What are your pre season thoughts regarding coach Martin...

Ducreux

What are your pre season thoughts regarding coach Martin...this isn't intended to bash or to praise, but hopefully be objective and reasoned....I think we all want the same for the program and thats for it to flourish, win games, and everyone have a positive experience.

Last edited:
All I know is he might be in hot water if the Vols don't get to the tourney. That being said, I think he leads the Vols to at least one win, maybe even sweet 16 with the right seeding.

He's got some good young players mixed in with some vets. Definitely no excuses for not having success.

He's a good coach. I wish him the best.

I think he has the program headed in the right direction. I really like this team and expect good things from them. I like Martin as a coach and believe he knows what he is doing. A fast start (unlike the last couple of years) is extremely important to me continuing these thoughts. I believe this team will get a fast start and make the NCAA tournament. Just making the tournament is not what I want from this team. I believe some damage needs to be done in it.

Assuming there's no major injuries...

This team should make the tourney with relative ease, and should be playing for seeding the last couple weeks, not trying to play their way in.

If they miss the tourney completely then I will have lost any confidence I have in Martin, and hope for a coaching change.

Reactions: 1 person
He's got the team.
I'm interested in seeing as a young coach how much he can adapt to his players' strengths and how much he is willing to leave the old Purdue mindset behind and GROW.

He's got the team.
I'm interested in seeing as a young coach how much he can adapt to his players' strengths and how much he is willing to leave the old Purdue mindset behind and GROW.

The fact we were running every chance yesterday, and toying with some full court trap it looks like he's on the right path.

Wish I could have seen it.
Was listening but lost feed second half.
How'd our boy AJ do?

Look alright, missed a couple shots you'd expect him to hit. All 3 freshman seemed to come out tight but about half way through second half really loosen up.

He played 22 minutes and had 4pts 3rbd

Moore had 6pts 5rbd 2blk in just 18 minutes

Reese & Pops hardly played, they won't be factors barring injury or FT, and Q didn't make an appearance.

Look alright, missed a couple shots you'd expect him to hit. All 3 freshman seemed to come out tight but about half way through second half really loosen up.

He played 22 minutes and had 4pts 3rbd

Moore had 6pts 5rbd 2blk in just 18 minutes

Reese & Pops hardly played, they won't be factors barring injury or FT, and Q didn't make an appearance.

Now hold on just yet on those 3. You could be right but not necessarily. Last year I expected more from D. Edwards and he kinda struggled and didn't play much. Yesterday I thought his performance in the 2nd half ignited Tennessee towards the blow-out. Obviously he is going to be a big factor for this team coming off the bench. Ditto for those 3 guys. Ndiaye may struggle this year getting adapted and also he didn't play enough for us to gauge whether he can help or not. But lets give it time before we just determine that those guys can't help. Q really helped us last year down the stretch so I think he can certainly help as he matures. JMO.

Edwards was the same yesterday as last year, offensively gifted but lacking on defense, it's why he won't play. There's a reason he didn't get in the game until we were up big late in the 2nd half.

We are gonna play 8-9 guys, that's it, Martin has said that. Some people just aren't gonna get big minutes and IMO it's pretty clear the guys left out will be Pops, Reese, Edwards and Q. That's not saying they won't get in a game at all this year, but they won't see consistent minutes and will likely have multiple games where they play 0 minutes.

Now hold on just yet on those 3. You could be right but not necessarily. Last year I expected more from D. Edwards and he kinda struggled and didn't play much. Yesterday I thought his performance in the 2nd half ignited Tennessee towards the blow-out. Obviously he is going to be a big factor for this team coming off the bench. Ditto for those 3 guys. Ndiaye may struggle this year getting adapted and also he didn't play enough for us to gauge whether he can help or not. But lets give it time before we just determine that those guys can't help. Q really helped us last year down the stretch so I think he can certainly help as he matures. JMO.

I disagree. CCM isn't going to play 12-13 people every game. If yesterday was an indicator of the current pecking order, Chievous, Reese, and Pops won't play much, if any at all, unless they pass someone on the depth chart, we suffer injuries, or foul trouble. Barton didn't play yesterday, so he will be absorbing somewhere around 25 of the extra available minutes yesterday. CCM will be looking to narrow his rotation to 8-9 consistently. The other 4-5 guys will only see spot minutes for the aforementioned reasons.

Edwards was the same yesterday as last year, offensively gifted but lacking on defense, it's why he won't play. There's a reason he didn't get in the game until we were up big late in the 2nd half.

We are gonna play 8-9 guys, that's it, Martin has said that. Some people just aren't gonna get big minutes and IMO it's pretty clear the guys left out will be Pops, Reese, Edwards and Q. That's not saying they won't get in a game at all this year, but they won't see consistent minutes and will likely have multiple games where they play 0 minutes.

Beat me by a minute.

Except for all the fouls, thompson looked like he had a decent game. 4 assists 0 TOs. Who was playing the point while he was on the bench?

Except for all the fouls, thompson looked like he had a decent game. 4 assists 0 TOs. Who was playing the point while he was on the bench?

Look I never said any of those guys will play a whole lot this season. But none of us know for sure. None of us are the coaches and none of us are the ones delving out minutes thankfully. I think Edwards will play more than the other 3 and it looked to me like he is ready to contribute some off of the bench. Q helped us last season so I am not ruling him out at all. And Reese and Ndiaye need to mature and develop and probably won't play much but I am not ruling it out just yet based on 1 exhibition game.

Look I never said any of those guys will play a whole lot this season. But none of us know for sure. None of us are the coaches and none of us are the ones delving out minutes thankfully. I think Edwards will play more than the other 3 and it looked to me like he is ready to contribute some off of the bench. Q helped us last season so I am not ruling him out at all. And Reese and Ndiaye need to mature and develop and probably won't play much but I am not ruling it out just yet based on 1 exhibition game.
OK?

What are your pre season thoughts regarding coach Martin...his is not intended to bash or to praise, hopefully objective and reasoned....I think we all want the same for the program and thats for it to flourish, win games, and everyone have a positive experience.

I think he has proven to be a decent coach with the potential to be a great coach.....I'm a little worried about recruiting bc I don't think we have had a good class yet but it doesn't mean they won't be considered good four yrs from now.

I think this yr has the potential to be special but am worried about his ability to build a program. I would love to be proven wrong.

Look I understand that the aforementioned guys are practice squad players and that there will only be a 9 man rotation or 8 even. But in the course of a 35 game season alot can happen. Sure based on BTOs perfect world scenario he might be right. But thats not the way it works. Those 4 guys or 1or 2 of those 4 guys may be called upon to be in that rotation at some point. And they might play well like Q did down the stretch last season. Nobody on here knows ultimately how its going to all play out because no one on here is a coach or coaches on the UT basketball team and Thank God they dont'.

Look I understand that the aforementioned guys are practice squad players and that there will only be a 9 man rotation or 8 even. But in the course of a 35 game season alot can happen. Sure based on BTOs perfect world scenario he might be right. But thats not the way it works. Those 4 guys or 1or 2 of those 4 guys may be called upon to be in that rotation at some point. And they might play well like Q did down the stretch last season. Nobody on here knows ultimately how its going to all play out because no one on here is a coach or coaches on the UT basketball team and Thank God they dont'.

I think u quoted the wrong guy before

You've got your injury factor and as I expected, a sh!t load of fouls, that say Martin will have to go deeper into his bench this season. As will most coaches.
I'm with ya.

I think u quoted the wrong guy before

I'm not worried about quoting anyone. Last week on here I read from BTO I believe that Armani Moore's minutes were going to go down and be limited. Today I read where someone said based on an exhibition game that he would probably be in the NBA!!!! You know its probably somewhere in between truthfully. We have great depth and talent on this team and I suspect at some point during the season all 15 players on the team will make some plays that we will all enjoy.

McRae was, and josh a little. That's why Hubbs had so many minutes, jordy played a lot of point letting Hubbs play more 2

That's fine, your allowed to have an opinion....I'm just saying, Martin has plainly stated we will only play 8-9 guys. If you think Hubbs is gonna sit so Edwards can at that's your opinion, I just disagree.

I'm not worried about quoting anyone. Last week on here I read from BTO I believe that Armani Moore's minutes were going to go down and be limited. Today I read where someone said based on an exhibition game that he would probably be in the NBA!!!! You know its probably somewhere in between truthfully. We have great depth and talent on this team and I suspect at some point during the season all 15 players on the team will make some plays that we will all enjoy.

Like I said will those guys play at some point, yea most likely, but it's very doubtful all those guys will play big minutes in big games. How many DNP did Reese/Yemi/Q/Edwards have in SEC play last season?

McRae was, and josh a little. That's why Hubbs had so many minutes, jordy played a lot of point letting Hubbs play more 2

Good info.
Kinda limited just looking at the box score.
Thought maybe they played Hubbs so much (29 mins)they were trying to get his motor goin before Xavier.
that explains it.

Jordy. 9 boards. Gonna be a complete player this season.

That's fine, your allowed to have an opinion....I'm just saying, Martin has plainly stated we will only play 8-9 guys. If you think Hubbs is gonna sit so Edwards can at that's your opinion, I just disagree.

No Hubbs will never sit so Edwards can play IMO. I don't know where I ever said that. I believe they play different positions right now. I believe Edwards is at the 4 right now and Hubbs is at the 2 or 3. I think Edwards looks like he might be earning more playing time and could possibly get in the rotation given that he is a senior and seems to have progressed. Hubbs is obviously of Star caliber and could be a great one before he leaves here.

VN Store

Back