is a matchup nightmare.

I'm more worried about UK's length on D against our bigs.

VN Store

Back