The All-Time Tennessee Twelve

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
This is not just your typical best players of all time list. This is a "If we started a team today, what would our team be." This means positions, fits, etc.

Also, we are going with players since the late 60's. It's hard for me to pick somebody from 1953. Here we go.

The Starters

PG- Tony White 6'2/170 Charlotte, NC 1983-1987

White was a scoring PG that you haven't seen before. He was ahead of his time. He was SEC player in 1987 and was a two time first team All-SEC. He was electric and holds the all time school record for points in a game with 51.

SG- Allan Houston 6'6/200 Louisville, KY 1988-1993

This was a tough one, but we are going with Houston, who might be the school's second best player. He scored 2,000 points in three seasons, and if not for terrible teams, Houston probably goes down as one of the ten best players in SEC history. Still the school's all time leading scorer and came close to 3,000 points in four years.

SF- Bernard King 6'7/205 Brooklyn, NY 1974-1977

The best player in school history. A hall of famer. Maybe the greatest player in SEC history. Nobody could score like him. He was a great NBA player also, but let's just put it this way. He put up 1,900 points and 1,000 rebounds in three seasons. He was simply the King.

PF- Ernie Grunfeld 6'6/215 Forest Hills, NY 1973-1977

A four time All-SEC performer at Tennessee, Grunfeld is probably the third or fourth best player in school history. Believe it or not, he was Tennessee's first gold medal Olympian with the 1976 USA basketball team. At the time of his graduation, Grunfeld was the second leading scorer in SEC history behind Pete Maravich.

C- Tom Boerwinkle 7'0/260 Independence, Ohio 1965-1968

The first 7'0 footer in Tennessee history, he averaged a double-double in back to back seasons. He was a beast on both ends, and two time All-SEC first team. To tell you how good he was, he's the highest NBA draft pick in Tennessee history and his second all time in rebounding for the Chicago Bulls franchise. "The Bull" did not mess around.

The Bench

PG- Jimmy England 6'1/170 Knoxville, TN 1968-1971

A lost legend for Tennessee. This point guard averaged 20 points and 5.5 assists per game his senior season and was a two-time All-SEC first team player for the Vols. He was nicknamed "Mr. Clutch" by his teammates.

SG- Chris Lofton 6'2/200 Maysville, KY 2004-2008

Lofton is the greatest shooter in school history. He might just be the greatest shooter in NCAA history. Lofton goes down as an All-American and three time All-SEC first teamer, along with 2007 SEC player of the year to his name, and holds about every single three point record in school history.

SF- Dale Ellis 6'7/205 Marietta, GA 1979-1983

One of Tennessee's top five players. The man could score. He was a two time first team All-American, two time SEC player of the year, and three time first team All-SEC at Tennessee, that's how good he was. He's also the second best NBA player in school history. Ellis was a 6'7/205 SF and finished his career with an absolutely stunning 59.6% field goal percentage. Dear God.

PF- Dyron Nix 6'7/215 Meridian, Mississippi 1985-1989

I love rebounding and that is what Nix was all about. A very good athlete that ended up averaging 8.4 boards per game for his career. He was an efficient scorer with two 20 ppg seasons in his pocket, plus a menace on the defensive end. Nix was a two time first team All-SEC. Nix is an underrated player that gets overlooked.

C- Reggie Johnson 6'9/210 Ellenwood, GA 1976-1980

When you talk about efficient, you see his name in the history books. A two time All-American and three time first team All-SEC performer. He was a career 18/8 player with a 58% shooting percentage for his career. Johnson was a beast.

The Extras

G- Mike Edwards 6'2/180 Greenfield, IN 1970-1973

"The Greenfield Gunner" was a two time first team All-SEC player and co-SEC player of the year in 1972, he was one of the first pure shooters in the school's history. He shot 45% for his career and is one of those players you wonder about what he could have done with a three point line.

F/C- Wayne Chism 6'9/240 Bolivar, TN 2006-2010

He might not have the stats or accolades, but he's one of the school's best defenders, which gives him the edge over Ron Slay and Howard Wood. Chism was a first time All-SEC choice in 2010, and led the Vols to their first and only Elite Eight in school history. He averaged 13/7.5 his last two years at Tennessee.

PG: Tony White "the wizard"
SG: Allan Houston
SF: Dale Ellis
PF: Bernard King
C: Dyron Nix

Bench:
6th man: Chris Lofton
7: Ernie Grunfeld
8: Tobias Harris
9: Wayne Chism
10: CJ Watson
11: Marcus Haislip
12: Ron Slay

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
PG: Tony White "the wizard"
SG: Allan Houston
SF: Dale Ellis
PF: Bernard King
C: Dyron Nix

Bench:
6th man: Chris Lofton
7: Ernie Grunfeld
8: Tobias Harris
9: Wayne Chism
10: CJ Watson
11: Marcus Haislip
12: Ron Slay

Grew up with Marcus Haislip. Love him to death. But all-time 12? Idk man. I'd take Steve Hamer over him. Glad this site is anonymous. Marcus wouldn't appreciate me very much for saying that!

Grew up with Marcus Haislip. Love him to death. But all-time 12? Idk man. I'd take Steve Hamer over him. Glad this site is anonymous. Marcus wouldn't appreciate me very much for saying that!

Lol I thought about starting him, but I thought Nix was better

after this season do you guys think stokes should be among the all time greats.

It is unlikely but not impossible. IMO If he led us to our first final 4 while averaging a double double, he would be consider a top 10 big man for Tennessee. But he isn't close to Ernie, Bernie, Dyron, Reggie, or Big Tom in terms of talent and impact. IMO

Last edited:
I got a question...Lofton or Houston? I'm talking about college not what Houston done in the NBA.

I got a question...Lofton or Houston? I'm talking about college not what Houston done in the NBA.

Houston. IMO. In watching Allan he was a better ball handler and finished better. Lofton was the better shooter.

Houston. IMO. In watching Allan he was a better ball handler and finished better. Lofton was the better shooter .

And it's not really close. On roughly 200 fewer attempts, Houston shot 42.4% from 3-point line for his four-year career to Lofton's 42.2%. So, the one area most people would guess Lofton had Houston beat, he still falls short by the slimmest of margins.

Houston was a better finisher, a better ball-handler, rebounder, and better passer (actually averaged 5 assists/game over his jr and sr seasons despite being scoring option #1, 2, & 3).

C-Lo was great, but very one-dimensional in comparison to Houston.

Reactions: 2 people
I will say C-Lo was better at creating his shot out of necessity at 6-2 (generously) vs Houston, who was 6-6. Lofton might have had more range as a result as well. Again, out of necessity.

Makes me laugh seeing ANYONE putting Ernie Grunfeld on the bench over anyone...The man averaged 25.3 ppg...As far as a starting 5 goes...Bernard King, Ernie Grunfeld, Dale Ellis, Allan Houston and Tony White...It doesn't get better than that.

Reactions: 4 people
Can't argue with that list really. Gary Carter was a really good player too along with Howard Wood. Greg Bell and Ed Gray weren't half bad either.

Makes me laugh seeing ANYONE putting Ernie Grunfeld on the bench over anyone...The man averaged 25.3 ppg...As far as a starting 5 goes...Bernard King, Ernie Grunfeld, Dale Ellis, Allan Houston and Tony White...It doesn't get better than that.

Very good. I'd probably lose Houston and play Reggie Johnson.

Reactions: 1 person

Agree with that. Except I am clearly in the minority in that I would start Lofton over Houston. Houston's teams didn't win a darn thing and Lofton is a big reason his teams won a lot of huge games they probably shouldn't. Winning means a lot.

DeVoe. He doesn't need to recruit because the team is being handed to him and he was excellent his first 5 years in preparation and in-game tactics. Plus he won NCAA tourney games, which Mears couldn't do with a bunch of all Americans on his teams.

VN Store

Back