How Rule changes Will Affect the Game

Really like Dortch, wonder if KNS has ever tried to steal him.

Another interesting thought I've seen mentioned is time of games is gonna increase by a lot. A lot of these scrimmages that were supposed to be 20 minutes lasted an hour, so tv slots either need to increase or you're going to miss the start of games more often than last year.

The sad thing is that we're separating the physicality of the NBA even further away from college. College athletes are literally playing a different game.

Guess now is the time to remove the 1-year rule all together. What's the point of of the NBA to make players go play a little biotch of a game if it won't better them in any way?

Reactions: 1 person
Im more worried about games being decided by this magnified subjective call. And I understand other calls are subjective as well like the charge vs block. But this year the official are going to be under a microscope to make sure they are enforcing this new hand checking rule.

I have always cringed when these ticky tack fouls are called. But for the most part refs never used to let those decide a game. I hope they still let the players play decide the outcome.

This is so stupid. Anybody that's played in the paint is going to have a hard time with this.

What about backing down an opponent? Is this allowed or once the offensive players back touches the defensive players chest, is it then a foul on the defense?

I like physical basketball. This is going to be foul city.

The sad thing is that we're separating the physicality of the NBA even further away from college. College athletes are literally playing a different game.

Guess now is the time to remove the 1-year rule all together. What's the point of of the NBA to make players go play a little biotch of a game if it won't better them in any way?

I completely agree. Players will be afraid to properly defend in the post.

Part of the one hand on the hip is not to physically push the player (that is a foul already) but to feel which way the guy is trying to rotate when he's backing you down. It's post play 101.

I see Maymon getting fouled out a lot. I hope not

This is so stupid. Anybody that's played in the paint is going to have a hard time with this.

What about backing down an opponent? Is this allowed or once the offensive players back touches the defensive players chest, is it then a foul on the defense?

I'm gonna be upset if any player the Grizzlies draft for the foreseeable future didn't have at least 5 foul-outs a year in college.

The biggest problem I have with basketball officiating in general is when the refs swallow the whistle in late-game situations. They don't want to call a ton of fouls and impact the game. I'm sorry, but a foul is a foul is a foul is a foul no matter at what point in the game you're in. If there's a foul, blow the whistle. If you don't see a foul, don't infer what you thought you saw.

The change is directed to play outside the paint, they basically want guys to be able to drive without being touched from the 3 point line. Once you're inside the paint there shouldn't be much difference in how it's called.

The change is directed to play outside the paint, they basically want guys to be able to drive without being touched from the 3 point line. Once you're inside the paint there shouldn't be much difference in how it's called.

Ok, so they want more "razzle-dazzle", I see said the blind man.

Maybe the "drivers" should just do what they do, despite the one hand rule.

Lol @ the meatheads who are mad at the rule. Just go watch football.

Not a meathead by any means. I am 6'6" and 180lbs, this rule would have been great in my playing days for me because I got armbarred out of rebounds by defensive lineman playing post. I had bruises on my lower back and hips after several games, but it's part of the game. You don't think that this will impact how physical these kids are in the NBA if they never learn how to play physical?

This just seems like games will take forever, and i dont know about you, but i get really tired of watching the big uglies shoot free throws for an entire game.

The biggest problem I have with basketball officiating in general is when the refs swallow the whistle in late-game situations. They don't want to call a ton of fouls and impact the game. I'm sorry, but a foul is a foul is a foul is a foul no matter at what point in the game you're in. If there's a foul, blow the whistle. If you don't see a foul, don't infer what you thought you saw.

What I hate about basketball is when people try to take the physicality out of a physical game. They should try to bring the college game closer to the play of the NBA, not farther away from it.

And why must I watch football to get my fix of physical play? Contact sports are great for a reason. Don't remove the contact.

Not a meathead by any means. I am 6'6" and 180lbs, this rule would have been great in my playing days for me because I got armbarred out of rebounds by defensive lineman playing post. I had bruises on my lower back and hips after several games, but it's part of the game. You don't think that this will impact how physical these kids are in the NBA if they never learn how to play physical?

This just seems like games will take forever, and i dont know about you, but i get really tired of watching the big uglies shoot free throws for an entire game.

Haha we'll see. I like to think it's not going to make a huge difference. Yeah, the rules are stricter outside the paint, but like us, every other team in America is preparing for the changes. If it does provide the results they want, you'll see more impressive drives to the basket instead of needing to plow through a defender like an offensive lineman just to get inside the 3 point line.

What I hate about basketball is when people try to take the physicality out of a physical game. They should try to bring the college game closer to the play of the NBA, not farther away from it.

And why must I watch football to get my fix of physical play? Contact sports are great for a reason. Don't remove the contact.

It's just hand checks outside the 3 point line. It's not like they're eliminating the center position.

Ok, so they want more "razzle-dazzle", I see said the blind man.

Maybe the "drivers" should just do what they do, despite the one hand rule.

They want it more along the lines of NBA, higher scoring. Not saying it's right or wrong, just saying what they're ultimately trying to do.

Haha we'll see. I like to think it's not going to make a huge difference. Yeah, the rules are stricter outside the paint, but like us, every other team in America is preparing for the changes. If it does provide the results they want, you'll see more impressive drives to the basket instead of needing to plow through a defender like an offensive lineman just to get inside the 3 point line.

McRae should benefit from this big time. As long as no one else does, I'm ok with it.

You must not watch much NBA, this rule change is to make the college game more like the NBA game than it currently is. You can't arm bar and jab guards 30 feet from the basket like you could in the college game.

McRae should benefit from this big time. As long as no one else does, I'm ok with it.

And this has been touched on, McRae should either be at the line a lot, or in the land a lot. Of course on the flip side he now will have to be careful of how he defends opposing wings.

They're eliminating the Tony Allens and Bruce Bowens of the world

You are exaggerating. Seems like you see it as taking away physicality, therefore dismiss it. All it is is no contact outside the 3 point line. You can still defend, you can still block a shot, just don't keep your hand on the dude, and don't arm bar or tackle when the offense starts to move. I don't see what's so unreasonable about it.

You are exaggerating. Seems like you see it as taking away physicality, therefore dismiss it. All it is is no contact outside the 3 point line. You can still defend, you can still block a shot, just don't keep your hand on the dude, and don't arm bar or tackle when the offense starts to move. I don't see what's so unreasonable about it.

Didn't the NBA emplement the new rule a few years ago? I thought that was the NCAA reason for putting it in place to be closer to the NBA game.

What? College basketball is unique because it allows that physical play, but people want that to change and become more like the NBA with more offense and less defense. It's absurd really. We all know the NBA is boring until the last 5 minutes of the game then everyone starts playing for real.

My favorite part about college basketball is the physicality of it, the hard-nosed defense; it's a great game to watch when an opponent gets shut out by the opposing defense.

VN Store

Back