Star watchers

Stoked

I know a lot of you on here think that 3 stars aren't any good and are a waste of a scholarship. I'm going back to 2003 and listing players 100-150 that are 3 stars per Rivals that are in the nba or have played or that have been great at UT...

130) Paul Millsap
148) Aaron Gray

131) Rodney Stuckey
146) Chris Lofton :)

100) Darren Collison
111) Terrance Williams

104) Luke Harangody
135) Bobby Maze
150) Dexter Pittman

104) Cam Tatum
142) Lavoy Allen
145) Festus Ezeli

101) Miles Plumlee
113) Kris Jospeh
115) Reggie Jackson
116) Travis Leslie
122) Draymon Green

111) Aaron Craft (not in NBA yet)
121) Marcus Thornton
144) Victor Oladipo

124) Josh Richardson
142) Trey Burke

So don't write players off that are 3 stars!
Not saying don't go after nothing but 3 stars, all I'm saying is there have been some good 3 stars so before you judge a recruit watch them play or watch some highlight film.

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying, but if you put up a list of 4/5 star players from that same time period, that are in the NBA right now, your list would be huge. Stars/Ranking are not the end all when it comes to how good a player will be, but it has been right a whole lot more times than it has been wrong.

Reactions: 1 person
Out of ALL those 5 stars how many are making an impact in the NBA? Also out of ALL of those he has ONE championship to show for it.

For real with all of his one and dones he has only one championship to show for it. You have to get 4 year 3 and 4 star guys every successful program does it. Kansas, Duke, UNC, Michigan State, etc...yes they get 5 stars but only a couple and then build these other 3 star and 4 stars around them!

Could you list all the 3 stars 100-150 that didn't play in the NBA since 2003? You know, for the sake of honest comparison.

For real with all of his one and dones he has only one championship to show for it. You have to get 4 year 3 and 4 star guys every successful program does it. Kansas, Duke, UNC, Michigan State, etc...yes they get 5 stars but only a couple and then build these other 3 star and 4 stars around them!

I would love to have 1 NC in the past 4 years and be in the picture for one the other 3 years.

He lost me when he thought posting 2 out of 50 names in a year proved 3 stars are just as talented as higher stars.

I don't think that's what he meant. He's saying that just because someone is a three star doesn't mean they won't make an impact.

Reactions: 2 people

He has only had Rose and the Kentucky guys as one and dones.....so he is winning a championship 25% of the time.....final fours 50% of the time and an elite eight.....you do realize we have only made one elite eight in our entire history and that team had two five star players and a four star in the starting lineup.....coincidence?

I don't think that's what he meant. He's saying that just because someone is a three star doesn't mean they won't make an impact.

It doesn't but we can't claim that just bc Tennessee signed them that these are going to be the diamonds in the rough......I really feel that most of your recruits need to be top 100 to be a successful program.

I know a lot of you on here think that 3 stars aren't any good and are a waste of a scholarship. I'm going back to 2003 and listing players 100-150 that are 3 stars per Rivals that are in the nba or have played or that have been great at UT...

130) Paul Millsap
148) Aaron Gray

131) Rodney Stuckey
146) Chris Lofton :)

100) Darren Collison
111) Terrance Williams

104) Luke Harangody
135) Bobby Maze
150) Dexter Pittman

104) Cam Tatum
142) Lavoy Allen
145) Festus Ezeli

101) Miles Plumlee
113) Kris Jospeh
115) Reggie Jackson
116) Travis Leslie
122) Draymon Green

111) Aaron Craft (not in NBA yet)
121) Marcus Thornton
144) Victor Oladipo

124) Josh Richardson
142) Trey Burke

So don't write players off that are 3 stars!
Not saying don't go after nothing but 3 stars, all I'm saying is there have been some good 3 stars so before you judge a recruit watch them play or watch some highlight film.

We get 3 star guys and Kentucky gets 7 (5 star guys) so you still think we can win the SEC east like that? :no:

What I meant by this thread was to prove that not all 3 stars are terrible. I didnt post the ones that did well in the NCAA that didn't make it to the Nba...

What I meant by this thread was to prove that not all 3 stars are terrible. I didnt post the ones that did well in the NCAA that didn't make it to the Nba...

You know the last time I saw one of these threads....it was in the football forum backing up dooleys recruiting classes.

We get 3 star guys and Kentucky gets 7 (5 star guys) so you still think we can win the SEC east like that? :no:

If you expect us to keep pace with UK in recruiting, you'll be perpetually disappointed.

Its like a UK fan expecting Mark Stoops to stay on par with Nick Saban. How realistic do you think that is?

And as another poster stated, those lowly three stars beat the mighty Wildcats, chock full of five star talent, by 30 in a game that wasn't even that close.

UK was in the picture for a NC last year?

Preseason #3. They were really starting to play well when Noel went out. 8-2 in the SEC and lost to NC Louisville by 3. They had some early tough losses, but battled back and was in the top 25 right before the Noel injury. They were not in the picture after Noel went out, but they were at least part of the season. I'd be Stoked if TN was ever preseason #3.

Preseason #3. They were really starting to play well when Noel went out. 8-2 in the SEC and lost to NC Louisville by 3. They had some early tough losses, but battled back and was in the top 25 right before the Noel injury. They were not in the picture after Noel went out, but they were at least part of the season. I'd be Stoked if TN was ever preseason #3.

I'd rather be ranked #3 after the season than preseason, preseason rankings don't mean jack.

VN Store

Back